blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:12:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Wild Rollercoaster - Just A Kid With A Lifelong Dream
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wild Rollercoaster - Just A Kid With A Lifelong Dream  (Read 99399 times)
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2014, 02:15:09 AM »

Haha, wrote that before the hairy one made a sensible post.

what picken or rexas??! Cheesy

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Ice Shade
The Forming Pride Of Nottingham

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2014, 02:16:11 AM »

I don't understand why people put such emphasis on one comp. I mean I completely understand if your playing for fun and want to play in your local when a big series comes to town, or if you want to punt the Main/EPT etc but if your hoping to turn this into a proper career then bankroll management is of the utmost importance. Investing heavily both emotionally and financially is rarely the way to succeed in poker and making sure you put yourself in the best situation to play the best poker you can is the key. The sats at DTD are unbelievable value and should not be ignored at any cost. They give away absolute heaps in equity and there isn't really an excuse not to play them. Honestly transitioning to a full time poker player is next to impossible soley playing live comps. The bankroll required and variance involved means that expenses eat into a lot of profits even for £440 comps, never mind anything smaller. Obviously you have a good shot of making something happen with DTD being down the road and make sure you use that to help you on your way. Live comps simply don't have a very good hourly for the most part, but as long as they are beatable (not having prohibitively high rake or a terrible structure) then you need to be playing. You need to think long term, and putting the £440 into an online bankroll on one or several sites would make much more sense then one gargantuan punt at a tournament that really isn't any more special than a random deepstack. The best way for you to transition to higher stakes would be to continue grinding the comps you do now, keep working hard off the table and take selective shots in sats to help you play bigger events. How much studying do you do? In November 2012 I started playing O8 comps and since then I've probably done 1-2000 equities in different situations. I can all but guarantee that I ran the most hands through propokertools last year for o8. I also played many "bowl" comps, with small prizepools. I worked hard to make sure I had the tools I needed and the experience to adjust well in taking down bigger comps. Just get rid of bowl out of your vocabulary apart from when describing a stack that is a pittance and you'll be much better off. Ridiculously tilting phrase.

With regards to your preparation, it is all very personal. I know I tend to do better coming into comps more relaxed, when I build tournaments up in my head I tend to do much worse.   I also know I tend to struggle in the first few hours after waking up, so making sure I'm up and active instead of rofling out of bed is key.

Cliffs: Stop dreaming, start grinding.

Fair and very sensible, i think personally i keep overhyping the media coverage and potential exposure that big events bring...with regards to the studying i put probably 2 hours a day in, which i personally don't feel is enough and is something im trying to address...as for the waking up thing totally agree, i plan at least four hours ahead of a tournament as a rule and one of my "rituals" is to walk from home to dusk...it's 2.5 miles and always clears my head before a comp. I've turned down every lift and bus bar two in the four years ive gone.

Winning Isnt Everything...Wanting To Is...
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2014, 02:19:05 AM »

Haha, wrote that before the hairy one made a sensible post.

what picken or rexas??! Cheesy

Smiley

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2014, 02:20:04 AM »

Ok, some honesty.

I think I've seen you at dtd twice. And each time, I've thought, what a knob.

I've read this diary a few times over, and I'd like to apologise. I may have got you wrong Smiley

Been really interesting so far, and the way you answered all the questions has been good. Only my opinion of course.

Really interested to know more about your family, if you want to discuss them, that is. No prob if you don't, or can't.

Anyway, looking forward to reading more. Really enjoying it, and will say hello next time our paths cross.

Ps. Do you like nandos?

Pps. Fuck the careful ones, take a shot son. You never know what could happen Smiley

Haha, this blog was built with an insight into the person i really am. No need to appologise lord knows you are not the first to get that impression and will never be the last. My personality takes warming to Smiley

I pride myself on being articulate in the way i speak, sure when im being relaxed in person it may come across differently but when replying to people in this setting or in more in depth conversations then i always make sure to be as proper as i can.

More than happy to discuss my family, me, heck anything people can come up with, it's an open forum and with regards to the past 99% of my life is open to those who ask...there's next to nothing i cant/wont speak about unless sworn to secrecy really.

Yeah would be good to put a face to a name next time Smiley

ps. Yes, not massively so but i will never be the person to say no to one Smiley
pps. Hahaha, im still undecided Cheesy

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2014, 02:22:37 AM »

I don't understand why people put such emphasis on one comp. I mean I completely understand if your playing for fun and want to play in your local when a big series comes to town, or if you want to punt the Main/EPT etc but if your hoping to turn this into a proper career then bankroll management is of the utmost importance. Investing heavily both emotionally and financially is rarely the way to succeed in poker and making sure you put yourself in the best situation to play the best poker you can is the key. The sats at DTD are unbelievable value and should not be ignored at any cost. They give away absolute heaps in equity and there isn't really an excuse not to play them. Honestly transitioning to a full time poker player is next to impossible soley playing live comps. The bankroll required and variance involved means that expenses eat into a lot of profits even for £440 comps, never mind anything smaller. Obviously you have a good shot of making something happen with DTD being down the road and make sure you use that to help you on your way. Live comps simply don't have a very good hourly for the most part, but as long as they are beatable (not having prohibitively high rake or a terrible structure) then you need to be playing. You need to think long term, and putting the £440 into an online bankroll on one or several sites would make much more sense then one gargantuan punt at a tournament that really isn't any more special than a random deepstack. The best way for you to transition to higher stakes would be to continue grinding the comps you do now, keep working hard off the table and take selective shots in sats to help you play bigger events. How much studying do you do? In November 2012 I started playing O8 comps and since then I've probably done 1-2000 equities in different situations. I can all but guarantee that I ran the most hands through propokertools last year for o8. I also played many "bowl" comps, with small prizepools. I worked hard to make sure I had the tools I needed and the experience to adjust well in taking down bigger comps. Just get rid of bowl out of your vocabulary apart from when describing a stack that is a pittance and you'll be much better off. Ridiculously tilting phrase.

With regards to your preparation, it is all very personal. I know I tend to do better coming into comps more relaxed, when I build tournaments up in my head I tend to do much worse.   I also know I tend to struggle in the first few hours after waking up, so making sure I'm up and active instead of rofling out of bed is key.

Cliffs: Stop dreaming, start grinding.

Fair and very sensible, i think personally i keep overhyping the media coverage and potential exposure that big events bring...with regards to the studying i put probably 2 hours a day in, which i personally don't feel is enough and is something im trying to address...as for the waking up thing totally agree, i plan at least four hours ahead of a tournament as a rule and one of my "rituals" is to walk from home to dusk...it's 2.5 miles and always clears my head before a comp. I've turned down every lift and bus bar two in the four years ive gone.

Bear in mind a white 20 something tourament player that shipped one event has almost no chance of getting a sponsorship deal. I mean look at Alex, Deadman or Rastafish. These guys have gotten a ton of exposure and no deals are coming their way (afaik).

What do you do when you study for the 2 hours? That sounds like a lot but maybe it isn't if your just watching videos or listening to podcasts.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2014, 02:23:57 AM »

Incredible to think the players that have got sponsorship, when you think of the ones that haven't.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2014, 02:27:46 AM »

Bear in mind a white 20 something tourament player that shipped one event has almost no chance of getting a sponsorship deal. I mean look at Alex, Deadman or Rastafish. These guys have gotten a ton of exposure and no deals are coming their way (afaik).

What do you do when you study for the 2 hours? That sounds like a lot but maybe it isn't if your just watching videos or listening to podcasts.

Nah totally understand that, I make no bones about the fact they'd deserve it more than me. However, and this may be cause for being flamed but personal opinion here...One thing that sites/companies look for is someone who is engaging, media friendly and someone who can warm to the cameras...now im not saying the aforementioned names do not have those qualities, some of them do in abundance...but there is a big difference between being sponsorship materials, and TRYING to be sponsorship material.

My argument would be that in poker as with anything else. You've got to be a lot better to be gifted professional contracts, but if you jump up and down trying to get noticed, sure you polarize people, but you become more noticeable, and it only takes one to have that punt.

Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2014, 02:29:20 AM »

Hold on, i'll clarify my stance, that last post wasn't brilliant at it.

Putting yourself out there gives you a better chance at anything than those who purely let results speak for themselves.

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2014, 04:10:30 AM »

I think I've tried 6 times to write a post because like Celtic I like the way you come across but each time I sounded too harsh. I'm writing this but likely ill delete it and start the next one with I've tried 7 times..

I think you're being very very very naive with the whole poker thing. There just simply isn't people playing 25 pound tournaments and breaking through to the big scene and the big titles. Yu have to work hard which I'm sure you do but you have to put the hours in, you're playing literally no hands/hour and your row and hurly is going to be so so so so so low that you will never be able to step up.

Everybody who has told you not to play GPS is wrong. The only chance you have of actually getting a bankroll together is by just taking ridiculous shots,and getting lucky followed by losing 5k+ and realizing you're not good t poker. That sounds so harsh and I'm sorry but I mean it in a nice way.

Playing live tournament is not a sustainable way if making a living. Playing live tournaments and having a minimal % of yourself even more so gives you less chance.

I know it's the boring answer and I know you've said you don't enjoy it but you simply need to grind online and put hours in, it's really hard to analyze things after a tournament with live poker but with online you can simply go through the whole hh and I'm sure if I looked through one tomorrow I'd find 5 things that I did wrong.

It seems you're in a situation where people like you and would be happy to stake you so I'm sure they would move this online and you will likely be a winner at small stakes tournaments.

Just think of the people around you..

Alex g - manly live guy, didn't like nline. Eventually grinds a a bit online
Rexas - live guy who is now transitioning more into online
Adam picken - Adam was a live cash grinder and began playing small stakes MTTs grinding and working v v v hard and is now playing upto high stakes MTTs

I can really name almost everybody who is a successful live has had to transition to online.

I really think you should stop wasting your time and money with what looks like a pipe dream here. Sure have the Dtd deepstack or an incredible 100, enjoy it, get prepared however you want, massages with happy ending, yoga wte floats your boat. Enjoy them but don't gret them as your ticket to make money, use them as a high risk yet high reward investment opportunity that you give yourself for,working so hard for online all week.

This is resuls from a 26+6!! Yes over 20% rake!

153 runners

Place   Player Name   Prize
1   Nigel Hardy   £1,062.08
2   Amjad Mohammed   £613.73
3   Adrian Burns   £367.50
4   Nathan Weldon   £257.25
5   Ashley Bracey   £202.13
6   Habib Chatoo   £165.38
7   Andrew Sledmore   £147.00
8   Wasil Dhingra   £117.60
9   Charles Grant   £99.22
10   Kyle Madden   £77.18
11   Paul Burrell   £73.50

Them your most recent cash

Entries
Total Prize Pool
£ 2,700
Total Prize Pool (USD)
$ 4,145

Joe Smith

Matt Barnes

Kevan Stanley
1st
       Joe Smith     £802     $1,231
2nd
       Matt Barnes     £475     $729
3rd
       Kevan Stanley     £311     $477
4th
       Pravin Tailor     £232     $356
5th
       Steven Champion     £176     $269
6th
       William Swinscoe     £146     $224
7th
       Amjad Mohammed     £119     $182
8th
       Peter Meredith     £95     $145
9th
       Paul Bradley     £73     $112
10th
       Brett Pinder     £57     $87
11th
       Peter Thorpe     £54     $83
12th
       Joshua Richards     £54     $83
13th
       Eleanor Hodgkin     £54     $83
14th
       Simon Hyde     £54     $83

So lets say here your roi with small field size and high rake is 30% let's make it 50%.

So every time you play this tournament you make 13£

You then keep 50%? So that means you make 6£/tournament so say average time spent 3 hours is 2£ per hour. Even if you had 100% of your self that would be 4£. Edit just retread thread and you usually keep between 10-25%?

I really would never post to a recreational guy who wants to just have fun and enjoy poker but you have your goals as winning triple crowns,0 and huge major titles but its going to be literally impossible to do it this way unless you literally decide to keep all of your action in a tour event and end up blinking.

Your goal for the year is to make 20,000 pounds but I don't see you writing your goals smart such as I'm going to make 20,000 pounds by doing xyz with this roi and this amount of volume.

Lets say you play 150 live tournaments this yer. A lot!
Lets say the avg bi in 75 pounds (maybe too high)
And lets say your roi is 20% (you don't sell at markup and 75 pounds indicates some big guy in events where you may not be plus ev so 20% sounds fair)

That's 15 pounds profit per tournament and you are playing 150 tournaments so that is 2250 profit for the year. Now you keep 25% of the winnings, lets even say 50% that's 1200 profit. And next week you're planning on playing a 440..

Now lets say you play 300 tournaments (6 a week!)
Average buy in 100 (seems impossible)
And your roi is 25% (gave you higher even though the buy ins increased and thus should be better players, but maybe bigger ppools)

So for every tournament you make 25 pounds profit
You're going to play 300 tournaments so that is just shy of £7000 but remember you keep 25% so even giving you 50% of this even though its a high abi and its still 3500

So for you to hit 20,000 pounds profit this year you would need to have the equivalent of 300 tournaments (6 a week including you studying) with an average buy in of 100 (very hard to find this for the quantity) and have an roi of 75% (seems awful high.) and then remember you only keep 25%

I really want you to succeed and you seem to have all the ingredients such as intelligence and desire but these are not SMART goals and I really think you should reconsider. Everybody hates being "that guy" in December where they look back at their goals and realize they were unrealistic. It's not too late.

Btw for transparency lets say you
played 20 games in a Mtt session online
Played 4 sessions a week
Had an abi of 25 by the end of the year
Had an roi of 30%

That would be 2 sessions less than live tournaments a week.
80 games a week
320 a month
3600 a year

Each tournament you play you make 8 dollars
Every night you make 160 dollars
Every week you make 640 dollars
Every month you make 2500ish dollars
At the end of the year you would make 30,000 dollars

20,000.00 GBP   =   33,174.82 USD
British Pound   ↔   US Dollar
1 GBP = 1.65874 USD   1 USD = 0.602867 GBP

At least this way it looks realistic. Again you'd probably keep 25-50% but this way you're investing in 29 tournaments in a night and expecting some form of return and first place in these tournaments can be anything like 5-15k.

Hope I don't look like a twat Sad

Edit- golly another perfect example! Best example maybe.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2014, 08:14:56 AM »

Reaaally agree with Pleno here, mainly because of the way hes wrote it down.

You know as well as anyone Peter that actually playing and putting hours in is the best way to improve your game and better yourself.

Online can be really quite monotonous for the most part and a tough mental challenge, but you know this was never going to be an easy task and would take hour upon hour each week to get to where you want. IMO taking the online route, being dedicated to put in a silly amount of hours shows much more passion (something you definitely aren't lacking) than hoping to find one big win in a single live poker punt.

I might even suggest trying to find a relatively cheap but really good online coach, someone who grinds a lot to try and see how they do the fundamentals perfectly. It might feel like a bit of a punt money wise to splash £100 on 5 hours or whatever, but if the guy has the right references and such I don't see how you could ever regret it. You are a clever guy who can take a lot on board.

So many different routes, all with their merits though. Tough decision for you...

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2014, 08:53:10 AM »

Make a video, put it up here and I, sure lots of people will look and give you advice for free.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »

I had read this last night, but thought that given how much you had put into this it needed some serious attention...I'm honestly at a loss for words on this, largely because of how blunt yet accurate it is. Was deffo a gamble as i can see some other people having took something like this rather negatively. That's not me, and ive read this a good few times just to get a grasp of the numbers. Im going to take each bit seperatley as this might actually clarify everything in one go

There just simply isn't people playing 25 pound tournaments and breaking through to the big scene and the big titles.

Very aware of this, hense the previous discussions about moving away from those comps and moving to the bigger ones, sustainability has always been a factor and im very aware it's just not doable at that level

Everybody who has told you not to play GPS is wrong. The only chance you have of actually getting a bankroll together is by just taking ridiculous shots,and getting lucky followed by losing 5k+ and realizing you're not good t poker. That sounds so harsh and I'm sorry but I mean it in a nice way.

This is the exact logic that i failed to explain properly...disagree with the last bit however as, ironically enough, a win would have seen me shove five figures online for a proper crack at it!

I know it's the boring answer and I know you've said you don't enjoy it but you simply need to grind online and put hours in
Yes i hate this answer, i wont lie had you said this two years ago i'd likely be doing something else...but i love this game too much to back away, and after talking to a bunch of people (and thinking hard last night) it does indeed seem everyone is moving online...if it has to be done then i will do it.

It seems you're in a situation where people like you and would be happy to stake you so I'm sure they would move this online and you will likely be a winner at small stakes tournaments.

We have tried it before, the idea appealed to them alot more. But i want to make very clear right now that nobody will ever be able to make me ditch live for a soley online game...i know longjevity comes from online but everything else comes from live, so it will always be a part even if only a smaller one. your next paragraph agrees with this so at least it can be seen that live is sticking around.

I really would never post to a recreational guy who wants to just have fun and enjoy poker but you have your goals as winning triple crowns,0 and huge major titles but its going to be literally impossible to do it this way unless you literally decide to keep all of your action in a tour event and end up blinking.

The recreational days are over. I want this as a future profession. It's as simple as that. And i hate it but i agree with what youve put...i wont give up these live events as i say, but they wont be what gets us to the top....sigh

Your goal for the year is to make 20,000 pounds but I don't see you writing your goals smart such as I'm going to make 20,000 pounds by doing xyz with this roi and this amount of volume.

This goal is based upon my previous year, and i did have the xyz/roi that you are talking about but never wrote it down, i wanted that post to be concise, but with regards to the figures youve put down are fairly scary...300 tournaments in the year is not what i want...not by a long shot.

----------

For the record you don't look like a twat, i work well from statistics, but i would never be able to work that kind of stuff out, having it in front of me like that helped to no end...and i thank you for it. It does bloody suck given the changes that need to be made, but i think i can hack three/four sessions a week given my current timetable....ugh, i fucking hate this, but i agree with all of it...and im not at the stage to hate it and throw it away...i want this too much.

----------

Reaaally agree with Pleno here, mainly because of the way hes wrote it down.

You know as well as anyone Peter that actually playing and putting hours in is the best way to improve your game and better yourself.

Online can be really quite monotonous for the most part and a tough mental challenge, but you know this was never going to be an easy task and would take hour upon hour each week to get to where you want. IMO taking the online route, being dedicated to put in a silly amount of hours shows much more passion (something you definitely aren't lacking) than hoping to find one big win in a single live poker punt.

I might even suggest trying to find a relatively cheap but really good online coach, someone who grinds a lot to try and see how they do the fundamentals perfectly. It might feel like a bit of a punt money wise to splash £100 on 5 hours or whatever, but if the guy has the right references and such I don't see how you could ever regret it. You are a clever guy who can take a lot on board.

So many different routes, all with their merits though. Tough decision for you...

You and me have spoken at length regarding this, it was you who actually gave me my first syndicate idea...no it's not going to be an easy task but that said when we did the first run through it didn't bother me all that much...i don't think i can pull off only having 30% because the last one barely sold, it took one guy going insane to pull it off...ive got the dedication to play stupid hours but that one big live punt is still on my radar, lord knows it's half of my life goals!

Cheap yet really good coach...those two don't mix, poker players are smart enough to just price high when they know they are good...you say i can take alot on board i just hope it's enough really.

--------------------

Basically the decision ive made is to give online a large portion of my time, basically any event i was going to play that wasnt part of a tour/festival will now have its money syphoned to online...i will still be playing all the big comps i had my heart set on, i won't let those go. But they are bonuses to an online schedule basically

I hate you all, but love you all the same <3

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »

Defs like the idea of recording a small online session, people are here to help (myself included) and I'm sure that's why you have a blog here, for solid advice.

Think the problem is to succeed considerably live, you need to be playing a considerable amount online because of the volume required to iron down variance, and will definitely improve your game (although entirely different to live play, there will be mathematically sound plays you can make live due to realization through a certain amount of volume).

Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »

Defs like the idea of recording a small online session, people are here to help (myself included) and I'm sure that's why you have a blog here, for solid advice.

Think the problem is to succeed considerably live, you need to be playing a considerable amount online because of the volume required to iron down variance, and will definitely improve your game (although entirely different to live play, there will be mathematically sound plays you can make live due to realization through a certain amount of volume).

could get enough money together for a single night, then just record over the top of it...seems fair

CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »

Nah totally understand that, I make no bones about the fact they'd deserve it more than me. However, and this may be cause for being flamed but personal opinion here...One thing that sites/companies look for is someone who is engaging, media friendly and someone who can warm to the cameras...now im not saying the aforementioned names do not have those qualities, some of them do in abundance...but there is a big difference between being sponsorship materials, and TRYING to be sponsorship material.

My argument would be that in poker as with anything else. You've got to be a lot better to be gifted professional contracts, but if you jump up and down trying to get noticed, sure you polarize people, but you become more noticeable, and it only takes one to have that punt.

If anyone getting sponsorship for warm, friendly , good player , loud , good looking , best Chinese player in the world and etc , I deserved the sponsorship ! Lol
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: