blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:13:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272598 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Cycling Betting & Discussion.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 ... 139 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cycling Betting & Discussion.  (Read 287100 times)
cheapwetsuit

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: May 10, 2014, 02:37:34 AM »

I've got a few thoughts on this year's Giro...

Firstly, stay away from the outright GC market. Nairo Quintana is likely to win the overall, and at odds-on holds no value whatsoever (especially when you consider that one crash could end it all, a la Daniel Martin in today's time-trial). All the other contenders for the GC are priced in, with Cadel Evans (8/1 @ Spoilsports) being the most attractive. When you consider that he is effectively riding for 2nd place, however, 2/1 at quarter-odds is a far less attractive investment.

I've had a little wager on a few rank outsiders: Daniel Martin @ 150/1 (went off @ 30/1)  , Wout Poels, Julian Arredondo and Thomas de Gendt. But these are all banzais which are very unlikely to make a return.

Secondly, there might be a smidgen of value in the team classification market. Astana and Movistar have the two strongest squads in the Giro, and are therefore joint favourites. The thing is, with Movistar riding for Quintana, they would be more than willing to sacrifice their ambitions as a team if things got tight at the top, with some domestiques saving their legs at key moments in the race. Also, without Iglinskiy in their squad (due to passport issues), Astana are missing a vital component in respect of their ability to deliver on mountain stages and in time-trials. As a result, I've gone with some value in the form of BMC Racing Team (best 33/1) and Omega Pharma Quick-Step (best 66/1). BMC have 3 top climbers in Evans, Sanchez and Hermans, and a first-rate TT squad. OPQS have Uran, De Gendt, Poels and Serry in the mountains (and again a strong TT squad). In case you didn't know, the top 3 riders from each team have their times added together for each stage, with the biggest time discrepancies coming in the mountain and TT stages.

Thirdly, I've been rather interested by the prices on offer in the King of the Mountains classification market. Since 2007, Italians riding on invitational teams have done rather well in this category. The recent winners of the KOM have been:
2013 Pirazzi (ITA) Bardiani-CSF
2012 Rabottini (ITA) Neri Sottoli
2011 Garzelli (ITA) Acqua & Sapone
2010 Lloyd (AUS) Predictor-Lotto
2009 Garzelli (ITA) Acqua & Sapone
2008 Sella (ITA) Ceramica Panaria-Margres
2007 Piepoli (ITA) Saunier Duval-Prodir

The reason for this is that a lot of the points for the KOM are spread over peaks which are located in the middle of the mountain stages ... and not just at the end. This means that the riders in breakaways tend to hoover up the points mid-stage, whereas the GC contenders tend to fight for the points on offer at the line. This year, for example, the Cima Coppi (the highest point in the race, at which the most KOM points are on offer) is located on the Stelvio ... which falls mid-stage. Given that the Giro is an Italian stage race, it goes without saying that the Italian teams (and riders) are motivated to do well in front of their home fans, and they will therefore be in a lot of breakaways. The Italian invitational teams for this year are Androni Giocattoli-Venezuela, Bardiani-CSF and Neri Sottoli (NRI). If we take the unattractively priced favourite, Pirazzi @ 9/2, out of the equation ... hoping that he'll be a marked man ... we are left with the following interesting candidates:
Matteo Rabottini (NRI)         14/1    2014 - 3rd Overall Coppi e Bartali
Francesco Bongiorno (BAR)   66/1    2014 - 4th Overall Coppi e Bartali, 14th Overall Giro del Trentino
Franco Pellizotti (AND)          100/1  2014 - 6th Overall Coppi e Bartali, 9th Overall Giro del Trentino
Marco Canola (BAR)             unpriced    2014 - 1st KOM Tirreno-Adriatico

I've also thrown in the following attacking Italian riders as possibilities:
Davide Villella (ITA) Cannondale    100/1    2014 - 1st KOM Vuelta a Pais Vasco
Matteo Montaguti (ITA) AG2R      100/1    2014 - 3rd KOM Vuelta a Pais Vasco, 2013 - 5th KOM Vuelta a Pais Vasco

As you can see, there is a lot of potential value here ... but it needs a bit of refinement, and a second pair of eyes. Tonji? If I had to propose a safe bet, I'd go for Rabottini each-way, because he has a good chance of winning it outright, and is almost certain to be in the mix (barring a crash). I'll be keeping an eye on the KOM throughout the Giro, as things can change dramatically from stage to stage. A rider that scores points one day is unlikely to score points the next, owing to fatigue. So picking one's stages correctly is crucial to tactics.

Anyway, I hope you didn't drift off mid-post. In summary, it's a very tough market this year, because, as I've said before, the odds compilers are becoming more clued up. Saying that, I've got an interesting angle for Stage 5, so I'm waiting on the prices for that one. Fingers crossed.
cheapwetsuit

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 14, 2014, 04:58:46 AM »

Sorry, Tal. Was going to post up a recommend for Stage 5 of the Giro, but once I analysed the parcours a bit more, it became a no-bet. Going to keep my powder dry for another week.

Was looking at yet another angle, but there again, once I did the spreadsheet, the numbers didn't match my feelings. I'm waiting on tomorrow's stage result, before I explore this avenue any further.

Basically, things are starting to get a bit clearer, but it's still muddled.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 14, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »

Roll Eyes

As Homer said:

"I can't take his money. I can't print my own money. Why don't I just crawl into a heap and just die?!"

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Rubbish2407

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1173 on: May 15, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »

Carnage in stage 6, bodies everywhere.

"The Full Eso Kral": To back every possible outcome in an event and lose whatever happens.
Keith Hawkins 10/01/2014
cheapwetsuit

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 15, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »

Carnage in stage 6, bodies everywhere.

This year's Giro is turning into a bit of a lottery. Not seen the results yet, but apparently Joaquim Rodriguez lost 7 minutes to the leaders today. It also seems to have been a good day for anyone that got on my BMC team classification recommend. But I do wish that the rain would go away, so we can get some proper results. Saying that, all the stage favourites seem to be winning so far.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: May 15, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »

Any betting on the tour of California stages? Can't find anything other than the outright

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
cheapwetsuit

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: May 15, 2014, 06:04:03 PM »

Any betting on the tour of California stages? Can't find anything other than the outright

Next Door and PP both have markets up. Why? You have a tip?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: May 15, 2014, 06:23:54 PM »

Have been given one, yes, in conversation with a chap at work who has a slightly scary knowledge of cycling.

One of the Yates twins, apparently. Views? Sure he said stage six, tho.

Will accost him tomorrow with the market and hopefully return with more details. When does the stage start? Assuming late evening our time?

cheapwetsuit

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 15, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »

Have been given one, yes, in conversation with a chap at work who has a slightly scary knowledge of cycling.

Will accost him tomorrow with the market and hopefully return with more details. When does the stage start? Assuming late evening our time?

Assume he means Adam Yates to win Stage 6 which has a summit finish. Good tip. Although I imagine he'll be one of the favourites tomorrow, given his impressive performance the other day, as well as in the Tour of Turkey. I'm curious to see his price myself. Pity they don't put these markets up at the start of the week.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: May 15, 2014, 06:59:39 PM »

Assume he means Adam Yates to win Stage 6 which has a summit finish. Good tip. Although I imagine he'll be one of the favourites tomorrow, given his impressive performance the other day, as well as in the Tour of Turkey. I'm curious to see his price myself. Pity they don't put these markets up at the start of the week.

Yes, he mentioned the tour of Turkey. He talks a far better game than I ever could. Might do a cheeky and email him tomorrow so I can post some of his reply...

Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1180 on: May 17, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »

Been out of loop for some weeks. But back in time as the Giro should hot up today.

I'm told Wiggins is back in shape of in the States, Froome will be delighted!

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1181 on: May 17, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »

Superb ride by young Arredondo, hope he can hang on for the stage.

Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1182 on: May 17, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »

Incredible finish that.

Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1183 on: May 18, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »

A good stage for outsiders today with a breakaway group having a better chance to succeed than normal.

I gone with Rubiano, Poels & Wellens.

Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1184 on: May 18, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »

A good stage for outsiders today with a breakaway group having a better chance to succeed than normal.

I gone with Rubiano, Poels & Wellens.

& added Bongiorno & Geschke.

Hoping they will be represented in the early break & the GC riders want a quite day.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 ... 139 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: