blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:38:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Live Poker : Decison Time & Time Bank
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Poker : Decison Time & Time Bank  (Read 9975 times)
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 12:14:31 PM »

Horrible idea for all the reasons said before me.

Punish the perpetrators not the masses.

Ah! The element of surprise
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »

Tom Dwan will never play at DTD if this is implemented.

On the plus side it will deter his many imitators but it does seem a little draconian to me. I am a pretty quick decision-maker but once in a while I do go into the tank if I have what I consider to be a particularly knotty problem and I would not enjoy being rushed into a decision on the odd occasion that this arises.

On the other hand, those guys who take ten or fifteen seconds to make a trivial fold each and every time that it is their turn to act really annoy me and push me to the limit of my patience.

Perhaps there could be a system where persistant offenders are "put on the clock" as in professional golf tournaments and those timing measures are only put into place then. That would prevent the innocent being punished along with the guilty.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »

Maybe the sensible thing is to try it out with some comps, and have them advertised as 'shot-clock' comps.  Still lots of things to be considered (as mentioned above) as to how it will be implemented and the mechanics of how the timing will be done.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »

I don't think there's a massive problem to be honest. I think some people take a bit too much time, but it's pretty rare that I'm irritated by people taking too much time.

So unless there's a perfect solution (which I don't think this is for the many reasons pointed out above) I'd just leave things as they are.

Nirvana's analogy of punishing the whole class because one kid made a fart noise is spot on!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
treefella

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »

Dreadful idea. Will change the whole dynamic of live poker. Why would you want to discourage newcomers and put then under unnecessary pressure to make a decision.

Give them all the time they want i say !
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »

Yeh I think the worst aspect is the pressure it'll put on beginners/recreational players. They'll hate it I think.

So for every reg you make happy that gets annoyed about people tanking (but will still play regardless), there'll be multiple recs and newcomers that are put off and go to play elsewhere imo.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »

I really hate the idea.

Live poker is relaxed, fun, social event. The table banter, a social elements slow the game down this is just part of live poker but it's also what makes it fun. Yes some people deliberately take longer than is required and it's annoying but there aren't that many who do it and more often than not someone calls them out for it and they get better.

If people NEED to take 1 minute over a decision, then I have no problem, if they NEED to take 3 minutes, I have no problem - If theu need 15seconds but take 1minute every time it's annoying but I think this timebank rule will just alienate inexperienced players.

Tom Dwan will never play at DTD if this is implemented.

He doesn't play fast, but he certainly doesn't play slowly Durrrr - that season of high stakes poker he was seen constantly in the tank, but he was in every hand, relative to how many hand he plays I think he wasn't even the slowest on that table.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »

Just to play devil's advocate, do we actually know there aren't lots of recs who are put off playing because of the speed (or lack of it) of the play?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »

Just to play devil's advocate, do we actually know there aren't lots of recs who are put off playing because of the speed (or lack of it) of the play?

I have probably been a dozen times in the last twelve months for comps £50-£330. I know I wouldn't enjoy playing under a clock (even though it will infrequently be an issue for me) so I wouldn't expect I'd make the trip from Brum as often.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »

I have probably been a dozen times in the last twelve months for comps £50-£330. I know I wouldn't enjoy playing under a clock (even though it will infrequently be an issue for me) so I wouldn't expect I'd make the trip from Brum as often.

That not what he's asking.

He's asking do we know that there's not loads of players playing online BECAUSE of all the unnecessary tanking involved in live poker.

Maybe all these would come out the woodwork if this were to be introduced.

I don't think so Boshi.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »

That not what he's asking.

He's asking do we know that there's not loads of players playing online BECAUSE of all the unnecessary tanking involved in live poker.

Maybe all these would come out the woodwork if this were to be introduced.

I don't think so Boshi.

Oh, I see. Apologies.

Cheerfully withdrawn.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »

I somewhat like the principle I guess, at least for basic decisions, although it doesn't seem very rec friendly as people have mentioned. I certainly think this initial plan is too harsh on time. You should be allowed longer relative to the size of the pot, the action in front of you and the street you're on or something.

I think when you use your chip you should get as long as you need (within boundaries of reason)

Also agree with this^

what mc said. conceptually interesting, def not with this specific rule set.

edit forgot to say this would also hugely benefit the regs. bring on the 1-5 second shot clocks, super turbo poker!!

would deffo like to play under this structure in live Turbo tournies though Simon. thumbs up
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:32:14 PM by titaniumbean » Logged
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2013, 01:32:48 PM »

I don't like the idea personally, more so at dtd because I never found it too bad there. You should try a PKR sponsored event if you think dtd is slow. They are painful, even pre flop when decisions are relatively easier.

The problem is not enough players are willing to call the clock on piss takers. If one player is constantly taking forever then call the clock on em. If different players on the table call the clock on the same player they soon get the message. And it can tilt em too as an added bonus.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 01:42:20 PM »

Yeh I think there is a place for this in specifically advertised turbo tournaments. Perhaps run one a week, a £100 turbo with the decision time & time bank, see how it goes?

People taking 2 minutes over decisions in turbo's is really tilting!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
ElRazorX

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »

Hi
I don't come on here a lot but I play at DTD regularly and it's the best poker venue in the country and I'm very glad it's so close to me.

I have to say this is a terrible idea though! There's a number of reasons, firstly a lot of newer players will be discouraged by this pressure and they will not want to play. Some players always like to think things through which is fine, it's live poker!!! 15 seconds will just never be enough time... I mean you're going to take some of the fun out of live poker here, the social aspect, the speech play, there's no time for any of that in 15 seconds... Some live players play for this part of the game.

I agree that there are some players that wind me up by taking an age to call, but don't punish the masses please... Some folk with headphones on and 'deep' thinkers... Very annoying but just have a yellow/red card penalty system or something, if the dealers have the power to call a hand dead after a few seconds then they can decide when someone is persistently taking too long!

That's my say Smiley

Rich
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: