blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:17:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Live Poker : Decison Time & Time Bank
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Poker : Decison Time & Time Bank  (Read 9962 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »

Hi
I don't come on here a lot but I play at DTD regularly and it's the best poker venue in the country and I'm very glad it's so close to me.

I have to say this is a terrible idea though! There's a number of reasons, firstly a lot of newer players will be discouraged by this pressure and they will not want to play. Some players always like to think things through which is fine, it's live poker!!! 15 seconds will just never be enough time... I mean you're going to take some of the fun out of live poker here, the social aspect, the speech play, there's no time for any of that in 15 seconds... Some live players play for this part of the game.

I agree that there are some players that wind me up by taking an age to call, but don't punish the masses please... Some folk with headphones on and 'deep' thinkers... Very annoying but just have a yellow/red card penalty system or something, if the dealers have the power to call a hand dead after a few seconds then they can decide when someone is persistently taking too long!

That's my say Smiley

Rich

Btw, 15 seconds is only for 15 minute clock tournaments. Most tournaments are 30min, 40min, so will be 30 seconds, 40 second time banks.

Agree with you though, just pointing out that people seem to think that it's 15 seconds for all tournaments.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »

It's a matter of education because in reality every player is on the clock. If you are a profitable/good player the more hands you get in per hr the more benefit. Many players dwell to look cool or copy what they see on the telly without much rhyme or reason to it. When I first started and was dealing the self deal comps I used to say "let's go, you're burning money wasting time" and it did speed up the action. Think dealers could have a positive influence on the flow of the game if they were more pro-active. Dealer should be able to warn and call clock if they think it's in the best interests of managing their particular game.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
SubZERO

FINISH HIM!!!!! Babality

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »

Not a fan of this, most of the reasons have been covered already in the thread. I play the majority of my volume online, so even though I'm used to making decisions quickly there are more variables to consider in live poker.

If it has to be implemented then as suggested, do special shot clock events as a test. Also, start with a higher shot clock and adjust it downwards as necessary. Starting too low without testing it could be a real mess. 15 seconds is waaaaay too short

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:04:20 PM by SubZERO » Logged
craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »

It's a matter of education because in reality every player is on the clock. If you are a profitable/good player the more hands you get in per hr the more benefit. Many players dwell to look cool or copy what they see on the telly without much rhyme or reason to it. When I first started and was dealing the self deal comps I used to say "let's go, you're burning money wasting time" and it did speed up the action. Think dealers could have a positive influence on the flow of the game if they were more pro-active. Dealer should be able to warn and call clock if they think it's in the best interests of managing their particular game.

Harvey, a walk in a dtd a while ago was the best for game flow. Always let the player know it was their action and it certainly avoids your liz lieu moments where the player is unaware the action is on them. 'Oh sorry I didn't realise it was on me', after a number of minutes of nothing, yawn, well get your head out your iPad, phone, paper, copy of tendler's mental approach of poker or Herbies abc of tournament poker.

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
wazz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2013, 02:33:30 PM »

Also not a fan of blanket applying this to all your tournaments - the current system may not be perfect but it's the best there is.

I think you may have some success advertising some tournaments as 'time-bank' tournaments, or something like that.
smokynuts

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »

Horrible idea for all the reasons said before me.

Punish the perpetrators not the masses.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »

Why do players get a minute to make a decision when the clock is called?

They've already had a lengthy period of thought before the clock was called and then possibly another minute waiting for the TD why do they still need another 60 seconds?

Not a fan of the idea originally proposed here

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »

Maybe that's the solution, having the dealers call the clock a lot more frequently and after less time.  Suppose the dealer could have a large digital stopclock on the table and do the 'clock' themselves so no need to call the floor over each time, or is this a bad idea?

As an aside, maybe giving people 5 seconds to reveal their cards at showdown might be a good idea. If they don't reveal both cards in the 5 seconds, they forfeit the hand Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
NEWY

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »

Player A raises then player B behind tanks for 2 mins before 3 betting ... rest of the table all pass but not before thinking a short while. Eventually back to player A who only now decides to start thinking and thinking ... and thinking .... then passes. Y dont they do their thinking whilst the players in front of them are doing their thinking? Perhaps just ban all player A's or bring back stoning, should speed up the game considerably.
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »

I really don't like this idea! (On every tourney)

However I would like the idea of one a week tourney super turbo ....... 5seconds to act !

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
Killer River

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »

Another great idea from dtd, this will improve the game for sure imo 

but the fact you chose "disney songs on youtube" over HEM and then lost 12 bis when you know you should lose 4 maximum just shows a massive sign of disrespect
Fshhhee

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »

I don't like the idea. If certain players are taking too long you can always call the clock.
Bradbeat
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »

What a terrible proposal. None of these times are sufficient particularly in deep stack tournaments and having to make a big decision and replay the action over multiple streets.  One of the best things about live poker is the luxury it affords thinking players. If players continue to take too much time, the the clock can be called, so if its not broke stop trying to fix it, or we might as well stay at home and play online. I expect this will alienate older players who don't think as quickly as younger ones.
DTD-ACES

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2013, 05:35:29 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. Let me make one point clear, this is not a DTD idea, I am collecting opinion as a direct result of DTD players suggesting it to me, not just the odd player, time and time again I have been asked by players at DTD to implement some sort of ruling on what time a player should have to make a decision, players can also feel uncomfortable calling the clock on a fellow player. At the bottom of my original post I did say that nothing was cast in stone. Good to hear a cross section of opinions, thanks Aces

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:39:22 PM by DTD-ACES » Logged

worldbeater
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »

My view is that there is no need to speed up 95% of players.

It is not the 95% of players that take a minute once an hour that are a problem. It is the other 5% that take take 30 seconds every hand. Generally this is because they are so engrossed in their iPad, mobile phone or whats coming out of their headphones that they don't even look at their cards until it is their turn. Even then they often have to be nudged.

I don't see that punishing the 95% is particularly fair or even useful. Why should the guys who take less than five seconds every hand be given less time for the one hand per hour when they need a minute. At 25 hands per hour (estimate), the guy who takes 30 seconds every hand uses 12 & a half minutes while the guy that uses only two minutes per hour is denied one minute when he really needs it.

If there was a fairer way where each player had an individual clock with a total allotted time for the whole tournament, or per day, or per session or per level as in chess then fair enough but I think this would be difficult to administer.

I like the fact that DTD are looking at ways to improve the game but feel this is very much a case of throwing out the baby with the bath water.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: