blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:21:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Racing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 381 382 [383] 384 385 386 387 ... 400 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Racing Thread  (Read 1014861 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5730 on: September 16, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »

Have you seen the replies?  It doesn't really matter if you are 19 or 70, there can't have been many performances like this in one of the biggest group ones whilst I have been around either.  Certainly not on fiirmish ground anyway?

Obvuiously Celtic Swing and Arazi are right up there, but neither of those really trained on, though Celtic Swing scraped home in the French Derby.   

Yes, in some ways Twitter is as bad as Facebook these days, the lad got shredded. Seems a polite & well-mannered lad too. We live in strange times when folks go online on fora & Twitter just to diss others.

We have no idea how good the horse might be, or whether he will train on, but as 2-y-o performances go, that looked something very special. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: September 16, 2019, 11:00:41 AM »

Stunning performance that.

This 'training on' nonsense only comes up occasionally thse days. It used to be the big thing when I was coming through. Poor old High Estate Sad

Read somewhere this morning he could run about 7lb below that performance and still win an average Guineas. Barring injury etc, but let's hope he kicks on again and we get another Frankel. Appleby deserves it.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: September 16, 2019, 05:24:44 PM »

Have you seen the replies?  It doesn't really matter if you are 19 or 70, there can't have been many performances like this in one of the biggest group ones whilst I have been around either.  Certainly not on fiirmish ground anyway?

Obvuiously Celtic Swing and Arazi are right up there, but neither of those really trained on, though Celtic Swing scraped home in the French Derby.   

Yes, in some ways Twitter is as bad as Facebook these days, the lad got shredded. Seems a polite & well-mannered lad too. We live in strange times when folks go online on fora & Twitter just to diss others.

We have no idea how good the horse might be, or whether he will train on, but as 2-y-o performances go, that looked something very special. 

Twitter much worse than Facebook, from what I've seen.

Read a bit of it, and thought he handled the whiners pretty well the couple replies I saw.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: September 17, 2019, 08:57:11 AM »

National Stakes: Pinatubo's win at the Curragh is rated best by a two-year-old since 1994

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/49720786

The only problem now is that the Media, especially on TV, will be giving it all the usual "Horse of the Century" non-stop nonsense until he gets beaten now.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: September 17, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »

National Stakes: Pinatubo's win at the Curragh is rated best by a two-year-old since 1994

The only problem now is that the Media, especially on TV, will be giving it all the usual "Horse of the Century" non-stop nonsense until he gets beaten now.

Surely they should be getting excited if it is the best 2 year old since 1994?  Hoping it is going to be like Frankel and improve at 3, and not like Celtic Swing who seemed to regress a little?

Hey Chompy, what is wrong with "training on", doesn't it just mean the horse improves from 2 to 3 and doesn't regress or stay at the same level?  And in that was nonsense, then what have weight for age scales?  I am genuinely confused as to why you find it nonsense.  Is there some controversy that has been rumbling on inside sporting life towere for the last 20 years?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: September 17, 2019, 12:29:04 PM »

Surely they should be getting excited if it is the best 2 year old since 1994?  Hoping it is going to be like Frankel and improve at 3, and not like Celtic Swing who seemed to regress a little?

Hey Chompy, what is wrong with "training on", doesn't it just mean the horse improves from 2 to 3 and doesn't regress or stay at the same level?  And in that was nonsense, then what have weight for age scales?  I am genuinely confused as to why you find it nonsense.  Is there some controversy that has been rumbling on inside sporting life towere for the last 20 years?

Absolutely, yes, it's the over-hyping every time a good horse emerges that grates so. Soon, if he does not turn out to be the horse of the century, he'll be labelled a failure. ITV are the worst culprits by some distance, with Mr Chamberlain endlessly & breathlessly saying "is history about to be made?" 

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: September 17, 2019, 12:55:08 PM »

Nah, just a personal bugbear Doobs.

All horses improve from two to three. Physically it's impossible they wouldn't as they're still growing, it's just that the backward, late developers improve more than the more precocious juveniles.

The ones that tend to get labelled with not having trained on are those that achieve plenty at two and become hard to place. The likes of sales race winners or those that win a few novices and wind up rated in the mid 90s. Not good enough for Listed company and too high for handicaps.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: September 17, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »

Absolutely, yes, it's the over-hyping every time a good horse emerges that grates so. Soon, if he does not turn out to be the horse of the century, he'll be labelled a failure. ITV are the worst culprits by some distance, with Mr Chamberlain endlessly & breathlessly saying "is history about to be made?" 

The problem is that this is clearly an exceptional performance, and not just a good one, as such it will be hard to overhype it.  They have to sell their product, so given an open goal, they aren't going to say hold on, his 3 year old career might be a bit disappointing.   

I don't know what you want people to say; when Celtic Swing won the French Derby from memory people were pleased enough.  But looking back, you can say that his 3 year old career was all a bit disappointing given his potential.  Same with Arazi.  I don't think anyone really says that their racing careers were a failure.  I don't know how many times I have watched that Arazi race in the Breeders Cup over the years.  Even now, when Chapman goes wild about a performance on ITV you can just set there and smugly go "yeah, but Arazi...".  To be fair, we all like to feel a bit smug sometimes.

Just watched Arazi again.   

Just remembered this horse of the century too.  He was so close to having an excellent 3 year old season, and the 4 year old one promised so much after this:

I can't remember his timeform rating after this, but it was pretty big, and don't envy them rating a horse after a one off early season race on the soft.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: September 17, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »

Nah, just a personal bugbear Doobs.

All horses improve from two to three. Physically it's impossible they wouldn't as they're still growing, it's just that the backward, late developers improve more than the more precocious juveniles.

The ones that tend to get labelled with not having trained on are those that achieve plenty at two and become hard to place. The likes of sales race winners or those that win a few novices and wind up rated in the mid 90s. Not good enough for Listed company and too high for handicaps.

Ah get you, like 3 year old sprinters, guess a lot of three year old sprinters never trained on in the past.

This might become like Keith's momentum.  Every time I hear a commentator mention momentum I can hear Keith tutting in the background.  He is right to tut obv.

action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5739 on: September 18, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »

I like Dubai elegance at 8/1 in the 1.40 yarmouth.
Doncaster win working out really well. Derek shaw only
Taken one down from Leicestershire. Looked unlucky last race
And still has potential off this mark having been rated much
Higher when with bin Suroor. I bet last night 12/1 ew (40p rule 4)
And now 8/1 only 2 places so my bet doesn’t look too clever
But have gone in again win only and saved on the Amy Murphy horse at 13/2
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: September 18, 2019, 12:57:30 PM »

I like Dubai elegance at 8/1 in the 1.40 yarmouth.
Doncaster win working out really well. Derek shaw only
Taken one down from Leicestershire. Looked unlucky last race
And still has potential off this mark having been rated much
Higher when with bin Suroor. I bet last night 12/1 ew (40p rule 4)
And now 8/1 only 2 places so my bet doesn’t look too clever
But have gone in again win only and saved on the Amy Murphy horse at 13/2

Cheers,just had a look....14/1 now. Any reason why its gone out?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: September 18, 2019, 01:16:21 PM »

Now 23 on betty!

Non-tryer?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5742 on: September 18, 2019, 01:33:03 PM »

20/1 on the books 🙄
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: September 20, 2019, 05:03:59 PM »

At Newbury this afternoon, this looked pretty handy too.

https://twitter.com/RacingTV/status/1175071644471255040

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: September 20, 2019, 07:24:25 PM »

Frankel's turning out to be quite the sire.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 381 382 [383] 384 385 386 387 ... 400 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: