blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 604867 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 21, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »

The guardian article with the Brentford Boss i have just posted in tft makes some excellent points.

At some stage likely sooner rather than later when everyone else is collapsing the years of financial prudence will pay

massive +1 to this.  Arsenal will be the best placed of all the EPL major teams to do this if and when it happens.  We could easily see a hugely dominant arsenal team in the future.  I think AW knows this is letting the 'crazy cash' iron itself out whilst they sit back and sit pretty waiting to pounce when the zillionaires get bored with their 'new toy' and disgard it and move onto some other hobby.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 21, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »

In years where financial fair plays rules are in place you mean, and no one actually gets punished for breaking them?...........probably.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 21, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »

All valid points. Shame we have £175m plus in our cash reserves we cant/won't "compete with the big three" with.........
this isn't a shame, its a good thing. Arsenal are run with ultimate long term thinking and you have to admire that in an industry that does the opposite. Any crack in the tv rights market and tighter finncial fair play rules will see arsenal get stronger as others weaken

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 21, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »

I am sure you understood my point, but just for clarity....If we had spent even some of the money, we would probably have won the league, and thus secured an even larger chunk of dough....

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 21, 2014, 12:55:03 PM »

The article barely refers to FFP
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2014, 12:56:18 PM »

The article barely refers to FFP

I didnt read the article, I was referring to your points.

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »

Worth a read but i very much doubt anybody will change there view regardless which is fine
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 21, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »

I am sure you understood my point, but just for clarity....If we had spent even some of the money, we would probably have won the league, and thus secured an even larger chunk of dough....

so you got £175m in the kitty. Fair enough Gareth Bale would have used up all of that with his transfer fee and wages over his contract alone.  Would he have really 100% gtd'd you the title?  Spurs have spent £100m last summer and gone backwards and that's just in transfer fees alone without factoring in the huge long term financial commitments they are saddled with for some of these flops.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 21, 2014, 01:03:38 PM »

doesn't  automatically follow, as the players won't come without recalibrating the wage structure you are sticking to.   That stadium paid for, money in the bank is a huge advantage that a lot of arsenal supporters under-estimate

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
dan

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 21, 2014, 01:15:31 PM »

Wow, really shocked at this.

Arsene Wenger took over as manager in 1996 we were playing uefa cup football and finished 5th the season before and thought it was an achievement. In his first full season he won us the double. We have been playing champions league football ever since and unless I've forgotten we have progressed through the first group stage ever since.

We won the double again 4 years later and only 2 years after that he made us the best team ever over the course of a season (IMHO). He then over saw a massive change in the club, a massive investment by the club and we built the best stadium in Europe (again IMHO) he has kept us competitive ever since. Yeah we have finished 3rd/4th without winning trophies but I am convinced without Wenger in charge this would not have happened. Look at Liverpool, United this season and even the likes of Tottenham who have spent so much trying to catch us, finishing in the top 4 isn't as easy as people think.

If we had been finishing outside of the top 4 we would not be where we are now. We would not be able to afford £42m on ozil we could not have bid £40m+£1 lol for Suarez.

Yes, we sold some players cuz trying to convince players that in 2/3/4 years we would be spending £40m on players and be challenging again is hard footballers have short careers and they along with everyone else wants success now.

We have been challenging for the title again this year and we should win the fa cup. We have just tied the core of the team down to long term deals. The debt on the stadium is reducing season by season and I'm sure the cash that everyone "thinks" that has been there will be spent more and more over the coming seasons. I cannot honestly believe that we have had £100s of million sat there for the last 7 seasons and Wenger has refused to spend it.

It would've been nice to buy a striker in January but I just don't think it was possible. Chelsea were looking too and they aren't shy about spending money but they couldn't get anyone.

Man City could just end up with the league cup, they won nothing last season so throwing bucket loads of cash at a team does not guarantee success although it helps.

Arsene Wenger has set arsenal up so well to be a "super club" over the next decade without ever putting the club at risk.
Arsene Wenger is a legend. Again only IMHO!!!
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 21, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »

Dan.

You are purely the half full vs my half empty(or very empty trophy cabinet).

All you say is correct, but I look at these kids teams he has been nuturing for the last ten years, and none have matured into Premiership winners.

Jose hits the nail on the head when he asks the question is AW lucky to still be in a job for a top 4 team that have won f all for 8 years?

At the end of the day, I desperately hope we win each and every match, but until we start winning stuff on a regular basis as is becoming of a team of our magnitude then I shall continue to question whats going on.

No biggie, Just my opinion! Wink

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 21, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »

Dan.

You are purely the half full vs my half empty(or very empty trophy cabinet).

All you say is correct, but I look at these kids teams he has been nuturing for the last ten years, and none have matured into Premiership winners.

Jose hits the nail on the head when he asks the question is AW lucky to still be in a job for a top 4 team that have won f all for 8 years?

At the end of the day, I desperately hope we win each and every match, but until we start winning stuff on a regular basis as is becoming of a team of our magnitude then I shall continue to question whats going on.

No biggie, Just my opinion! Wink

It's easy for Jose to say that when he has spunked fortunes over the years on players and wages way above arsenal's controlled long term budget.  Would love to see how successful Jose would have been on Arsenal's budget and vice versa for AW.

I think this is a problem with most football fans 'until we start winning stuff on a regular basis as is becoming of a team of our magnitude' what is arsenal's magnitude?  They are a top 4 side, they finish in the top 4 every year.  I stated earlier they are not the first or second biggest club in england on 4 or 5 key stats yet arsenal fans think they have a right to run 'way ahead of the ev curve' every season to use a poker phrase.

They pretty much do what they say on the tin.  Winning FA cup's and Milk cups in 2014 doesn't pay the bills and interest the owners anymore whatever the fan's think.  I think a lot of fans would much prefer to make the knock out stages of the Champs league year in year out than win the FA cup in 2014.  1984 or 1994 it was different.  I think we have to realise a top 4 finish now is the 2nd most important 'trophy' in English football after winning the league itself.  Ask Daniel Levy if he would prefer to finish 4th or win the FA cup every year for 5 years and i am pretty sure what he would choose.  Without the top 4 finish you simply cannot compete long term to 'buy' a squad good enough to even compete to win the EPL.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 21, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »

Sometimes Adzy I wish you would go and support someone else for a while.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 21, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »

To put some numbers to the arsenal trophy debate.  At the start of this season they were as follows:

EPL 14/1
Champs League 33/1
FA/Capital one cup 10/1 both

Therefore assuming each event is unrelated to the chances of arsenal winning any of the others arsenal to go through 2013/14 season without winning a trophy is as follows: (1.07 x 1.03 x 1.09 x 1.09 = 1.31)  So they were 76% likely to win nothing this season.  So if we take these figures for a 5 year period (1.31 to power 5) its only an 11/4 shot (26% likely) that arsenal go 5 years without winning a trophy.  When you actually do the maths what has actually happened isn't as unlikely as the vast majority of arsenal fans would realise.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 21, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »

Sometimes Adzy I wish you would go and support someone else for a while.

Do you not think it is equally frustrating for those of us who wish for more, when people like you just think we are an annoyance. Trust me there are plenty Ralph, who think just like me. Maybe when I am my Dads age I will just be happy to be alive too. Wink

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: