blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 960632 times)
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: May 21, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »

hi, i need $'s in Vegas but I can't go into any shop in the UK as I'm in Hungary. I could bank transfer by calling my bank but theres a chance they want me to do it in smaller chunks.

What would be the recommended way to get $?

I think a lot will depend on where your money currently is, and what route it would need to take to get to your bank (if it is not already sat there)

The solution will be different if your answer is "I have 20M HUF stuffed in my mattress" or if your answer is "it's all on Stars" or "it's on e-wallet in XXX currency" or "it's in a UK bank in £" or whatever.

Clearly the overall goal is to minimise the number of times you have to exchange currency denomination (you will always lose each time you do this, so once is a much better answer than 3 times) and/or minimise the amount of vig you pay.

Can take it to Skype for a more dynamic answer.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: May 21, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »

There is a guy in Vegas - who posts within the money exchange skype group that we are both in who does it for 2%...

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: May 21, 2015, 04:45:21 PM »

There is a guy in Vegas - who posts within the money exchange skype group that we are both in who does it for 2%...

And to put that in perspective.... just about any method of you getting $$ offline yourself and into Vegas as greenbacks will see you lose 2%+ of the value in currency conversion "line loss"

So 2% and just bowl up and be given the money (ignoring any counterparty risk) is a very good deal.

Naturally, there is a way you can do it yourself for 0% and no counterparty risk, but it requires some effort and organisation, so paying a 2% tax not to could well be a very fair price.

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: May 21, 2015, 07:09:09 PM »

I got $10 k at 1.52 @ marks n spencer today
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: May 21, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »

https://transferwise.com/?utm_source=facebook50&utm_medium=paid_social&utm_campaign=GBLookalikesDNF

Who's this lot Huh?
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: May 21, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »

I got $10 k at 1.52 @ marks n spencer today

http://www.change-link.co.uk/ at 1.547 would have saved you £114 today Tony.  Not sure if you were anywhere near it or not, or whether that's enough to make the trip worthwhile for you.

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: May 21, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »

Moneycorp who seem to have taken over most Airport currency exchanges are offering 1.5335 at the moment. Simply order online and collect it, if you are feeling lazy.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: May 21, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »

I never know what to do about the dollar some years I take ££ and change it over there ,others it's the money shop
As I'm going to Tampa in August I figure it will get used
I'm pretty excited about going this year for some reason more so than usual
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: May 21, 2015, 11:39:56 PM »

I changed my modest wad at the Money Shop on Tuesday in York and got bang on 1.53. Went past today and it was back to a smidge over 1.51.  Find them to be the most competitive on the high street. Places like Post Office and M and S (unless paying with an M and S credit card) are woeful in comparison. Even Debenhams is better than them 2!

Best Bitter.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: May 22, 2015, 12:39:29 AM »

In the past I just used the best company on moneysavingexpert's travelmoney comparison tool, or Thomas Exchange Global, if they're best.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: May 22, 2015, 12:46:33 AM »

In the past I just used the best company on moneysavingexpert's travelmoney comparison tool, or Thomas Exchange Global, if they're best.

I tend to use the one on moneysavingexpert I know is decent from experience or recommendation.  They also have to accept debit card.  I used fairfx a couple of day ago and have used thomas exchange and fairfx in the past.  They both seem fairly decent, but this moneycorp rate for picking up at the airport seems very good.  For example, they are paying more than fairfx right now. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
slowmo

View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: May 22, 2015, 03:03:13 AM »

All I would advise guys is that if you need dollars for Vegas then I would do the exchange sooner rather than later. The General election result was good for the pound but I see the $$$$ strengthening quite a bit in the next month and Sterling weakening  so your best bet is to exchange now rather than wait.
Tikay - if you read this I hope to bump into you in Vegas. I am playing the old man's hold -em on 19th and probably the deepstacks thingy the weekend before. Am staying at the Rio for the most part so no doubt run into you in Starbucks.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: May 22, 2015, 07:28:19 AM »

All I would advise guys is that if you need dollars for Vegas then I would do the exchange sooner rather than later. The General election result was good for the pound but I see the $$$$ strengthening quite a bit in the next month and Sterling weakening  so your best bet is to exchange now rather than wait.
Tikay - if you read this I hope to bump into you in Vegas. I am playing the old man's hold -em on 19th and probably the deepstacks thingy the weekend before. Am staying at the Rio for the most part so no doubt run into you in Starbucks.

Simon!

See you there, mate, the Lattes are on you. I'll be in the Media Centre most mornings, so if we don't collide in the Corridor, come see me.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
slowmo

View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: May 22, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »

Didn't know that mornings existed in Vegas !!!! Still at your age you probably are up 5 times a night taking a leak so I understand why you might be an early riser. Sadly we are not all staked superstars like you and some of us actually plonk down our own hard earned  but I will happily raid the kids piggy banks, bring extra dollars and gladly buy you lattes in exchange for your wit, charm and tales of ripping new arseholes in the hi/ low events.
I get into town on the 5th June.  Have you confirmed you west coast trip dates yet as last I read you were going sight-seeing ?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: May 22, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »

Didn't know that mornings existed in Vegas !!!! Still at your age you probably are up 5 times a night taking a leak so I understand why you might be an early riser. Sadly we are not all staked superstars like you and some of us actually plonk down our own hard earned  but I will happily raid the kids piggy banks, bring extra dollars and gladly buy you lattes in exchange for your wit, charm and tales of ripping new arseholes in the hi/ low events.
I get into town on the 5th June.  Have you confirmed you west coast trip dates yet as last I read you were going sight-seeing ?

Wink

I fly from Vegas to LA on 4th June, & from San Diego back to Vegas on 5th June.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: