blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:56:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Marks-ups getting out of hand
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marks-ups getting out of hand  (Read 32496 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 06:06:03 PM »

Why do people get so hung up on mark up's being offered?  If i am selling my car 2nd hand on auto trader i will put a price up roughly what i think it is worth plus £500.  If someone comes on and likes the car and offers me the full asking price i would be really annoyed if someone who had no business getting involved in the transaction from either side got involved and told the buyer i was over charging by £500 and potentially stopped the sale.

dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »

No one has called you out on here dreenie?  Or am I missing something?

Sorry should have stated, Patrick did on FB. Just thought I would post here as he was asking how much the mark up was on 30/70 so clearly was thinking of me when he put that.

I cba to comment on that fb anymore it's ridiculous, so thought I would just post here to him.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »

Why do people get so hung up on mark up's being offered?  If i am selling my car 2nd hand on auto trader i will put a price up roughly what i think it is worth plus £500.  If someone comes on and likes the car and offers me the full asking price i would be really annoyed if someone who had no business getting involved in the transaction from either side got involved and told the buyer i was over charging by £500 and potentially stopped the sale.

If you were selling a motor, I'd offer at least a bag under the asking price Wink

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »

I don't think anyone should sell over 30% of themselves at face value, they may as well play a smaller buy in at a higher ROI

I def agree with this although if they choose to it's fine it just doesn't make any sense at all from a financial angle other than just to be seen playing the event (there is nothing wrong with this if that's their reason).   I always find it amazing when people want to sell 50/60/70% of themselves in a high buy in comp at face.  So effectively in a £1k event you are personally playing a £300 event but have to face all the pros you wouldn't have to face in a £300 plus usually have to spend more hours playing the event as it's a deeper structure.

An rare exception could be made for a huge £1k comp like the last one at dtd where there are hundreds of online qual's etc but in general it doesnt make sense to me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:17:05 PM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »

If you were selling a motor, I'd offer at least a bag under the asking price Wink

You and me probably would but not everyone cares about the price they pay for goods and services they purchase.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »

What happens if you sat in?  What happens if there are really only 2 big plo8 comps all year worldwide?  I can see a lot more justification for selling at 1, than just charging mark ups because it is the usual thing. 

I was seriously thinking of playing the $2k plo8, but am not really rolled for it.  Next step down is 200. It would be a bit silly to charge 1.1/1.15 when 2k is very much above my average buy in.   Having said that at least I am familiar with the game, which I am not convinced everyone who charges a mark up for omaha is.  Similar to Tikay, he has played a lot of hands but isn't entirely happy with the 3k cost.  These things balance though and he us happy charging 1, we are happy paying 1. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »

Dreenie do you think being a girl helps when selling packages? Think people more likely to take a chance etc?

Point being there's pub near me that has poker after hours, occasionally pop in on way home when drunk and donate- a youngish girl was in game, she had spun £40 case money into £250 and I obv stacked her. She was devastated and nearly in tears, she got young kid etc. So I gave her the money back. Now of that was a bloke id probably be more along the lines "shouldn't be playing with last money etc"

Being popular obviously helps when charging markup and selling , just wondering whether being female helps as well

Not a dig at you at all btw, just curious how people think
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »

Are you looking for an argument?

The point is about mark ups being too high, not mark ups in general.

Would you may pay £10 for a pint?

Would you pay 1.3 for a average player in x tournament?

It really is the same point in paying over the odds for something.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »

you just love it dont you Aaron Smiley

dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 07:02:52 PM »

Dreenie do you think being a girl helps when selling packages? Think people more likely to take a chance etc?

Point being there's pub near me that has poker after hours, occasionally pop in on way home when drunk and donate- a youngish girl was in game, she had spun £40 case money into £250 and I obv stacked her. She was devastated and nearly in tears, she got young kid etc. So I gave her the money back. Now of that was a bloke id probably be more along the lines "shouldn't be playing with last money etc"

Being popular obviously helps when charging markup and selling , just wondering whether being female helps as well

Not a dig at you at all btw, just curious how people think

No idea if it helps sell, I would probably say it is worse, like if a guy get's a few scores he is seen as a 'sicko', yet if a girl does it it's usually seen as just being lucky one hit wonder type thing, cue Vicky Coren that the crap she got after winning a 2nd EPT.

Obviously it helps being popular, IMO people have to like something about you to want to invest, specially in the worse off stakes i.e 30/70 after stake back. I think it's very very hard to become a successful woman poker player and be recognized in such a way as the men do, and if I'm honest and I had my time again, I would never have gotten into as I find it a very manipulative, destructive environment.

If I was to put a staking package up every week and it never sold, I would not get bitter towards people, everyone has a right to buy or not to buy. The only thing it could possibly do would be to make sure I'm not an idiot with money when I got my chance again.  
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 07:05:28 PM »

Do people think there's a difference between selling on a forum, in a section dedicated to selling action, and selling on Facebook?

Could be mistaken about the etiquette of each, but i tend to feel that on a forum you open yourself up to scrutiny from entire marketplace. Buyers and sellers have a right (an obligation?) to address offers with an unjustified mark up.

If your selling on Facebook youre supposedly selling to friends. Now friends might by your action at inflated MU for any number of reasons. Being subjected to interrogation by a lot of pros who have an understanding of true ROI's might be unreasonable.

Don't know what people think. But i defo don't post negative comments on peoples Facebook walls when they sell. I might do on the forum.
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »

Poker is just a satellite to something better in life anyway, it just provides a quicker timeframe to get to the end goal as opposed to a conventional job. People that get too hung up about it end up being in it for longer than they need to be
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »

Do people think there's a difference between selling on a forum, in a section dedicated to selling action, and selling on Facebook?

Could be mistaken about the etiquette of each, but i tend to feel that on a forum you open yourself up to scrutiny from entire marketplace. Buyers and sellers have a right (an obligation?) to address offers with an unjustified mark up.

If your selling on Facebook youre supposedly selling to friends. Now friends might by your action at inflated MU for any number of reasons. Being subjected to interrogation by a lot of pros who have an understanding of true ROI's might be unreasonable.

Don't know what people think. But i defo don't post negative comments on peoples Facebook walls when they sell. I might do on the forum.

It actually all started off because I couldn't make head nor tail of the proposal so was trying to find out more info, which in itself shows how poor the quality of the post was if even I couldn't understand it. I said a couple of ool comments on there like questioning mark up which I snap apologized for when greekstein pulled me up on it. But I don't see how me questioning why this guy has not put all the info clearly so everyone knows what they are buying into is unreasonable.

If anything, I feel I was the one that got attacked and some of the language on that thread and the tone of people's post go hand in hand in my earlier post to Dubai, as to why if I had my chance again, I would never want to play full time or be involved in the poker community.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »

Poker is just a satellite to something better in life anyway, it just provides a quicker timeframe to get to the end goal as opposed to a conventional job. People that get too hung up about it end up being in it for longer than they need to be

100% agree, very guilty of this.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 07:11:47 PM »

WINNER

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: