blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:51:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tips for Tikay
Pages: 1 ... 5946 5947 5948 5949 [5950] 5951 5952 5953 5954 ... 9208 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for Tikay  (Read 13433272 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89235 on: October 21, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »

Probably the price I find most bamboozling is the Brighton one.  Who would back them at 6/4 tonight?

Seems very odd, maybe some of our other football experts, or Chompy, have a view?

No personal view on the game, but i believe Brighton are popular with the market/syndicates due to metrics such as a very good shots attempted/conceded ratio that indicates that they are much better than the results show.

this is true, but they don't score goals

a classic metrics v results team (Bournemouth are too, but score goals so the two correlate)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Shrimper1

View Profile
« Reply #89236 on: October 21, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »

Probably the price I find most bamboozling is the Brighton one.  Who would back them at 6/4 tonight?

Seems very odd, maybe some of our other football experts, or Chompy, have a view?

No personal view on the game, but i believe Brighton are popular with the market/syndicates due to metrics such as a very good shots attempted/conceded ratio that indicates that they are much better than the results show.

a classic metrics v results team (Bournemouth are too, but score goals so the two correlate)

Is it not fair to say that the reason they are not scoring goals is simply down to bad luck/short term variance and that this shot data implies that they are in fact a 'decent team' and when luck evens itself out they will scroring plenty of goals and moving up the table?

Just playing devils advocate and there are of course other factors as to why a team with good shot data may be doing poorly, poor keeper, poor strikers, propensity to shoot from range, behind for longer periods so more likely to be pressing and thus shooting more.

I think it a fascinating subject, and perhaps it was just me being unaware but never seemed to hear much about shot data until a couple of years ago when Liverpool were getting backed in the market every single week while everyone bar the syndcates seemed to be laying them and the team were not winning. The reason they were getting backed i believe was due to their impressive shot data. Now most places i read talk about this metric.

Intuitively it feels like there may be an angle being against these teams but then again these big boys are usually right and know a million times more than i, so vey unlikely to be making too many mistakes.

Would love to know other people's thoughts.

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #89237 on: October 21, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »

GBI Racing ‏@gbiracing  6m6 minutes ago
Ryan Moore has confirmed he won't be riding again in Britain this year. Congratulations to Richard Hughes who retains the Jockeys Title

pay pay!
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #89238 on: October 21, 2014, 03:27:14 PM »

let it go 'arry

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/21/harry-redknapp-adel-taarabt-three-stone-overweight-tonsillitis?CMP=twt_gu
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89239 on: October 21, 2014, 03:33:37 PM »

Is it not fair to say that the reason they are not scoring goals is simply down to bad luck/short term variance and that this shot data implies that they are in fact a 'decent team' and when luck evens itself out they will scroring plenty of goals and moving up the table?

Just playing devils advocate and there are of course other factors as to why a team with good shot data may be doing poorly, poor keeper, poor strikers, propensity to shoot from range, behind for longer periods so more likely to be pressing and thus shooting more.

I think it a fascinating subject, and perhaps it was just me being unaware but never seemed to hear much about shot data until a couple of years ago when Liverpool were getting backed in the market every single week while everyone bar the syndcates seemed to be laying them and the team were not winning. The reason they were getting backed i believe was due to their impressive shot data. Now most places i read talk about this metric.

Intuitively it feels like there may be an angle being against these teams but then again these big boys are usually right and know a million times more than i, so vey unlikely to be making too many mistakes.

this is a problem that goes back nearly 60 league games now, in which they have scored 66 goals and more or less coincides with Poyet leaving

They have scored 11 goals in 12 league games this year (only Bolton and Blackpool worse). Not even reinvesting some Ulloa money into Baldock has changed the theme much

Last year 55 in the league (7th worst goalscorers, finishing 6th because they only conceded 40 a fantastic effort). Ulloa was 14 of them, no one else above 5

really solid at the back, play nice stuff, but not many goals through the team, not even from wide, attacking midfield, centre back..nowhere

the season before they were in the play offs, having scored 69

Personally, i thought Huddersfield at nearly 2/1 were a huge price for tonight, but I am a bit of a Chris Powell fanboy

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/huddersfield-v-brighton/winner

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89240 on: October 21, 2014, 03:38:54 PM »

i haven't got time to go through them all but this last weekend

home to middlesborough

16 shots, 13 off target

62% possession

lose 2-1

you can see why they'll show up on stats betting radars, but iirc this is a consistent theme

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-report/index.aspx?matchid=3734191

My eyes are open wide
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #89241 on: October 21, 2014, 03:41:18 PM »

Brighton should probably be slight favourites on stats, but the goals record is going way beyond a short-term variance issue.
Not a bet for me, but if I was going to have one it would be Huddersfield - improved morale, new-ish manager, and (maybe) weather in their favour, versus possible negatives in Brighton camp. Wouldn't put too much on it though.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89242 on: October 21, 2014, 03:43:03 PM »

the two games before that

away at watford

44% possession, 12 shots, 9 off target...score 1 goal

home to cardiff

26 shots!! 18 off target

62% possession

one goal

My eyes are open wide
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #89243 on: October 21, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »

i haven't got time to go through them all but this last weekend

home to middlesborough

16 shots, 13 off target

62% possession

lose 2-1

you can see why they'll show up on stats betting radars, but iirc this is a consistent theme

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-report/index.aspx?matchid=3734191

Was hoping they would turn Boro over on Saturday, for purely selfish reasons...

TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #89244 on: October 21, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »

Horsie put up a link on the Arsenal thread on this subject;

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/17/arsenal-place-trust-arsene-wenger-army-statdna-data-analysts?CMP=twt_gu

And then another one on the Pool site regarding keepers;

http://statsbomb.com/2014/10/goalkeepers-how-repeatable-are-shot-saving-performances/

I replied saying that I think we're still in the early days on this stat analysis for football. 2 years ago, I think the stats were probably not as valuable as today and in another 2 years, they will be better again.
Personally I think the raw 'shots taken/shots on target' stat is not hugely valuable until you can measure the quality of them. That seems to be slowly happening.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #89245 on: October 21, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »

I'd bet a lot of money Bloom and his army of statisticians are way ahead of both the articles published above. I'd eat my hat if they were using shots taken/shots on target as a meaningful stat on its own. I'm fairly sure they will have tracking for the placement of shots in the highest leagues. Not sure how they would do it on in League 2, but they probably struggle to get a bet there anyway.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #89246 on: October 21, 2014, 05:13:03 PM »

I'd bet a lot of money Bloom and his army of statisticians are way ahead of both the articles published above. I'd eat my hat if they were using shots taken/shots on target as a meaningful stat on its own. I'm fairly sure they will have tracking for the placement of shots in the highest leagues. Not sure how they would do it on in League 2, but they probably struggle to get a bet there anyway.

It's very hard to do this in reality compared to say the nba where you can have accurate fg% ft% 3pt% shots in the paint % etc etc stats. 
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #89247 on: October 21, 2014, 05:16:42 PM »

If anybody has BV instabet and wants an interest in the man city game they are 5-1 Sergio Aguero to score first for next 9 mins, 5.5 on bf. Obvs max £20
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #89248 on: October 21, 2014, 05:25:42 PM »

It's very hard to do this in reality compared to say the nba where you can have accurate fg% ft% 3pt% shots in the paint % etc etc stats. 

Wouldn't your multimillion company find a way? And if some blogger/journalist was posting better quality stats online wouldn't you want to a) hire him, and b) get the information taken down.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #89249 on: October 21, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »

Wouldn't your multimillion company find a way? And if some blogger/journalist was posting better quality stats online wouldn't you want to a) hire him, and b) get the information taken down.

Sure it's possible but it's very hard compared to other sports such as the nba.
Pages: 1 ... 5946 5947 5948 5949 [5950] 5951 5952 5953 5954 ... 9208 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: