blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272603 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Wild Rollercoaster - Just A Kid With A Lifelong Dream
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wild Rollercoaster - Just A Kid With A Lifelong Dream  (Read 99979 times)
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »

I think you are being very 'romantic' about poker.

You do not 'turn heads' by making deep runs in poker comps.  Maybe if you was constantly making the final of 1ks then fair enough. Have seen you mention sponsorship before too; speaking as someone as who has been sponsored before and also works on Sky Poker, the sponsorship deals just aren't out there. No one is scouting out poker rooms or checking hendon mobs for someone who can 'turn their head'.

If you want to end up being backed then those are actually fairly easy to attain but only if you commit to a serious tonne of online grinding, then yes, you may be able to  turn up to a live poker event with some badge on at 50/50 with makeup.

Pleno made an excellent post about why live events at the levels you are playing are just unbeatable.  Re-read it.

If you wanna focus on mainly live then you have to grind cash to make the tournie BIs.  If you wanna move up and play bigger live MTTs then you have to focus on both online and live sats.

Hilarious to call $2 online comps 'crapshoots'.  CBA to run the numbers but pretty certain that the average sub $5 comp online has far, far more play in it than any sub £50 live tournie.

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »

I think you are being very 'romantic' about poker.

You do not 'turn heads' by making deep runs in poker comps.  Maybe if you was constantly making the final of 1ks then fair enough. Have seen you mention sponsorship before too; speaking as someone as who has been sponsored before and also works on Sky Poker, the sponsorship deals just aren't out there. No one is scouting out poker rooms or checking hendon mobs for someone who can 'turn their head'.

If you want to end up being backed then those are actually fairly easy to attain but only if you commit to a serious tonne of online grinding, then yes, you may be able to  turn up to a live poker event with some badge on at 50/50 with makeup.

Pleno made an excellent post about why live events at the levels you are playing are just unbeatable.  Re-read it.

If you wanna focus on mainly live then you have to grind cash to make the tournie BIs.  If you wanna move up and play bigger live MTTs then you have to focus on both online and live sats.

Hilarious to call $2 online comps 'crapshoots'.  CBA to run the numbers but pretty certain that the average sub $5 comp online has far, far more play in it than any sub £50 live tournie.

Top reply, hope this advice isn't shrugged off. Some top posts on this blog ice shade, think I'm getting more out of it than you are!

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2014, 11:41:47 PM »

Also this may come across as spam, but I can kind of understand why sometimes it easy to dismiss the small BI comps on Stars....as they are thousands and thousands of runners, require a bit of run good and a lot of the time a min cash is a really poor return in terms of actual money.

If you want a site that is closest to the 'live' poker experience, with the lower variance of smaller fields then try the site Tikay calls 'next door'.  It's a site thats often mocked by 'pros', however there are plenty of people grinding out solid wins week in week out there and if you are a decent player then I see no reason why you couldn't do the same.  I believe that Rexas plays there too so he should be able to advise you as well.
Ice Shade
The Forming Pride Of Nottingham

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2014, 03:34:57 AM »

I do love the ability of hindsight...When i wrote that...as I write most blogs (That's the point imo) it was one of those "been thinking for a while, suddenly depressed...to the blog!"...As much as it pains me I agree with all of you. There are the odd little bits i would correct/question but they merely serve to wave my dick about, which is not something i want to do as 98% of what's been written I simply have no arguments against and, as much as it may not look it on the surface...I appreciate more than you will ever realise. Rexas has the best one with transferring the "money doesnt matter" mentality...after re-reading what ive typed previously it does look very contradictory (Look? it is...) to say i would play for nothing live but when it "effectively" is nothing online i simply cant be arsed....I know why, it's all about distractions, live i don't have them where as online i all kinds of do...suppose once distractions come into it the money begins to matter (wont try and find an excuse...it simply shouldn't be an excuse, hands up to that one)...Anyone got specific advice on reducing distractions while playing online? If not ruling them out altogether?

I need to sort out the motivation...cause it clearly exists everywhere else, why not here?

Winning Isnt Everything...Wanting To Is...
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2014, 03:41:19 AM »

Plans For January

Seeing as this is the quietest month of the year with regards to everything, I think it best to start slow, trying to push to do things in a month that is typically the worst for backers/friends/family/me sounds a little retarded. Hopefully i'll do this each month and go from there, the plans laid out will get more detailed in the coming months once i have a gauge for how much im actually capable of.

Live Events For 01/14
£440 Genting Poker Series Nottingham - 10/01 (57.65%)
£80 XXL Giant 17/01 (51.50%)
£80 XXL Giant 24/01 (98.43%, 4/255)
£80 XXL Giant 31/01 (6.48%)

Online Events For 01/14
Play 50 Tournaments (1/50)

University 01/14
Finish Leadership & Employability Coursework
Start Forex Trading Dissertation

League Of Legends 01/14
Learn One More ADC And One More Jungle Champion (Learnt Four Total)
50 LP In Bronze 1 (Still Bronze 5)

Other Tasks 01/14
Apply For The University Gym - Find What Level We Are At

First month works well in half the areas....and disastrously in others...Happy im playing live to the level i want to be but the online (as the last two pages go to show) is abysmal...uni is worrying me because its fast looking to be falling apart, not through lack of knowledge but after 18 years ive simply had enough...not to mention other stuff surrounding it. League seems to be on a hiatus as the bronze V scrubs are driving me insane...playing the placement on tilt was always gonna end badly! And the gym thing seems to have fallen...but ive got my dad sorting things on that front so i expect it to be better going forward.

Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2014, 12:16:27 AM »

Decided to do an update seeing as i want to keep this as active as possible. University is slowly but surely falling apart, sometime this week i reckon im going to pull one of the tutors aside because deadlines are creeping and it needs to be sorted. I know it's a commitment issue as ive been in education for 18 years, university for four and america, this degree, the tutors and a few other things are taking their toll on me...at the point where if someone offered me a half decent job id drop in a heartbeat...sad but true. Hence why it needs fixing.

On the poker front ive been playing online a bit, few smallish cashes, nothing of any note to report really. I could put some hands up but unlike the GPS there's none i see as cause for debate, again i might if i re-read them (which ive started to do two days after the tournament so im not "in the moment thinking". Any advice on if i should do it after 1? 3?) Live ive been doing my bollocks in since the final table...not because of events but because of liferoll. Unfortunatley i can't seperate the money because, honestly, i have no ability to stop myself. If i had a £3k bankroll and was struggling to get the train to uni 1. The family would kill me, 2. I'd probably kill me. Just ugh.

I'd love the chance to source buyins longterm, even if i had to start ULTRA LOW...but alas. I'll keep plugging away! Not much gonna stop me!

kano

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2014, 12:30:30 AM »

You can tell from your posts that you have a great passion for the game, but with deadlines approaching etc, the best thing to do would be to take a break from poker.

The game will still be here whenever you come back to it, it isn't going anywhere.

Your university degree is worth so much more than grinding a few tournaments, even if it doesn't feel like it now.

Don't drop the course, you will regret it.

Good Luck!
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2014, 12:38:02 AM »

You can tell from your posts that you have a great passion for the game, but with deadlines approaching etc, the best thing to do would be to take a break from poker.

The game will still be here whenever you come back to it, it isn't going anywhere.

Your university degree is worth so much more than grinding a few tournaments, even if it doesn't feel like it now.

Don't drop the course, you will regret it.

Good Luck!

Nah i'll never drop the degree, as much as i sit here saying it it'd take something rather impressive for me to bother doing that. And when the deadlines come up (and ive spoken to the tutors and put a plan in place for workloads) then naturally everything takes a break. But during my downtime i always have and always want to dedicate myself to this game, you are right, i have a passion. I love it to pieces...I won't deny i don't work as hard as some on here but believe me had i the money/spare time then i'd throw my life behind it. Before uni that's what i did...hense why my best years are behind me :\

I won't drop it. But i don't want to sacrifice anything on the way IF i can help it.

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »

Bonjour

I have a friend who is an avid reader of this thread but would prefer to remain nameless and he and I if you accept would like to put you into the live leg of your choice in this weeks Grand Prix at DTD with 1 bullet and you are playing for 50% of yourself with us getting the other 50% of any cash returned as a one off punt.

If you happen to be in the final 10 therefore binking the £1100 UKPC seat then we will happily take the same % forward of that seat and if you choose to sell any of your 50% then that is down to you.

I am happy for you to accept by quoting this post letting us know and if you then PM me your bank deets I will ship Fri morning at the latest.

Let me know and GL if you accept....

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »

Bonjour

I have a friend who is an avid reader of this thread but would prefer to remain nameless and he and I if you accept would like to put you into the live leg of your choice in this weeks Grand Prix at DTD with 1 bullet and you are playing for 50% of yourself with us getting the other 50% of any cash returned as a one off punt.

If you happen to be in the final 10 therefore binking the £1100 UKPC seat then we will happily take the same % forward of that seat and if you choose to sell any of your 50% then that is down to you.

I am happy for you to accept by quoting this post letting us know and if you then PM me your bank deets I will ship Fri morning at the latest.

Let me know and GL if you accept....

I find it really heart warming people want to offer me the chance and I will gladly accept :-) been looking forward to it for a while so there's a lot of motivation Cheesy

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »

Just been catching up on this diary, I have few observations, but as I am on my phone can't come up with a post that will do it justice.  Enjoyable read so far!
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2014, 12:13:47 AM »

Just been catching up on this diary, I have few observations, but as I am on my phone can't come up with a post that will do it justice.  Enjoyable read so far!

think youd need to be dressed as blackadder whislt writing with quill and parchment to do some of this justice Wink

stirthepot stirthepot
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:19:37 AM by verndog158 » Logged

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Ice Shade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2014, 02:35:31 AM »

Just been catching up on this diary, I have few observations, but as I am on my phone can't come up with a post that will do it justice.  Enjoyable read so far!

think youd need to be dressed as blackadder whislt writing with quill and parchment to do some of this justice Wink

stirthepot stirthepot

Think I have some of that in my wardrobe for the next final table....

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »

Sent £60 via fast payment bud glgl

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 07, 2014, 06:30:25 PM »

How we doing bud?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: