blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340696 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: October 13, 2014, 06:39:42 AM »

Tal you crazy son of a gun, was it too easy going a pawn up that you trade a bishop to make it more interesting?

Apparently, it was Cheesy

The main problem was the queen was on her own. Will no obvious support, there was no realistic hope of getting a quick win.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: October 13, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »

Tal you crazy son of a gun, was it too easy going a pawn up that you trade a bishop to make it more interesting?

The main problem was the queen was on her own. Will no obvious support, there was no realistic hope of getting a quick win.

It makes for fun games though Smiley

I really like your h4 pawn thrust. Even as someone who loves defending that position as black, it does require a great deal of care. One or two bad moves and white can score some crushing victories.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: October 13, 2014, 07:32:34 PM »

It makes for fun games though Smiley

I really like your h4 pawn thrust. Even as someone who loves defending that position as black, it does require a great deal of care. One or two bad moves and white can score some crushing victories.

Yes, it carried minimal risk at my end while forcing black to weaken his position.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2043 on: October 20, 2014, 02:18:06 AM »

Okay, some advice required please...

I want to be able to import and replay my own games (and probably interesting GM games too) through some sort of 'replayer' whilst using a decent engine to help me analyse them.

Are there any good free (or inexpensive) replayers available? I watch a lot of Kingscrusher videos on youtube, and he replays games whilst having an engine running through the replayer. He also is able to draw in arrows and stuff like that as to help him demonstrate lines. Does anyone know what he uses?

Also, what would be the best engine to buy? I want something that is pretty strong (although I guess they all are nowadays) so it can help me spot tactics I have missed. And is it easy to make the engine work in conjunction with a replayer? In Kingsrusher's video he seems to be able to choose from a variety of engines when replaying a game, and the engine gives him the analysis on the same screen as he is replaying the game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2044 on: October 23, 2014, 02:27:58 AM »

Any help on my last question? Tal, McGlashan? Beuler?

Here's a miniature King's Gambit I just played. Didn't play the attack perfectly, but whatever.... it's fun to destroy someone in 13 moves.

1. e4 e5
2. f4 Bd6
3. Nf3  exf4
4. d4  g5
5. Bc4 h6
6. O-O  c6
7. g3  fxg3
8. e5  gxh2+
9. Kh1 Be7
10. Bxf7+  Kxf7
11. Nxg5+  Kg7
12. Qh5 Bf6
13. Qf7#
1-0
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: October 23, 2014, 04:17:52 AM »

Here's a miniature King's Gambit I just played. Didn't play the attack perfectly, but whatever.... it's fun to destroy someone in 13 moves.

1. e4 e5
2. f4 Bd6
3. Nf3  exf4
4. d4  g5
5. Bc4 h6
6. O-O  c6
7. g3  fxg3
8. e5  gxh2+
9. Kh1 Be7
10. Bxf7+  Kxf7
11. Nxg5+  Kg7
12. Qh5 Bf6
13. Qf7#
1-0

I hadn't heard of KingCrusher, if you want a specific answer then just post a link to a relevant video. 

An example of how of how to analyse your latest game on a chess engine would be to open your chess software, cut n paste the list of moves and click the analyse button. Whatever move you're on in the replayer, the engine will analyse that position. To the right of the board you'll have the notation, below that a list of moves that are +/- x amount.

I don't know anything about free engines, all should be sufficiently strong and the latest ones will have more features than you can shake a stick at. One good feature to have is a database of GM games. Essentially it will form an opening book tree that you can keep at all times. For example after inputting the moves e4, e5 it'll say Nf3 is payed 88% of the time, f4 3%. Going down the f4 route it shows black's response as exf4 66%, Bc5 25%, etc.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:50 AM »

Hi Mr Badger

Chess engines are much of a muchness in terms of strength. I've always used Fritz personally, but I have a 2600ELO shredder on my 'phone for quick stuff. I have a five year old version of Fritz and it's fine. I don't care that it's 2900 where you can get 3200. The more you're using it, the more features you want, so I appreciate people want the latest version. It's all a little "I need the iPhone6" "What's wrong with your 5S?" "Nothing, but this has a bigger calendar" to me.

I'd definitely advocate getting Chessbase if you're taking this whole thing more seriously. It is an amazing reference library of literally millions of games. It also is compatible with the main engines. The fourteenth iteration is due out by the end of the year. You have to spend a bit on a starter pack (£140ish?) but there are annual update versions (essentially with all the new games and whatever software updates that the next iteration has) that are much cheaper. You can also store your own games in there, which is useful.

Hope that's some help. I know it's not much!

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: October 25, 2014, 02:35:16 PM »

I hadn't heard of KingCrusher, if you want a specific answer then just post a link to a relevant video. 

An example of how of how to analyse your latest game on a chess engine would be to open your chess software, cut n paste the list of moves and click the analyse button. Whatever move you're on in the replayer, the engine will analyse that position. To the right of the board you'll have the notation, below that a list of moves that are +/- x amount.

I don't know anything about free engines, all should be sufficiently strong and the latest ones will have more features than you can shake a stick at. One good feature to have is a database of GM games. Essentially it will form an opening book tree that you can keep at all times. For example after inputting the moves e4, e5 it'll say Nf3 is payed 88% of the time, f4 3%. Going down the f4 route it shows black's response as exf4 66%, Bc5 25%, etc.

KingCrusher is webmaster/owner of chessworld.net / http://www.letsplaychess.com/ (same site) his name is Tryfon Gavriel, & plays for Barnet Elizabeth & Muswell Hill chess clubs , ECF grade 212 & Fide 2128 & his youtube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDUDDmslypVXYoUsZafHSUQ

played him couple time on chessworld but not for several years , dont watch his video's much myself , prefer some of the GM/IM ones

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: October 28, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »

http://en.chessbase.com/post/bbc-s-across-the-board-magnus-carlsen

Enjoy!

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: October 28, 2014, 10:27:46 AM »

Best just post the link. A game of chess on the radio with the 2 players engaging in conversation just doesnt sell...

Btw it appears your namesake is an official commentator for the WC.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »

Best just post the link. A game of chess on the radio with the 2 players engaging in conversation just doesnt sell...

He's found a good role there.

What do people make of chess commentators?

Is Lawrence Trent the standout guy? Does Danny King explain things best? Ward? Williams? Anyone else?

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: October 28, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »

Chris Ward is also on commentary duty, he's a good 'un.

The top partnership must be Lawrence Trent and Jan Gustaffson, I'd go out my way to listen to them on Chess24.   
VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: October 28, 2014, 04:42:54 PM »

http://viz.co.uk/play-chess-boneo-u2/
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: October 31, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »

He's found a good role there.

What do people make of chess commentators?

Is Lawrence Trent the standout guy? Does Danny King explain things best? Ward? Williams? Anyone else?

Danny King in incred.

WC thoughts Tal?
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: November 02, 2014, 04:40:21 PM »

Man I forgot about Danny King's involvement with Across The Board. He's a dab hand at broadcasting, in that he made the chess game sound interesting to anyone who happened to be tuning in.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: