blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Saints and Sinners Southampton FC
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saints and Sinners Southampton FC  (Read 143860 times)
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: December 03, 2018, 11:58:13 PM »

As lookalikes go, not one of your best.

The football hipster in me is all of a quiver.

- Exotic funny name
- Never heard of him
- Pedigree in Europe
- Top tier Champions League experience
- Experience in relegation battles
- Learnt with Jurgen Klopp and favours the high press HEAVY METAL style

Sign me up. Why this wasn't done in the Summer, I have no idea but thank god we laughed Moyes/Allardyce and the dinosaurs out the building.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 05, 2018, 01:09:31 PM »

Husenhattl quote

"I think we (Klopp) appreciate a similar philosophy on football – we want to play a high-tempo game, we want our guys to sprint around, press well and these are elements which make the game livelier and varied and get people excited."

Probably getting carried away a bit but this is music to my ears.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 07, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »

Ralph "Rabbit Hutch" Hasenhüttl is the first Premier League manager whose surname is a place where an animal could live since Frank Burrows' 12-day caretaker stint at West Brom in 2004 (also a rabbit dwelling).

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 07, 2018, 01:42:59 PM »

Ralph "Rabbit Hutch" Hasenhüttl is the first Premier League manager whose surname is a place where an animal could live since Frank Burrows' 12-day caretaker stint at West Brom in 2004 (also a rabbit dwelling).

Moor(e)  Smiley
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 13, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »

Southampton have scored 15 goals in 19 games this season in all competitions.

Last night, Dusan Tadic scored twice for Ajax taking his tally to 16 goals in 27 games. 8 in the Champions League taking them into the knockouts and 8 in the league.

What a player.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 13, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »

Last night, Dusan Tadic scored twice for Ajax taking his tally to 16 goals in 27 games. 8 in the Champions League taking them into the knockouts and 8 in the league.

What a player.

his first season at St Marys i rated him more than Mane. Last season he was disappointing for large parts of it.

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 13, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »

What a player.

his first season at St Marys i rated him more than Mane. Last season he was disappointing for large parts of it.

Yes, we sold him at the right time, he certainly appeared to be on the down turn and is 30. He has shown his quality this season though.

Our team was essentially build around him for the last few years. The little creativity we ever had came through him.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 16, 2018, 10:16:12 PM »

Hasenhuttl cancelled all days off earlier this week and has been working them hard with double sessions.

This sums it up nicely from Bertrand.

Click to see full-size image.
Bertrand" border="0

Turns out giving a contract to an actual tactical manager pays dividends.

For long periods, it was night and day between this team and the team of the last 12-18 months. Even if we had lost/drawn, every fan would have gone away uplifted. Just amazing to watch us chasing and pressing high and trying to transition with such pace.

If Hasenhuttl can do that in a week then who knows what he is capable of in this league. A brilliant character on the touchline too, very Klopp esque.

We caught Arsenal at the right time today, they were clearly struggling defensively. That being said, we did very well at restricting a top quality attack.

First home win in 8 months and free pints all round from the new boss! What more could you want for Christmas.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 17, 2018, 06:15:24 PM »

Watched the game yesterday and was impressed with Saints, fully deserving of the victory.

Thought the pressing was sensible and controlled, not just a bunch of players running around like headless chickens. Chances finished off well too.

Really highlights just how poor/limited a manager Hughes is. In theory he should never manage in the PL again but like Pardew, Moyes, Big Sam etc these guys tend to somehow land on their feet with jobs.

Best Bitter.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 18, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »

An interesting story came out of the training ground this week.

Hasenhuttl is renowned for his work ethic - 8am starts and evening finishes every day.

One of the first things he did on joining the club was go out to the training pitches and mark them up into zones. Romeu has been quoted as saying the pitches now look like more like an airport runway, they are so covered in different lines.

The idea behind this is that every player operates in certain zones. He has been having 1:1s with the players to talk to them about their roles within each zone, how they transition etc. Ryan Bertrand was impressed as he had a minor back operation last week so hasn't been around the club. He was sent video footage with commentary from training covering his specific zones and what the manager expected from him.

My impression of the managers named above is that they just haven't adapted to the modern world of football. They are "man managers" but, tactically, have been left behind and I think the majority of clubs are starting to recognise that and move off the merry-go-round. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 30, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »

The PL through the eyes of a Southampton supporter?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 30, 2018, 02:07:10 PM »

just seen the team sheet for today guess we arent that bothered about points or goal different for today's game

must be the youngest back 4 in premier league history

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 30, 2018, 11:58:50 PM »

Back down to earth with a bang.

West Ham were excellent and fully deserved to beat us. We were a long way off the pace against City and the squad suddenly looks thin. Hojberg getting a 4 match ban is a nightmare as he has been our best player this season.

January /Feb is going to be big. Get Chelsea out of the way then it's:-

Leicester
Everton
Palace
Burnley
Cardiff
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 02, 2019, 10:08:30 PM »

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11432373/angus-gunn-completes-southampton-move-from-man-city

Bit out of leftfield this one, but could be a great move for him. Very talented kid, just unfortunate that he'd be in direct competition with Ederson and there's only 1 winner in that battle.

Be surprised if we don't have either a buy back clause or sell on clause.

He now has a great chance of nailing down the number one spot after taking his chance tonight and performing excellently in cup games. What a talent at 22 years old.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 29, 2019, 02:36:31 PM »

Saints have £63m of signings out on loan. 3 of those sit in the top 7 club record signings.

The total cost of the entire team against Everton was £68m.

Austin looking likely to follow if we can get someone to stomach his wages.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: