blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 605142 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: February 17, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »

A major problem with replacing AW as touched upon by AndrewM in his Arseblog piece today is that it would take a sea-change in the infrastructure of the club.

We will need a "football man" on the board of directors - something we don't currently have.
We will also need a director of football - these two positions could possibly be combined but I don't see it that way.
And then the £64M question we will have to find a successor to our greatest-ever manager which might well be a poisoned chalice in itself.

I like the cut of Eddie Howe's jib, but there is no way he could take over all of AW's responsibilities.

Well known Arsenal fan Piers Morgan has suggested a few names in the recent past including: Owen Coyle, David Moyes, and Harry Redknapp.

It begs the question; why wasn't the groundwork done years ago?

Daft as it may sound - it could well be up to AW to organize those constitutional changes and suggest the candidates.

hftyherehdte sums it up perfectly. If AW is all things to all men Arse wise, then he should have done this long ago, and have plans in place. The apparent COMPLETE lack of a clear succession plan suggests he hasn't quite had Arsenals best interests at heart, probably just his own. Harsh maybe, but the overall picture gets clearer as more points are raised.

Arb and GrahamC spot on. Flat track bully with no idea how to take on those better than us.

We have suffered long enough, blaming no money etc, but that ship has sailed and still no progress.

Tikay loves pointing out it is great business, but if this was a high street business,, who would we compare Arsenal to?

Fortnum & Mason, oozing class.

Spurs would be Lidl (cheap & cheerful), QPR would be Wilkos (cheap, no class), Man City would be Virgin (nobody likes them).

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: February 17, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »

I don't see why Wenger should be allowed to decide when he steps down? Basically saying he's beyond being sacked, and that has to be a dangerous thing for the club?

I could understand if they'd had a trophy laden decade, but its been far from that. It just looks like things have been going gradually stale, over the last 3/4 years in particular, but a reluctance to change anything from the powers that be.

People point to the finances and all that jazz but that's important to the suits, surely all the fans want is glory and to compete. Arsenal are so far behind the competing curve these days, highlighted by finishing above City, Spurs, united, Liverpool, Chelsea etc last season and still not winning it. Not sure a couple of FA cups can mask the general decline since the 'invincibles'.

Only an outsider but if AW is still in charge after summer I'd be amazed (and very disappointed if I was a fan)

It's what is important to the suits & shareholders that matters - they run & own the club, not the supporters & fans. They can - & should - do whatever they feel is best, & they certainly should not be "advised" by their supporters, who are amateurs with zero experience of managing a huge football club in a sustainable manner.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: February 17, 2017, 10:24:15 AM »

A major problem with replacing AW as touched upon by AndrewM in his Arseblog piece today is that it would take a sea-change in the infrastructure of the club.

We will need a "football man" on the board of directors - something we don't currently have.
We will also need a director of football - these two positions could possibly be combined but I don't see it that way.
And then the £64M question we will have to find a successor to our greatest-ever manager which might well be a poisoned chalice in itself.

I like the cut of Eddie Howe's jib, but there is no way he could take over all of AW's responsibilities.

Well known Arsenal fan Piers Morgan has suggested a few names in the recent past including: Owen Coyle, David Moyes, and Harry Redknapp.

Daft as it may sound - it could well be up to AW to organize those constitutional changes and suggest the candidates.

hftyherehdte sums it up perfectly. If AW is all things to all men Arse wise, then he should have done this long ago, and have plans in place. The apparent COMPLETE lack of a clear succession plan suggests he hasn't quite had Arsenals best interests at heart, probably just his own. Harsh maybe, but the overall picture gets clearer as more points are raised.

Arb and GrahamC spot on. Flat track bully with no idea how to take on those better than us.

We have suffered long enough, blaming no money etc, but that ship has sailed and still no progress.

Tikay loves pointing out it is great business, but if this was a high street business,, who would we compare Arsenal to?

Spurs would be Lidl (cheap & cheerful), QPR would be Wilkos (cheap, no class), Man City would be Virgin (nobody likes them).

Half Volley beautifully taken by Mr K!!

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:41 AM »

Half Volley beautifully taken by Mr K!!

It was like Ozil setting it up & Sanchez volleying it in. Too easy.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: February 17, 2017, 10:47:29 AM »

Press conference at 9am?

No good news. Clinging on like a limpet Cry

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »

Now here's a bloke talking some sense:

http://babagrumpy.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/one-arsene-wenger.html

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: February 17, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »

"i will be managing somewhere this season, here or somewhere else"

it's clearly near the end

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35:57 AM »

If you search long enough, you are bound to find someone to agree with you Ralph.

However, I took the time to read it and there are some pointless statements in there.

He has outperformed Conti this season in Head to head- so what! We are miles behind them.

18 other managers are underperforming. I doubt everyone would agree with that. Just because they aint top, does not mean they are under performing.

If we were a close up second/third, playing well, still had a chance in Europe, and looked like we had some gumption, I would be happy. With our resources, and a supposed great Manager, that just isn't the case.

Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: February 17, 2017, 11:50:03 AM »

I read it as well and one line I particularly liked:

"Arsene’s one failure to me is the fact that he has made consistency appear too easy. He has created a sense of entitlement in Arsenal’s fans. Our people now expect Caviar & Champagne with every meal. "

Case in point is this league table since the beginning of last season. Arsenal are the most consistent. If only they had done that over a 38 game season...

Click to see full-size image.
commercial photography locations

Still think it is time for him to go but I can't stand the stick  he is getting.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: February 17, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »

If you search long enough, you are bound to find someone to agree with you Ralph.

However, I took the time to read it and there are some pointless statements in there.

He has outperformed Conti this season in Head to head- so what! We are miles behind them.

18 other managers are underperforming. I doubt everyone would agree with that. Just because they aint top, does not mean they are under performing.

If we were a close up second/third, playing well, still had a chance in Europe, and looked like we had some gumption, I would be happy. With our resources, and a supposed great Manager, that just isn't the case.

Adz, you keep mentioning these resources but I'm still not sure what they are? The finances show Arsenal are the 4th highest paying premier league club and therefore by currently sitting in fourth Wenger is performing at expectation. Has Arsenal's finishing position been below financial expectation (note, not fan expectation) in any of his seasons at the club? For Arsenal to top the league or be a close up second they'd need United, City and Chelsea to underperform and it's not like they are managed by complete no hopers. Put any of those managers in charge of Arsenal and there is a better than average likelihood they'd still be in fourth, or worse.

I like Arsenal but I think the fans were spoilt by the unprecedented run of success in the late 1990s and early 2000s (discounting the war time period). Unfortunately the landscape of the premier league changed dramatically with Abramovic and the Dubai millions, and Arsenal fans don't seem to realise that they are no longer a title challenger. Put Wenger in charge of those teams and I'm sure he'd finish top or second every year as he's the best flat track bully in the business and would have the advantage in terms of resources against the other big teams - a position he hasn't been in since 2004.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: February 17, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »

How many Arsenal players would make a TOP SIX starting XI???

well that could be an interesting question....

Of the current top 6, what is your ultimate 11?

DDG

Valencia Alderweireld Alonso

Kante Fernandinho

KDB Pogba Hazard

Sanchez Aguero

On current form Zlatan,Costa>Aguero but overall, gone for Serge.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: February 17, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »

Isn't it interesting how Arsenal, & Mr W, divides opinion so?

Do we see that level of debate & disagreement about any other EPL Club? If not, why not? Are they all performing to expectations?

Good debate though, for sure.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: February 17, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »

How many Arsenal players would make a TOP SIX starting XI???

well that could be an interesting question....

Of the current top 6, what is your ultimate 11?

DDG

Valencia Alderweireld Alonso

Kante Fernandinho

KDB Pogba Hazard

Sanchez Aguero

On current form Zlatan,Costa>Aguero but overall, gone for Serge.

The rarely spotted 3-2-3-2 formation.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: February 17, 2017, 05:25:04 PM »

BREAKING NEWS:
BAYERN WILL NOT TRAVEL TO ARSENAL FOR 2ND LEG

German giants Bayern Munich say they will not travel for their second leg Champions League (CL) encounter against Arsenal because it will be a waste of resources.
According to CL rules, if a team does not show up for a game, their opponents are automatically awarded 3 points and 3 goals. So, even if Bayern do not go to Ar5ena1, they will still qualify via a 5-4 goal aggregate.

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: February 18, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »

Arsenal tube station

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 ... 279 Go Up Print