blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:49:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Darts Betting and discussion
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darts Betting and discussion  (Read 488520 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: May 08, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »

There has to be an argument to freshen up the PL format. The increase to 10 runners hasn't worked as no matter who gets the wild cards they tend to be fodder.

What would you do?  Go back to the original format of 8 players?  No relegation (its irrelevant anyway) and games first to 8 instead of 7?  Draws less likely then but still remain the same price!  If you didn't do that what would you suggest?  It has to fit a 3 hour show not sure what else they can do with it?
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: May 08, 2017, 08:36:18 PM »

Even though Taylor said he's off the tour next year, the Premier League isn't technically a tour event.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a wild card to play.

Problem is that the top 8 are so far clear of the rest.

And the top 4 are so clear of players 5-8.

Premier League is getting far too predictable. I wonder what price you would have got correctly stating the 4 to make the playoffs.

Kim and Klaasen have got their arses handed to them on a plate, just like Smith, Bunting, Thornton and countless others have in the past.

If Wadey carries on the way he's going, it's likely to drop from a top8 to a top 7...

Wade is like Everton in the EPL still miles clear of the rest but can't compete at all with the big boys. He is playing to his peak most of the time he just isn't talented enough to compete at the modern day top level now.  He hasn't regressed for me the others have just got substantially better and/or are much more naturally talented.  As long as he knows his level and can stay motivated to just be the 6th or 7th best player in the world at best he can still keep making £250k a year for the next ten years.

As for whether he will retain his prem league place is unsure as it is an invitation event where only the top 4 in the world are gtd a place.

The fact its an invitation event is what makes me think Taylor plays again next year.

He definitely could.  He still draws the crowds and sells tickets.  Not sure he would fancy travelling around UK and Europe on 15 Thurs nights in a row however for little prize money relative to his glory days.  If he wins this year as a 12/1 shot surely Hearn will demand he defends it?

No other commitments for the year, just the Premier League.

He'll be a commentator and do the travelling anyway if he isn't playing, so he might as well play.

I really hope he never commentates.  Jesus listening to that Stokie accent constantly would drive me nuts with his constant snidey comments about the players.

Of course he'll commentate!

He owns 33% of the PDC, if he wants to commentate, he will.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 08, 2017, 08:40:22 PM »

There has to be an argument to freshen up the PL format. The increase to 10 runners hasn't worked as no matter who gets the wild cards they tend to be fodder.

What would you do?  Go back to the original format of 8 players?  No relegation (its irrelevant anyway) and games first to 8 instead of 7?  Draws less likely then but still remain the same price!  If you didn't do that what would you suggest?  It has to fit a 3 hour show not sure what else they can do with it?

I doubt many people love the darts as much as me, but I must admit I'm getting bored of the Premier League.

We know who are going to make the playoffs and who'll get relegated before the tournament begins.

Just drags on too bloody long.

Everyone plays everyone once instead of twice would be my suggestion.

Would increase variance and maybe let someone else get in the top 4.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 08, 2017, 08:51:50 PM »

What would you do?  Go back to the original format of 8 players?  No relegation (its irrelevant anyway) and games first to 8 instead of 7?  Draws less likely then but still remain the same price!  If you didn't do that what would you suggest?  It has to fit a 3 hour show not sure what else they can do with it?

I doubt many people love the darts as much as me, but I must admit I'm getting bored of the Premier League.

We know who are going to make the playoffs and who'll get relegated before the tournament begins.

Just drags on too bloody long.

Everyone plays everyone once instead of twice would be my suggestion.

Would increase variance and maybe let someone else get in the top 4.

The thing i would change is making jackpot take it seriously.  The top 8 in the world as it stands can all beat each other up on any given night.  Lewis never has turned up every week for an entire season.  Maybe if the format was shorter this might happen.  Can't see them reducing the length of it though.  Sky need the Thurs night slot to compete with BT sport and the Euro league.  

The top 8 have such an advantage both in talent and the fact they are so used to the constant travelling every Thurs night to the venues.  Anyone new coming in it pretty much always going to get torched because they are not as talented and a total rookie to the travelling week in week out.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:53:41 PM by arbboy » Logged
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 08, 2017, 11:31:09 PM »

I've been bored of the prem league for a good few years now. Goes on far too long.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: May 09, 2017, 08:24:48 AM »

MVG vs Garry Anderson, #1 vs #2 in the world and a certain bookmaker will lay you 16/5 on Garry winning, thats too big but I wouldn't wanna bet at 2/1 and that in itself is pretty ridiculous.

I think Garry is actually a decent way ahead of Wright too, and I am 100% sure that Wright is a LONG way ahead of Adrian Lewis, all the natural talent, flair and utter brilliance of Lewis but for the last 3 years Garry and MVG bring it every time, Wright kind of the same but only this year he's really consistently been at their level, Lewis average since 2016 is just under 98, which is a full 4 and 5 points behind the top two, with a pretty workmanlike chekcout number, just doesn't cut it to be mentioned in the same sentence.

As for 5th and 6th, Chizzy is brilliant but far too inconsistent and cant seem to close out, which leads me to think he'll struggle to ever actually win a major which if you wanna challenge the top 3 you're gonna have to do with how good they are and how the rankings work...I can defo see chizzy getting to #4 in the world but I think that's it for chizzy. Now James Wade, not only can he not compete with top 4 above him, he really can't compete with the guys below either, his doubling is what everyone goes on about "yeah he doesn't score but he's a laser on the finishes"...since 2016 his checkout % has been 40% which is very good but not world class by ay means and when you score as poorly as he does in todays game you're gonna get filled in constantly. He's only £50k ahead of 10th place (with PT and Barney who dont play much) but some real grinders like Jelle and Mensur below him, seriously it's looking very bad for wadey, on a 1 year form book he should struggle to beat a lot of the top 16. See it in his eyes too, lost the drive, honestly, he's done.

Can see him out of the top 10 after the worlds and out of the top 16 the following year.

I think they should have 2 matches each per night, best of 8 legs.

Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 09, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »

I don't know to be honest but my interest really has waned in the last couple of years due to the predictability of it.

Despite there being more depth in the game than there has ever been there is still a big gulf from those at the top to those in 10th. The other problem is when a player has a breakthrough year they get a CL spot then get beaten up every week which wrecks their confidence and sets them back. Bunting, Smith etc are shadows of the players they were beforehand. Price and Gurney are probably the next two in the running to get a shot but the same will happen to them as they just aren't yet at the level to compete consistently with the big boys.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 09, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »

I don't know to be honest but my interest really has waned in the last couple of years due to the predictability of it.

Despite there being more depth in the game than there has ever been there is still a big gulf from those at the top to those in 10th. The other problem is when a player has a breakthrough year they get a CL spot then get beaten up every week which wrecks their confidence and sets them back. Bunting, Smith etc are shadows of the players they were beforehand. Price and Gurney are probably the next two in the running to get a shot but the same will happen to them as they just aren't yet at the level to compete consistently with the big boys.

Agreed Wes Newton was literally put in a confidence coffin after his PL experience.  I don't routinely watch it every Thurs like i used to do but then i didn't watch deal or no deal in its 10 year like i did in the first few years.  I think it is just boredom with the whole event tbh nothing to do with the gulf in class with the players.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 09, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »

Agreed Wes Newton was literally put in a confidence coffin after his PL experience.  I don't routinely watch it every Thurs like i used to do but then i didn't watch deal or no deal in its 10 year like i did in the first few years.  I think it is just boredom with the whole event tbh nothing to do with the gulf in class with the players.

Yeah there's definitely an element of that as I'm sure it was predictable in its early days with Taylor winning on the bridle.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 09, 2017, 12:55:40 PM »

I actually think the league is way more competitive now (if you just take the top Cool than in Taylor's era.   The top 2 players have only won 60% of their 15 games this season and the bottom two players have only lost 8 out of 15 of their games.  This is as competitive as it has ever been for me.  I just think it is fatigue of the same event week after week for 4 months on a Thurs night at the same venues.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Premier_League_Darts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Premier_League_Darts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Premier_League_Darts
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:57:31 PM by arbboy » Logged
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 09, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »

Pretty nuts that the PL is played at the O2 now when it was playing leisure centres in 2005

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 09, 2017, 07:23:36 PM »

I don't routinely watch it every Thurs like i used to do but then i didn't watch deal or no deal in its 10 year like i did in the first few years.  I think it is just boredom with the whole event tbh nothing to do with the gulf in class with the players.

Point 1) Deal or No Deal, GET A JOB MATE!

Point 2) Bet bigger Tongue

Anything else I can help with Smiley

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 11, 2017, 05:39:31 PM »

Lewis vs Taylor...

What you think?

exstream

View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 11, 2017, 06:23:52 PM »

Depends what lewis shows up innit
Go chisnalllllll
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: May 11, 2017, 06:50:46 PM »

He sometimes plays amazing games vs PT, sometimes he looks very timid... I kinda wanna back him as the straight and narrow he;s too big but he doesn't really give a fuck about the PL at the best of times. got huge tilt all over it.

You big on the chizzy train too?

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 ... 236 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: