blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Pocket Queens:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pocket Queens:  (Read 113934 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2015, 11:49:06 PM »

When I was young I got stuck in a strange town with no money.

I went to the cashpoint to withdraw a tenner and the machine withheld my card.

No money and no way to get money to get home.

Someone told me to go to the police station and for something called a "permit to travel" which could be used to pay for a train or bus ticket or if past the time of the last bus/train given to taxi driver to get you home.

I have no idea if these still exist, anyone know?

My local station still has a machine that dispenses permits to travel AFAIK.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2015, 01:53:28 AM »

I don't know you other than through this blog and Tikay's comments but I suspect you already know that kindness can be it's own reward.

Karma,shmarma.

Just spread the kindness. Next time you see someone who needs a little help, help them.

Pay it Forward as it were.

Couldn't agree more.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »

Permits to travel.

Every day is a learning day.

The reason why I love interacting is to find little nuggets like this!
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2015, 11:53:49 PM »

“Choose your friends wisely - they will make or break you” J. Willard Marriott

It’s been a sad week for your Belle. Nearly five years ago, this little bundle of trouble crashed into my life during an awesome summer in Romania. We bonded over a shared love of sleeping on town squares, big tunes and tequila. The foundations were laid during that trip and despite having to split our time between London and Manchester, a strong friendship formed. He moved back to London this week, where he is to join one of the “Magic Circle” firms (an informal term for what are generally considered the five leading law firms in the UK) as an associate in their corporate finance team. I shall miss him terribly.

Click to see full-size image.

I first met the friend in question in the summer of 2010, during a placement with Habitat for Humanity.  We had secured training contracts with the same law firm and, along with the other 38 members of the “Class of 2010”, were flown out to Cluj, Romania as part of our induction with the firm; you know, the one where you have to bond as a team.

Habitat for Humanity, for those of you unfamiliar with them, are a global charity who create affordable housing for families in desperate need. As is the case with most charitable organisations, there are several ways you can get involved. The most common corporate involvement is for teams to fly out to a specified country and spend a week on a building site. Yes, we built a house. On a building site. With donated tools. And no formal training. And 40 degree blistering July heat. Was awesome.

I learnt how to plaster.

And build roofs.

And our handiwork proved okay in the end. We didn’t finish the build, but another team was scheduled to take over from us the following week and would get the house ready for the new family to move it (tssk, glory hunters).

It wasn’t all work work work though. As you can imagine, dumping 40 law school graduates in the middle of a cosmopolitan European city, where a litre of beer costs 60p and a shot of tequila 10p is just asking for mayhem.

Mind you, it wasn’t all drinking either. Cluj is a beautiful city full of culture. We even managed to schedule a trip into a salt mine; apparently wonderful for your health, which is a good thing given the liver damage sustained on this particular trip.

It truly was a great start to my career as a lawyer and the friends I formed over the two years of my training contract will stay with me for a long time. As I bade a teary farewell to my London-bound buddy, I reflected on the people who come and go in our lives. The ones who make you laugh, who pick you off the floor when you are down and who shout your success from the rooftops. Make time for those people. Life is better shared.

Until next time.

B
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2015, 12:27:49 PM »

<3  this diary.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2015, 10:34:20 PM »

Always a pleasure to read this diary.
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: May 03, 2015, 12:50:05 PM »

^^ Thank you both. You really are too kind ^^
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »

Mrs Pocket Queen & her husband, Adam, will be on the Sky Poker TV Show tonight, on Sky Sports 4 between 10pm & Midnight.

Anna Fowler is the Presenter.

Messages can be tweeted to @skypoker hashtag something. Might be #skypokertv

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:36:39 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
engy

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2015, 11:20:10 PM »

Just read through this diary while chilling on hols, brilliant read Mrs b
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »

Congratulations on your challenge success last night Brommers

Though finishing a spot in the table below Burnley probably wasn't the tribute you quite had in mind?.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 27, 2015, 09:44:29 PM »

To be fair, I finished exactly where I expected to.

I so suck at cash!
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2015, 12:58:22 PM »

Date Night
noun
“A pre-arranged occasion on which an established couple, especially one with children, go for a night out together"

The inhabitants of Pocket Queens HQ do not have children, but we do have two small, ginger, furry dependents who produce poop and sick, keep us up at night and demand love and affection. We also have full time jobs. And a time-consuming poker habit.

As a result, the concept of a date night is one that is known and well practiced. Regular readers of this thread will recall our mini bucket lists; our attempts to try and fill our lives with adventure. Date Night is a good opportunity to do fun things that we would not normally have done before. There is nothing wrong with dinner and drinks of course, it’s just that The Boy and I aren’t really a dinner and drinks kind of couple.

The latest "Date Night” adventure saw us attempt an Escape Room.

For those of you unfamiliar with this concept, a Escape Room is a physical adventure gaming concept that has been prominent in Europe for a few years now, but has recently seen an explosion of popularity in the UK. It channels Krypton Factor and Crystal Maze chic; players are locked in room and have to solve a series of puzzles and clues in order to escape the room within a prescribed time limit.

The Boy works from his firm’s Manchester office now and again and, as my office is based there, it was a good opportunity to meet after hours and do something fun. Manchester has two companies who run Escape Rooms, both with five different themed rooms. It’s not particularly expensive to do (around £20 each), nor is it particularly time consuming. The Boy and I chose to take on a Mummy’s Tomb themed room. We arrived at the location, were given the rules and a H & S briefing (naturally), then we were led down a long dark tunnel to our chosen room.

The company who ran this room did so very well. The venue was built into an old, disused railway tunnel and was very ‘atmospheric’. The atmosphere is eery and whilst you are fully aware you are not in any immediate danger, it does give you the shivers (but to be fair, I am a a bit of wimp). We were led into a room and the door locked behind us. On the wall was a large digital clock with a 60 minute countdown. Eek.

At that moment, we were transported to deepest darkest Egypt and were locked in a pyramid. The set design was superb and no expense was spared on props and decoration. I won’t talk through the challenge, as I don’t want to spoil the surprise for others wanting to try this. But the concept is familiar throughout all of these rooms.

There are several items around the room that are locked with padlocks. You find the first clue, solve it and get the code for one of these padlocks (usually a number, letter or direction combination). Then you find another clue. Etc etc. You work as a team. You try and get out. There may be secret rooms and passages. All kinds of awesome.

It was a really fun date night to have. The Boy and I are naturally very competitive but also work like a machine when we need to be team. He only got cross with me once to be fair (“Natalie, will you shut up, I am trying to concentrate, I’ve got this"). We were also about 3 minutes off getting out - we solved the final clue, but had got the padlock the wrong way round (face palm) so timed out our last 6 minutes.

We will not be defeated though; here’s to the next one!

Until next time.

B
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2015, 01:11:22 PM »

who was your favourite "The Crystal Maze" Presenter?

the escape rooms remind me of that programme....

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2015, 01:36:43 PM »

The original, and one and only, Richard O'Brien for me. He epitomises everything about that show.
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: June 06, 2015, 11:27:27 AM »

“I turned down a scholarship to Yale. The problem with college is that there’s a tendency to mistake preparation for productivity. You can prepare all you want, but if you never roll the dice you’ll never be successful” Shia LaBeouf

Shia LaBeouf is not immediately known as one of the great philosophers of our time. Nor even that inspirational an individual. Young, hot, Hollywood actor? Sure. Saviour of Earth from the wrath of the Decepticons and BFF of the Autobots? Absolutely.  But the go-to-guy for advice on the theory of life, the Universe and Everything? Probably not.

Still, the above comment struck a cord with me, especially at this time of year when Pocket Queens HQ and the rest of the poker community turns their attention to Vegas and preparations for what will surely be ‘their’ World Series. Does everything in life require risk in order to achieve reward? Maybe. There has certainly been two occasions over the last week where your Belle needed to take a deep breath, roll that dice and see what happened.

Pokers

The first of these involved our beloved game. The Boy and I have always played our poker “next door” and were lucky enough back in October to be invited onto channel 861 for one of the live shows. We mustn’t have done that bad a job, as the call came though asking us to go on for a second time. This time on its new home of Sky Sports 4. Gulp.

The format of the show has changed since it’s relocation and this time features the “100 challenge”. Two players, £100, 100 minutes and the brief to make as much profit as possible on a 25-50p cash table. Exciting. Except I don’t play cash. I am incompetent at cash. I was going to be terrible. Oh God, should I turn down the offer??

Absolutely not. Sure, I sucked (might even be bottom of the leaderboard), but I decided to go for it and just play hands without fear of busting right away. It’s incredibly daunting (particularly in the current climate for extreme online trolling) to be vulnerable and allow your play to be analysed on live tv (good or bad), but what do you achieve if you don’t? I could have folded every hand and left with a small profit, but the producers would not have had a show and I probably wouldn’t have earned that much respect.

What I did realise, is that I am not afraid to play my own game and am no longer intimidated at any poker table or environment. That’s got to be a good thing.

Tomboy Problems

One thing that you certainly should never take a chance on is your health and over the Easter weekend I had a wakeup call; I needed to address my very unhealthy lifestyle. One thing I don’t do enough of is exercise. Which is odd as I was very very active when I was a teenager. One of the challenges you face when you are inherently lazy is finding something to do which you enjoy.

I used to dance. Classical dancing that is; ballet, tap, jazz. And I loved it. Ballet has always been my favourite, but I was not blessed with grace and elegance. And I am a tomboy. So how on earth do I get back into this? I am lucky enough to work in a major city where most things are accessible. The Northern Ballet Company runs adult ballet classes every night of the week, so I signed up.

Taking on my first session after a long gap was terrifying. I turned up alone and was faced with about 70 other girls who were a) decked head-to-toe in regulation ballet gear and b) stretching like pros! I nearly turned round and walked out. But it is not in my nature to allow fear to consume me so I sucked it up and did the one hour session. And loved it. Even if the tomboy in me was screaming four-letter expletives!

All in all, it’s been a good week and Pocket Queens HQ is now packing up and relocating to Sin City, where your next few posts will come live from.

It’s World Series time baby!!!!!

B
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: