blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340727 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: March 21, 2015, 02:18:33 AM »

I now have a favourite all time chess player
Nicknamed the Hungry Hungarian and the restaurant runner
Was arrested 54 times for not paying his bill
No idea how good a chess player he was but that's his listed profession
This is one of his arrests

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: March 21, 2015, 02:33:09 AM »

Take it that's Dozsa?

He was a strong player in his day. Drew with the great Lajos Portisch once, I believe.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 21, 2015, 06:06:52 AM »

Yeah charles dozsa
Every genius has a flaw they say
not sure if my flaw is my modesty or my i spent last 25 years pretending my legs dont work i'll let you guys decide

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: April 01, 2015, 09:40:20 AM »

You could be excused for not being entirely familiar with the Streatham and Brixton chess blog, however avid followers of this thread will get the gist of this: http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.ch/2015/04/announcement.html

Following representations made by legal representatives engaged by Mr Raymond Keene OBE, the Streatham and Brixton Chess Blog would like to make the following announcement:

We accept that all Mr Keene's business dealings have been entirely proper and above board, especially those relating to the Interzonal at Tunis in 1985, his contract with Mr Viktor Korchnoi in 1978, his activities relating to Brain Games, his hosting of events at the House of Lords and all such similar activities.

We accept that Mr Keene is in fact a well-respected figure within the chess world and not at all the "tawdry" or "disreputable" figure that we have occasionally sought to paint him. He does not have a circle of cronies, especially not Mr C J de Mooi or Mr Steve Giddins and nor does he misuse his chess columns to plug his friends, family and business partners.

We accept that Mr Keene has at no point ever engaged in plagiarism and nor would he ever do so. Nor would he recycle old material without informing the reader. Except possibly now and then by accident.

We therefore withdraw all claims and allegations that we have made against him and offer a public apology for traducing his good name. We have in addition made a substantial donation to the Brain Trust.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: April 01, 2015, 09:46:05 AM »

!

A reminder indeed that we are posting on a public forum.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: April 05, 2015, 07:11:31 AM »

!

A reminder indeed that we are posting on a public forum.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: April 09, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »

Announced yesterday:

Garry Kasparov vs. Nigel Short, Battle of the Legends

World chess legends Garry Kasparov and Nigel Short will meet later this month for the first Battle of the Legends exhibition match, to be held in Saint Louis, the Chess Capital of the United States.

On April 25-26, former World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov and famed English Grandmaster Nigel Short will play a series of blitz and rapid games at the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis (CCSCSL), rekindling the duo’s match at the 1993 World Chess Championship.

Kasparov is widely considered one of the greatest chess players of all time, one of the youngest World Champions in history, who held the world’s No. 1 spot from 1985 until his retirement in 2005. Hailed a chess prodigy at the age of ten, Short was one of the youngest grandmasters in the world, earning the title at age 19 in 1984. Later he became the first Englishman to compete for the World Chess Championship in 1993.

“Rapid and blitz chess are – as the name suggests, fast and furious," Kasparov said. "The smallest mistake can ruin a strategy quickly. It’s not often that I get to play Nigel and relive that moment on the chess world stage in 1993, and we’re both excited to have Saint Louis as the venue for this exhibition. An international spotlight has been shone on the city thanks to the efforts of the Chess Club and Scholastic Center, advancing chess through its combination of research, scholastic programs and these high-profile events and exhibitions.”

The April match will feature a total of ten games spanning over two days of play, each featuring one game with a rapid time control, and four games with the faster blitz time control. The entire event will be broadcast live on the U.S. Chess Champs web site, featuring live commentary and analysis from a world-renowned commentary team.

“We’re honored to host two of the chess greats for this exhibition match,” said Tony Rich, Executive Director of the CCSCSL. “Our work at the club is focused on raising awareness of chess and we can’t think of a more distinguished match-up to do just that than Garry Kasparov and Nigel Short.”

Schedule: April 25 and 26, with one rapid game, followed by four blitz games each day
Time Controls: Rapid 25 minutes, with a ten second increment; Blitz five minutes, with a three second increment.

The event is unrated, and there will be no tiebreaks in case of a drawn match.

They have played exhibition blitz matches before, but we all remember the 1993 match. Here's a summary of what happened, if you aren't aware:

http://www.mark-weeks.com/chess/93ks$$.htm

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2212 on: April 16, 2015, 04:17:01 AM »

Played a cool blitz game tonight. Look at the position below. As White, I'd had an advantage earlier in the game but had carelessly allowed simplification and opposite coloured Bishops. The position looks pretty equal. But I found an excellent move that leads to a winning advantage for White. Can you spot it?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: April 16, 2015, 07:23:47 AM »

Very nice, HB.

Anyone?

moonandback

View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: April 16, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »

Bxe6 ? if mateyboy takes back with the pawn we give check with the queen and mop up his pawns.

its better that i have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: April 16, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »

Bxe6 ? if mateyboy takes back with the pawn we give check with the queen and mop up his pawns.

How should white continue after Bxe6, Kg7?
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2216 on: April 16, 2015, 06:43:23 PM »

Yeah my move was Bxe6! After the game I checked it with an engine and it was given as the best move, so I was dead chuffed with myself Smiley

After 1 Bxe6 fxe6 2 Qxg6+ Kf8 3 Qxe6 White has a winning position since his three extra pawns are going to be too much for Black to cope with, even with an extra piece. The White Queen on e6 is really well positioned too; it controls key squares, defends the pawn on b3, and creates threats - for example it is currently threatening to win the h6 pawn. Black probably has to play 3...Kg7 to defend the h6 pawn. White can then get his extra pawns moving with 4 f5 and should be able to win eventually because his advancing pawn mass will prove stronger than Blakc's extra Bishop.

Yes, this is Black's best defence. And White may not be strictly winning after this move. The engine gives it as 1.5, but of course engines are materialistic and might not fully take into account Black's drawing chances given the opposite coloured Bishops. But whether White is technically winning with best play or not, he definitely has an advantage here and can hope to win, whereas without Bxe6 White does not have any serious winning chances.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: April 16, 2015, 11:50:43 PM »

Yes, this is Black's best defence. And White may not be strictly winning after this move. The engine gives it as 1.5, but of course engines are materialistic and might not fully take into account Black's drawing chances given the opposite coloured Bishops. But whether White is technically winning with best play or not, he definitely has an advantage here and can hope to win, whereas without Bxe6 White does not have any serious winning chances.

This is a nice little tactic btw. Very frequently opposite coloured bishop endings result in a draw. One side controls dark squares, the other controls light squares and as a result neither side can make sufficient progress up the board. Even when one side is a pawn up it is still drawish.

When you said white had a move that lead to a winning advantage, the move order Bxe6, Kg7, Bc4 had to be checked out. Once the queens come off the board, white looks to have a comfortable end game thanks to an advanced e-pawn, better positioned king and one less pawn island.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: April 20, 2015, 11:00:03 AM »

That performance in St Louis seems a distant memory. Carlsen won their game yesterday with black with relative ease.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/shamkir-r3-carlsen-so-win

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: April 22, 2015, 07:03:10 AM »

Anand with a brilliant novelty, Mamedyarov outmanouvred Kramnik, but Carlsen steals the show with an absolute masterpiece.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/shamkir-r5-a-day-of-beauty

What a day!

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: