blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Darts Betting and discussion
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darts Betting and discussion  (Read 488494 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: December 20, 2017, 12:35:47 AM »

So, does Adrian Lewis still get a wild card spot for the Premier League after that?

Would it be better for him if he didn’t - he’s still only 32, first round loss here plus an empty spring might give him the kick up the arse he needs to put the effort in to raise his game.

Lewis was a bit unlucky.

Played well enough to massacre most qualifiers. Munch just had the 45 minutes he could only dream of.

8x180s? Doubt he's ever had that many in a day of practice.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: December 20, 2017, 02:55:32 AM »

With the year he's had and thr draw he got its nothing short of an absolute disaster for jackpot that.

Outside world #18 next year, get ready for a tough year jackpit

Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: December 20, 2017, 04:19:23 AM »

So, does Adrian Lewis still get a wild card spot for the Premier League after that?

Would it be better for him if he didn’t - he’s still only 32, first round loss here plus an empty spring might give him the kick up the arse he needs to put the effort in to raise his game.

He shouldn’t but I think he will.

Dropping outside the top 16 and missing out on a PL place might just be the ticket up his arse he needs.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: December 22, 2017, 08:56:28 AM »

Seen on Twitter this morning, Tweeted by a well-respected blonde;

Is there a more overblown "sport" than darts?

Probably the wrong thread to pose such a question, but I know where he's coming from.

Great punting medium, though.

I suppose it's like that Jonathon Rea thing - it staggered me that some had never heard of him, as I never miss WSB events.

I watch a LOT of televised sport, almost all sport is of interest to me, but so far I've not watched a minute of the current Darts WC. It's such a contrast to the excellent coverage & presentation of the snooker seen of late. 

Curiously, the Darts thread has been deathly quiet during the biggest event of the year.

Each to their own I guess.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:01:44 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: December 22, 2017, 09:15:38 AM »

Perhaps its a bit more of a niche sport than some.

Just in my workplace (20+ sports traders) it seems you have to be really really into it and never miss a match (like 5 of us), massively into getting wankered and going to watch it live (3 of us - im including myself in both) or just not that bothered about darts and think its a game not a sport (the other 13).

They've done an amazing job of growing the sport over the last decade but it is one of those sports that isn't necessarily generally loved by the widespread public imo. I actually think the coverage is improving year on year but when it becomes more stat focused and more younger analysts who love the sport (Dan Dawson is one) get more airtime it will get better.

Maybe the "darts boom" won't last forever but I hope it does.

In other news,

Van Der Voort @ 1.71 looks a huge price this aft. Also like Van Den Bergh @ 1.65 but would be 2nd choice.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:18:37 AM by Horneris » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: December 22, 2017, 09:25:07 AM »

Perhaps its a bit more of a niche sport than some.

Just in my workplace (20+ sports traders) it seems you have to be really really into it and never miss a match (like 5 of us), massively into getting wankered and going to watch it live (3 of us - im including myself in both) or just not that bothered about darts and think its a game not a sport (the other 13).

They've done an amazing job of growing the sport over the last decade but it is one of those sports that isn't necessarily generally loved by the widespread public imo. I actually think the coverage is improving year on year but when it becomes more stat focused and more younger analysts who love the sport (Dan Dawson is one) get more airtime it will get better.

Maybe the "darts boom" won't last forever but I hope it does.

In other news,

Van Der Voort @ 1.71 looks a huge price this aft. Also like Van Den Bergh @ 1.65 but would be 2nd choice.

That seems a fair response.

I watch it most years, but have been a bit cba about it this year.

I'll maybe watch it after the Xmas break, when it gets to the sharp end.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: December 22, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »

i must confess i don't get it

never been live but you can't see the board with the naked eye i expect so you watch on big screens either side of the board

except a lot of the crowd don't watch, they are getting wankered

so a ticket for an evening there costs? £30?£50?

why aren't these guys piling into a pub for free, putting it on a big screen and saving the ticket cost? can still have a sing song (the repetitiveness of those songs, please get a bigger repertoire) in there

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: December 22, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »

never been live but you can't see the board with the naked eye i expect so you watch on big screens either side of the board

why aren't these guys piling into a pub for free, putting it on a big screen and saving the ticket cost? can still have a sing song (the repetitiveness of those songs, please get a bigger repertoire) in there

I think the alcohol think might be the issue.

For a non-drinker like me, when I go into a room full of drunk folks, I think they all look pretty damn stupid, & they think exactly the same of me. The thing is though, we can't communicate at all, as I don't understand why they drink, & they don't understand why I don't drink.

Same watching the darts - I sit there rolling my eyes at all that drunken behaviour, but they are enjoying themselves & doing me no harm.

Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: December 22, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »

Nice one Horneris! Going to have to ask Santa for a wheelbarrow to get really stuck in after xmas!
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: December 22, 2017, 05:24:23 PM »

Cheers Ledders, neither of those were particularily sweat worthy, went well.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: December 22, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »

I'm glad I went once but would never go again, darts definitely incidental and I  was with a couple of guys who play league darts.

If you try a different song the bouncers close it down pretty quick. After half an hour you feel like an extra in a production of a really bad musical , but our Santa hats, beards and glasses got us on TV so job done :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: December 22, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »

I think the alcohol think might be the issue.

For a non-drinker like me, when I go into a room full of drunk folks, I think they all look pretty damn stupid, & they think exactly the same of me. The thing is though, we can't communicate at all, as I don't understand why they drink, & they don't understand why I don't drink.

Same watching the darts - I sit there rolling my eyes at all that drunken behaviour, but they are enjoying themselves & doing me no harm.

Did the premier league once. Someone was being sick on the way in.

Once inside, we watched on a screen, waiting to hear how many the players had scored. All you could hear was the rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb of beerswilling louts who had no interest in the events.

They'd stand and cheer the 180s in the first match.

Then every other one in the second.

By the third, they only stood up at the breaks, which they were alerted to, when their conversations were interrupted by the first drum beats of Chase the Sun ("the darts song"). Most managed to hold their squidged plastic pint pots so as not to spill any amber toilet water while they hugged their mates for the "oi oi oi".

By the last match, the floor was sodden with a near torrent of beer and I was thoroughly miserable.

Some more sick on the way out. I won't describe the toilets.

Not been back.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: December 22, 2017, 07:28:17 PM »

^^^ This describes exactly what it looks like on the TV. Never felt compelled to find out whether it was a true reflection of the actual experience. TBF, though, there’s a very similar experience at most stadium gigs, unless you wanna get crushed & battered down at the front where you don’t rely on the screens to see what’s going on.

I loved playing darts when I was a member of a sports & social club. Great fun to see how straight you could throw when increasingly smashed.
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: December 23, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »

I go to Blackpool every year and I absolutely love it. Fantastic atmosphere and a real eclectic mix of people all enjoying the darts. You can see great and the crowd are up for every dart thrown.

Bucket List item for me next week as I'm going to Ally pall on the 29th.

Love the darts.
Killerkilsby

View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: December 23, 2017, 09:44:35 AM »

From a different perspective:

5 years ago, I didn't watch the darts, the thought of watching someone throw arrows at a board for hours on end bored me. To be honest, in its pure form I think its a real niche sport.

However I watched on TV and saw the fun they were having, and decided to go 4 years ago. I loved it. When a real good serious/close game is on the crowd is surprisingly quiet, a few minorities but generally people try and watch, yes you are seeing it on a screen but to all celebrate a 180/170 finish with 2000 others is something you can't recreate in a pub!

Since then ive travelled the UK following and rarely miss a match at home I am a perfect target for modern PDC love a drink and a sing but care about the darts too, the more people like me go and pay to watch, the bigger the prizes, the better the standard ergo the better the darts.

On a coach down now with 26 other guys dressed as penguins. Love the darts!!

Oi oi oi!
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 ... 236 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: