blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:38:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Post bust-out handshakes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post bust-out handshakes  (Read 25143 times)
Junior Senior

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:02:57 PM »

Thoughts?

Some guys are mad keen to shake hands after either busting you or having been busted. I can't say I have really much cared for it either way. I will almost always shake hands with someone if they offer but am kind of just not bothered either way. Do I need to improve my etiquette or find some other question to post when I am bored?

Just wanted to canvass opinions
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »

Not bothered either way, will always shake someones hand if they offer it and I don't have big reason not to. Have occasionally offered my hand if I like/ got on with the person who bust me.

ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »

They can all sod off, i want to stand up, say 'well played and good luck to everyone' and then go. It feels like a rub for the person who knocked you out to shake your hand. Would never refuse it though.

Some guy i played a big cash hand with was the perfect example, i'd been smashing up all night, we got in a 3k pot (big for me) and i got him to stick the lot in on hte turn with 2 outs, he jumps about screaming and fist pumping when he hits to stack me and then comes over for a hand shake, the very last thing in the world i wanted to do at that moment was shake the guys hand.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »

I think it's more appropriate when deep, when a guy takes me out in level 3 and goes to shake my hand I'm like err ok then.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »

I think it's more appropriate when deep, when a guy takes me out in level 3 and goes to shake my hand I'm like err ok then.
Thought the youth of today would be more fist pumpers?

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »

Thought the youth of today would be more fist pumpers?

No?! Defo the other way around. We just GIQ.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »

Yes, I would say how deep I get in a tourney and my inclination to shake my defeaters hand has a definite positive correlation. Some guys almost seem to think its the done thing for each bust out.  I also think when you know the person well and it's been a long tough genuinely enjoyable battle I am more likely to 'get' the handshake thing.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »

Yes, I would say how deep I get in a tourney and my inclination to shake my defeaters hand has a definite positive correlation. Some guys almost seem to think its the done thing for each bust out.  I also think when you know the person well and it's been a long tough genuinely enjoyable battle I am more likely to 'get' the handshake thing.

Agree

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »

If I bust someone and they want to shake my hand fair enough.

If they bust me, they can GTFO.

All seems a bit pointless tbh.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Killer River

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »

I see poker as a challenge or even a battle . So would you shake hands with the guy who struck you down with his sword...... erm no.
Or i just handed £100 to the bookie for a bet, and I lost.... I better go and shake his hand for taking my money . all in all i would never offer my hand out to someone who i just knocked out, I think its an insult to them really. But if i was presented with a hand to shake then i would do it out of politeness of course.

but the fact you chose "disney songs on youtube" over HEM and then lost 12 bis when you know you should lose 4 maximum just shows a massive sign of disrespect
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 04:47:22 PM »

Can't say I remember having heard poker called a gentleman's game, but many other sports it's polite to shake the hand of your opponent win or lose. Can't say this should apply to cash games where there' no level playing field, but in tournament poker why not. Even had players wanting to shake my hand as a dealer when I'd dealt a horrid beat, it's just a recognised way of saying no hard feelings, it is after all a game like many others, and there's no reason to be a bad loser, a friendly handshake doe no harm, and that kind of atmosphere would I think make it more appealing to outsiders to come and play, adding value, and how can anyone not like that?

What do I get, no sleep at night.
Gizsumcash

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »

I feel worse if someone offers to shake my hand after they have busted me out, especially if i was ahead, never refuse it though.

I love my fear
JK

Probably the worst player here

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »

Pretty much what Alex said. If its early on, then whats the point. However, if iv got really chatty with somebody, I will defo shake hands with them if they bust me. Guess thats just me being friendly though
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »

I SAY F O
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »

I SAY F O

IS IT

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score