blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 604991 times)
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: February 16, 2017, 10:12:20 PM »

Could it not be argued that they are overrated by the bookies/general public due to over performance in terms of finishing position? What is their wage budget compared to the rest of the top 6? Finishing positions pretty much directly correlate with the wage budget historically (obv Leicester huge outliers). If they've got the fourth highest wage budget the. He has over performed for 21 years by never finishing below that position.

If they are over performing overall and massively under performing relative to the odds against the bigger boys then AW must be the greatest flat track bully manager in history.  Amazing skill to have as flair teams like Arsenal should really be the total opposite with lazy players not getting up for the Mickey mouse games but that never seems to be the case with AW.

I think you've hit the nail on the head Arb. I think he is the greatest flat track bully. That's why I think Arsenal will struggle for a long time after he goes - Liverpool style. They might win the odd big game but they're much more likely to drop points regularly at places like Goodison Park, the B365 and the Liberty stadium. IMO, In years to come Arsenal fans will be glad of a 4th place  finish, not taking it for granted.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: February 16, 2017, 10:16:38 PM »

A major problem with replacing AW as touched upon by AndrewM in his Arseblog piece today is that it would take a sea-change in the infrastructure of the club.

We will need a "football man" on the board of directors - something we don't currently have.
We will also need a director of football - these two positions could possibly be combined but I don't see it that way.
And then the £64M question we will have to find a successor to our greatest-ever manager which might well be a poisoned chalice in itself.

I like the cut of Eddie Howe's jib, but there is no way he could take over all of AW's responsibilities.

Well known Arsenal fan Piers Morgan has suggested a few names in the recent past including: Owen Coyle, David Moyes, and Harry Redknapp.

It begs the question; why wasn't the groundwork done years ago?

Daft as it may sound - it could well be up to AW to organize those constitutional changes and suggest the candidates.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: February 16, 2017, 10:28:56 PM »

A major problem with replacing AW as touched upon by AndrewM in his Arseblog piece today is that it would take a sea-change in the infrastructure of the club.

We will need a "football man" on the board of directors - something we don't currently have.
We will also need a director of football - these two positions could possibly be combined but I don't see it that way.
And then the £64M question we will have to find a successor to our greatest-ever manager which might well be a poisoned chalice in itself.

I like the cut of Eddie Howe's jib, but there is no way he could take over all of AW's responsibilities.

Well known Arsenal fan Piers Morgan has suggested a few names in the recent past including: Owen Coyle, David Moyes, and Harry Redknapp.

Daft as it may sound - it could well be up to AW to organize those constitutional changes and suggest the candidates.

hftyherehdte sums it up perfectly. If AW is all things to all men Arse wise, then he should have done this long ago, and have plans in place. The apparent COMPLETE lack of a clear succession plan suggests he hasn't quite had Arsenals best interests at heart, probably just his own. Harsh maybe, but the overall picture gets clearer as more points are raised.

Arb and GrahamC spot on. Flat track bully with no idea how to take on those better than us.

We have suffered long enough, blaming no money etc, but that ship has sailed and still no progress.

Tikay loves pointing out it is great business, but if this was a high street business,, who would we compare Arsenal to?

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: February 16, 2017, 10:44:59 PM »

hftyherehdte sums it up perfectly. If AW is all things to all men Arse wise, then he should have done this long ago, and have plans in place. The apparent COMPLETE lack of a clear succession plan suggests he hasn't quite had Arsenals best interests at heart, probably just his own. Harsh maybe, but the overall picture gets clearer as more points are raised.

Arb and GrahamC spot on. Flat track bully with no idea how to take on those better than us.

We have suffered long enough, blaming no money etc, but that ship has sailed and still no progress.

Tikay loves pointing out it is great business, but if this was a high street business,, who would we compare Arsenal to?

lolbrokes!  lolbrokes only took a couple of years to get rid of a bad ceo though!  They are very similar joking aside.  Lolbrokes only interested in picking on defenseless small fry fobt shop mugs and can't compete with the bigger punters who kill them hand over fist.  In all seriousness being a quality flat track bully is a great skill.  Numerous teams have lost title races not being able to do what AW is awesome at doing.  Winning when you are expected to.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:56:13 PM by arbboy » Logged
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: February 16, 2017, 10:51:35 PM »

"Arsenal spent £96m in the summer and £101m two years before. Their wage bill is a smidgen lower than Bayern’s, their net value a touch behind, fifth in the world plays fourth in the world."

Seems they need a new manager
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: February 16, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »

"Arsenal spent £96m in the summer and £101m two years before. Their wage bill is a smidgen lower than Bayern’s, their net value a touch behind, fifth in the world plays fourth in the world."

Seems they need a new manager

4th in the premier league though. Which is exactly where they are.

@fairwaywedge
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: February 16, 2017, 11:30:25 PM »

What was Gent's spend?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: February 17, 2017, 12:10:21 AM »

tottenham net spend over last 5 years is 1 million. says google
whats arsenals
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: February 17, 2017, 01:05:10 AM »

Selling clubs' net spend is always lower.

exstream

View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: February 17, 2017, 01:13:55 AM »

but then surely theyre doing well enough for a selling club with a net spend of 1 million over the last 5 seasons and shouldnt be compared to arsenal
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: February 17, 2017, 01:43:20 AM »

I think it's Wenger's absolute blind loyalty to his favourite players which is his problem. Walcott, Ramsey, Ox and Gibbs are obvious failed investments yet have been given waaaay too many chances than they deserved. It's an example of sheer stubbornness rearing it's head in yet another context with Arsene, a frank refusal to accept that his "British core" wasn't going to make the grade regardless of the effect on the club. Now it's those players who are responsible for making Wenger look like such a crap manager all of a sudden.
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2426 on: February 17, 2017, 04:08:31 AM »

How many Arsenal players would make a TOP SIX starting XI???

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: February 17, 2017, 08:02:54 AM »

All of them? They've been a top six club for the past 21 years.

@fairwaywedge
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: February 17, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »

Press conference at 9am?

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: February 17, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »

well that could be an interesting question....

Of the current top 6, what is your ultimate 11?

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: