blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:43:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live poker
| | |-+  Live Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  Markups
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Markups  (Read 22401 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »

because Keith there is a mugh higher possibility of losing your buyin in the main event than in the 100 runner GUKPT, variance isn't about how much you can win, it's about how likely you are to lose. It's fair to say more often than not your main event result will be -$10,000.

Ofc when you do make the money you'll often make quite a lot of it, which is why it's such a good tournament.

I don't agree there is more chance of losing my buyin.

I would argue a good player is far more likely to cash in the WSOP ME than a GUKPT.

Obviously we lose more when we don't cash - is the part I'm misunderstanding? If we played 6 GUKPTs (or however many it is to equal one WSOP ME entry) we are more likely to get some return than one WSOP ME.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
skolsuper

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »

Variance is the square of standard deviation, the average difference between each result and the mean. In the main event your roi and the buyin are both larger, so if your roi is say 300% when you don't cash the difference between your result and your expectation is $40k. In the gukpt where your roi is more like 30% and the buyin is £1k the difference is £1300. Equally on the upside your results go way further from the mean in the main event,  both in relative and absolute terms.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »

Variance is the square of standard deviation, the average difference between each result and the mean. In the main event your roi and the buyin are both larger, so if your roi is say 300% when you don't cash the difference between your result and your expectation is $40k. In the gukpt where your roi is more like 30% and the buyin is £1k the difference is £1300. Equally on the upside your results go way further from the mean in the main event,  both in relative and absolute terms.

K perfect, even I understand this (apart from the first sentence)

Thanks.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »

I potentially would even be open or that of I want to become a big buyer again as the money I lose from sell at 1.0 is made up by the amount of packages I would buy at spot.

What does flushy think about this as an active 1.3+er?

1.0 for mod people on blonde WOULD be a good thing, tokay, woodsey, titty, myself, honey badger  a whoever likes to punt mainly because of the sweat and community run good.

If there was a general acceptance that everybody sells at 1.0 and most people who sell buy often too then cool Lego.

In my circle of friends we never sell at markup to each other and we never will either. We sell at a similar frequency and we buy at a similar frequency.

Lego.

To be honest, if was buying in someone one who's true value is say 1.3, I would be very uncomfortable buying at 1.0, just because I'm a mod.

I don't really see why it has to change. No one is forced to buy or sell on blonde, or anywhere for that matter.

I've missed a few pages of tis thread, so apologies if this has already been said.

Read through all this thread and this is the post which makes the most sense. Let the market decide - if you don't wanna buy, don't. Surely that should be /thread. No idea why people are screwing over this at all.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »

haha it meant to say mod not most Vinny.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »

haha it meant to say mod not most Vinny.

Most not mod... surely?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2013, 01:37:18 PM »

yeh fml lol.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »

Keith

You keep going on about the ME being uber soft etc etc... yet in your own staking thread you say you only cashed once in 12 attempts ? is that a ratio that indicates its soft.. i dont mean to be rude and i know you are an excellent player so am i missing something ?

I do a fair bit of staking on here myself but to be honest I get a littled miffed when someone with little track record wants to play a 10k event for 1K cost to themself for 40% equity.. to me thats just taking the piss...

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »

I do a fair bit of staking on here myself but to be honest I get a littled miffed when someone with little track record wants to play a 10k event for 1K cost to themself for 40% equity.. to me thats just taking the piss...

As long as stakers pay these kind of mark ups, players will continue to ask for them.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »

As long as stakers pay these kind of mark ups, players will continue to ask for them.

i didnt...........

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
treefella

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »

What pisses me off with all these high markups is the assumption that just because something is super soft we can charge more because were presumed of going to go deep in the event.
Try going deep in the $1 rebuys especially the 7.15pm stars one. Plays about the same as the main event in terms of runners standard. : )

Ok dont buy if you dont like the rate, but pretty much most of what ive seen on the staking boards is just degen gambling at any price/runner.
There has been a few genuinely good investments ,but not many.

However what i would say is that I wouldn't like to see it changed at all. It provides plenty of debate,fun and degen spin ups : ) 
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »

For my 50p's worth, the staking board works imo.

And if it aint broke...
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »

Perhaps counterintuitively, I find some of the staking requests with no mark up more distressing than those with.

Usually, but not always, the marked up ones justify some kind of mark-up. So then we're just discussing the fairness of the amount.

Some of the no mark up threads read like 'I'm going to play poker, I have no track record, I'd like to lose less than I'm planning to buy in for, can you help ?'

I know this is not specially insightful or anything but they do vex me

sola virtus nobilitat
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »

Some of the no mark up threads read like 'I'm going to play poker, I have no track record, I'd like to lose less than I'm planning to buy in for, can you help ?'

Grin
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2013, 03:30:08 PM »

There's a lot of emphasis on value coming from the usual shrewd punters of this world. This seems more relevant over a longterm staking deal compared to a one off punt in a donkathon like the ME. Obv it's still important but the reality is most of us are mug punters. In that Tips for Tikay thread the quest for value has become like science but the fact remains that most people who gambol just like to have a punt. How many bets on the Grand National are shrewd value investments?

This is the captive audience sellers market to and it's a place where you can quickly sell out of horse shit sandwiches and stripper money. There shouldn't be any restrictions on this free market and if somebody comes up with a creative marketing strategy then fair play to them. If you can create a product people want to buy in this world then good luck. The focus on who's worth what is kinda senseless ego talk and it's based solely on ROI when other things can have value too. For eg a seller who goes to vegas for business with the right attitude has more value imo than somebody who includes the caveat 'will cancel stake if I have a rough night'. I think the value of an imaginative op shouldn't be underestimated either.

This constant hunt for value is like how my mum operates around Tesco. I mean she could prob prove to me that the own brand coco pops are better value but meh I still prefer to buy regular coco pops.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: