blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:19:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 275 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 952156 times)
mumblesrock

View Profile
« Reply #4050 on: November 03, 2016, 11:47:51 PM »

Some advice needed please - This will be my first time going to vegas this coming year (planning the first two weeks in June).

Any advice on getting cheap flights - I do not have any air miles, so that is not an option.  I have been told that flights from Dublin are considerably cheaper than the uk?  does anyone have experience of this?  Do airlines have Sales and when is this likely to happen??

Any comments appreciated.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: November 04, 2016, 12:11:31 AM »

Some advice needed please - This will be my first time going to vegas this coming year (planning the first two weeks in June).

Any advice on getting cheap flights - I do not have any air miles, so that is not an option.  I have been told that flights from Dublin are considerably cheaper than the uk?  does anyone have experience of this?  Do airlines have Sales and when is this likely to happen??

Dublin is a good starting point, I find places like Copenhagen/Gothenburg and other Scandi cities can also be cheap and often cheaper than Ireland (we have returns from Copenhagen end of May '17 for £360pp booked last month)

Norwegian have started a direct service from Gatwick so that's an option without leaving the UK first, though the cheap fares often go quick and its low cost so bags/food etc are additional £££

Just had a look at 3rd to 17th Saturday to Saturday, and one stop from Copenhagen via London is just under £400 return with BA. The direct flights from London on those dates are over a grand so the savings are pretty vast.

Edit....if you went 1st to 15th you can get it for £361 return, 1 stop going out via Zurich but 2 stops coming back via Houston and London, very reasonable layover times, nothing more than 2 hours either way.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 12:20:40 AM by hhyftrftdr » Logged

Best Bitter.
mumblesrock

View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: November 05, 2016, 09:08:48 PM »

Any advice on getting cheap flights - I do not have any air miles, so that is not an option.  I have been told that flights from Dublin are considerably cheaper than the uk?  does anyone have experience of this?  Do airlines have Sales and when is this likely to happen??

Dublin is a good starting point, I find places like Copenhagen/Gothenburg and other Scandi cities can also be cheap and often cheaper than Ireland (we have returns from Copenhagen end of May '17 for £360pp booked last month)

Norwegian have started a direct service from Gatwick so that's an option without leaving the UK first, though the cheap fares often go quick and its low cost so bags/food etc are additional £££

Just had a look at 3rd to 17th Saturday to Saturday, and one stop from Copenhagen via London is just under £400 return with BA. The direct flights from London on those dates are over a grand so the savings are pretty vast.

Edit....if you went 1st to 15th you can get it for £361 return, 1 stop going out via Zurich but 2 stops coming back via Houston and London, very reasonable layover times, nothing more than 2 hours either way.
Thanks for this information, it is very helpful......Just a thought If the return flight is stopping at London on route to Zurich can you just hop off the plan at London and not continue onwards to Zurich??
It seems bizarre that flights from European countries stopping at London onwards to Vegas are under half the price!  its madness really!!
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: November 05, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »

Thanks for this information, it is very helpful......Just a thought If the return flight is stopping at London on route to Zurich can you just hop off the plan at London and not continue onwards to Zurich??
It seems bizarre that flights from European countries stopping at London onwards to Vegas are under half the price!  its madness really!!

In theory, you can just hop off but if you have hold luggage, that will be checked through to your final destination. When we do it its only for a week so we don't take a suitcase and just get off at London but this wouldn't be possible otherwise. I'm guessing for 2 weeks you'll be taking a suitcase so looks like you won't be able to swerve the last leg back to Europe sadly.

Best Bitter.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: November 05, 2016, 09:50:52 PM »

Any advice on getting cheap flights - I do not have any air miles, so that is not an option.  I have been told that flights from Dublin are considerably cheaper than the uk?  does anyone have experience of this?  Do airlines have Sales and when is this likely to happen??

In theory, you can just hop off but if you have hold luggage, that will be checked through to your final destination. When we do it its only for a week so we don't take a suitcase and just get off at London but this wouldn't be possible otherwise. I'm guessing for 2 weeks you'll be taking a suitcase so looks like you won't be able to swerve the last leg back to Europe sadly.

There is a way to get around this. Book a flight where you have to change airports in London - eg fly into Heathrow but the flight to Zurich is from Gatwick. You have to arrange your own transfer so they give you your hold luggage back.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: November 05, 2016, 10:27:14 PM »

There is a way to get around this. Book a flight where you have to change airports in London - eg fly into Heathrow but the flight to Zurich is from Gatwick. You have to arrange your own transfer so they give you your hold luggage back.

Is the way to get around it. Google flights is a great tool for slightly more complex itineraries like this, well worth having a fiddle on there with dates and airports and stuff, and if you can work in the above then you're laughing.

Best Bitter.
mumblesrock

View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: November 07, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »

Is the way to get around it. Google flights is a great tool for slightly more complex itineraries like this, well worth having a fiddle on there with dates and airports and stuff, and if you can work in the above then you're laughing.
Thanks for your inputs....   makes sense to try and register on such a flight.  Is there an optimum date to book the flights?  is earlier cheaper?? or a month before the best?? are there ever any deals last minute.
  I have had a look at the Norwegian airlines, they appear to be very competitively priced but no flight detail available for June yet??
Rotty

View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: November 07, 2016, 05:22:26 PM »

If you have hold luggage and want to not board last leg book it flying into LGW and out of LHR or vice versa then you have to collect bags and can go AWOL, another way to do it is to have the connection overnight then you should be able to collect bags so I've heard  (first method I know to work)

Rotty

View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: November 07, 2016, 05:23:25 PM »

ha

typed all that out the saw someone else had already said it Smiley

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: November 07, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »

Don't forget to check the T's & C's

Most will cancel legs if you miss the first leg, but some reserve the right to charge if you miss the last leg, don't think many do but worth checking.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: November 07, 2016, 11:50:20 PM »

Don't forget to check the T's & C's

Most will cancel legs if you miss the first leg, but some reserve the right to charge if you miss the last leg, don't think many do but worth checking.

Apparently BA (and presumably others) have threatened this in the past but I've never known anyone to be charged for actually missing the last leg. I've done it 3 times (twice from Dublin, once from Gothenburg) and never heard a whimper from them about us not going back to the final destination. I think someone on the flyertalk forum (I lurk there occasionally) said legally they don't have much leverage to bill you for missing a flight.

When we were delayed 27 hours by BA last May, we even managed to claim £60 compo alongside the standard 600Euro for the missed last leg from Heathrow to Dublin, despite us having no intentions of ever taking that flight Smiley for balance, a walk up train fare back to York was £96 Sad

Absolutely on the money about the first leg, miss that and you can kiss goodbye to all the other flights on that booking.

Best Bitter.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: November 08, 2016, 10:44:21 AM »

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/flying-club/flying-club-partners/shopping/tesco.html

Earn an extra 10% bonus miles when you convert Tesco Clubcard points into Flying Club miles between 1 October and 13 November 2016.

Plus, if you choose to Auto Convert for the first time within the same period, you’ll get an additional 1,000 miles added to your account.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: November 08, 2016, 06:20:14 PM »

Still not sure I get it, all this "let's travel East on our way to Vegas and save a couple hundred."

If someone works out they can have a free night out in Frankfurt or Dublin or Oslo or wherever and that really appeals, then I guess fair enough.  But for me I couldn't help feeling as I'm sat in a German airport "ffs I could already be in Vegas if I just went direct" and that tilt would not subside until at least a week after the return leg.

While the reward scheme is changing and that may need a change of attack, I've shown before that economy direct returns on Virgin can be had for £600.  Even if I could go via Calcutta and save £200, surely for those planning trips next year it would be more palatable to just clock up a few hours extra O/T, or set aside a slice of a random bink or whatever, between now and then and be done with it?

Enough people seem to want to do the Ireland shuffle for it to be reasonable for them to do, so I guess it must be a reasonable experience.  A night out in Dublin is always a good one, but for anyone remotely time-poor, like me,  I'll just do the 10 hour version direct, tyvm.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: November 08, 2016, 06:27:29 PM »

Still not sure I get it, all this "let's travel East on our way to Vegas and save a couple hundred."

If someone works out they can have a free night out in Frankfurt or Dublin or Oslo or wherever and that really appeals, then I guess fair enough.  But for me I couldn't help feeling as I'm sat in a German airport "ffs I could already be in Vegas if I just went direct" and that tilt would not subside until at least a week after the return leg.

While the reward scheme is changing and that may need a change of attack, I've shown before that economy direct returns on Virgin can be had for £600.  Even if I could go via Calcutta and save £200, surely for those planning trips next year it would be more palatable to just clock up a few hours extra O/T, or set aside a slice of a random bink or whatever, between now and then and be done with it?

Enough people seem to want to do the Ireland shuffle for it to be reasonable for them to do, so I guess it must be a reasonable experience.  A night out in Dublin is always a good one, but for anyone remotely time-poor, like me,  I'll just do the 10 hour version direct, tyvm.

Must be the superb airport hotels, or the fact that Dublin is such a cheap night out Grin

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: November 08, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »

For those going for 6 weeks, sure a night out in Dublin sounds good as a loosener. If I'm going to Vegas for a week though, I'll take 7 nights in Vegas over 5 nights in Vegas and 2 nights in a premier inn.

Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 275 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: