blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:41:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  moorman1 Wins 24th PocketFives Triple Crown
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: moorman1 Wins 24th PocketFives Triple Crown  (Read 35168 times)
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »

Do you play cash games or strictly MTT's only?
Strudels
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2014, 09:31:59 AM »

Thanks for doing this ! I have a feeling the answer to my question might be different for each person but I'd like to pick your brain anyways. I've been grinding MTT's for 7 years now and have made money each year. I've never been able to make enough to soley do poker so I have a little business on the side selling crap on eBay lol. I balance the two together and scrape by but my dream is poker full time. I can honestly say I'm working 60 hours a week between the two trying to have some gtd income as well as keep chasing my dream. I watch training vids nightly, I've literally probably watched weeks worth of WSOP, EPT coverage. I try and find live streams with no hole cards, anything i can to learn. I guess my question is... how important is that 1st big score in propelling a player to the next level ? I've had a ton of 1K-9K scores but everytime i hit one i need to take out the money for bills because of my lack of other income. I have an 11th and 13th in tournies paying 60K+ to 1st and i feel like if either of those came through I'm in a totally different place in my life. I think some people think being a losing player is the worst but I'm convinced being a small winner takes the cake. It's torture
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »

What do you consider you best moment in poker? Any particular poker aspirations left that drive you on?

I read previously about you tilt shoving, do you still do this? Do you consider yourself one of the best around at tilt shoving?
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2014, 10:00:57 AM »

Ok, my dog fighting questions are still unanswered, but an actual pokery one.

You wrote the book with Byron Jacobs, what was the writing process? Did you both take seperate sections to draft out, or did he interview and do the writing, did he pick the topics or did you, did you disagree on hands etc etc?
Cornishpatriot
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2014, 10:05:19 AM »

Hey Chris,

I actually played pool with Rob Cork and Edwards in the England team. Mcullock was the toughest opponent we ever played. he never gave up on a game! but Edwards was on another level!

Anyway quick question. If you had to start again building a bankroll how would you do it?

Good luck at the tables!
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2014, 10:15:31 AM »

Did you actually make money staking people?  If so, was it worth all the effort/worry/potential grims etc?

If I had quit staking after Dempsey won the Five Diamond WPT or Mohsin won the EPT Grand Final or Ryan Welch won the 5k WSOP event I would have been up a lot. Unfortunately it is not as easy as that as you have to reinvest your profits into the stable to try and get people who you believe in out of makeup. Eventually my luck ran out in staking after a terrible SCOOP and WSOP in 2012 and I decided to give it up completely. I have no regrets about backing though and through it I was able to make some long lasting friendships with people from across the world. When I look back on it now I feel like it was a lot of hard work and didn't allow me to diversify my life outside of poker as much as I would have liked. It was also hugely disappointing to get screwed over by a number of horses post Black Friday who I had helped out in the past. Backing is not something I would recommend people to get into but I had so much fun doing it and riding the emotional roller-coaster. I am way too old for it now though!

Very honest reply.  I think this posted the reality behind the vast majority of staking operations.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »

Very honest reply.  I think this posted the reality behind the vast majority of staking operations.

+1 to my question also.  Winning players get their head around personal BRM but then get a stable BRM miles wrong.  Quite surprising, to me at least.  Every backer I have spoken to also vastly underestimated the amount of work required (at least, if you want to succeed)  There is ofc a very big difference between staking online and live.  Staking online, it is a pretty easy (still requires constant effort) task to make objective decisions based on schedule played, HHs, audits etc, such that 30 players is pretty straightforward to manage.  Live, it takes much longer to get any kind of evidence together that it isn't run-bad to blame.  There are also an infinite number of ways a horse can turn you over too.  I've not dabbled too much with live staking, but having experienced just trying to chase a couple of players around the Rio, 30 would definitely be too much.

Good luck with the book.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Do you actively target triple crowns or are they just a byproduct of your schedule?

Favourite place you have played poker?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »

How many HHS do you look over a week?

If you have a super tough hand and want to get instant feedback who do you send to on skype?

Have you ever been staked?

How good is your girlfriend? I heard she plays really well have you intensively coached her or?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »

How much of your success is down to the volume of play and sheer work you've put into your game and how much is due to natural talent? For example do you think you've done better than some players who seemed to have more 'talent' than you? Obviously it's impossible to know, but I'm interested to know what you think the answer is.

Why do you think you took so long to achieve success on the live stage? Was that just variance or were there other factors involved?

I interviewed you many many years ago and you seemed genuinely fascinated by poker at the time. I remember you talking about widening UTG opening ranges and your eyes lit up at discovering something new and exploitable. Do you still feel the same way about the game? What still excites you about poker?

TYVM
s4ooter

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »

Out of interest - humour an idiot - did you used to play pool?

http://upc-pool.org.uk/cueaction/honours-board/

(Scroll down to the bottom)

If so, we might both have played in the 2004-5 Universities Championship, although I didn't make the Dream Team Roll Eyes

Do you (still) play?

Sick! Which university did you play for? I don't play nearly as often as I would like and whenever I have I am a shadow of the player I was. However, I'm looking into getting lasik eye surgery before the end of the year (laptop grinding messed my eyes up) and it will be easy to motivate myself to play more when I can actually see the balls properly!

Ha! Yes, we were all a lot better then Cheesy

I was in the Cambridge second team that year. Great fun those comps.

Looking through the names there now Mark McCulloch, Ricky Taylor, Carl Caney and Paul Edwards what a blast from the past and some amazing talents

Rob cork still plays occasionally.

Ricky Taylor is still playing in Durham and Paul Edwards is living in London.

I played for UWE during those years. Chris' team KOd us on the KO stages of the first year. In the quarters or semis....

Good old days

Co-Presenter of "In The Muck Poker" Podcast
Pointless Champion - Blonde 2013

Blogging at http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=13225.180
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2014, 06:14:07 PM »

Out of interest - humour an idiot - did you used to play pool?

http://upc-pool.org.uk/cueaction/honours-board/

(Scroll down to the bottom)

If so, we might both have played in the 2004-5 Universities Championship, although I didn't make the Dream Team Roll Eyes

Do you (still) play?

Sick! Which university did you play for? I don't play nearly as often as I would like and whenever I have I am a shadow of the player I was. However, I'm looking into getting lasik eye surgery before the end of the year (laptop grinding messed my eyes up) and it will be easy to motivate myself to play more when I can actually see the balls properly!

Ha! Yes, we were all a lot better then Cheesy

I was in the Cambridge second team that year. Great fun those comps.

Looking through the names there now Mark McCulloch, Ricky Taylor, Carl Caney and Paul Edwards what a blast from the past and some amazing talents

Rob cork still plays occasionally.

Ricky Taylor is still playing in Durham and Paul Edwards is living in London.

I played for UWE during those years. Chris' team KOd us on the KO stages of the first year. In the quarters or semis....

Good old days

Can you confirm whether he was multitabling?

Also, Mr Moorman, are you now considering adding a new chapter to the book, after this somewhat leftfield derail?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:18:20 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2014, 11:09:07 PM »

Do you think mtts are harder to win as there's more learning tools for players  ?
Do you find it harder to win than a few years ago ??
Do you look back and think yeah I've done ok and enjoyed it ?
Have you ever after a bad beat or a daft move thrown the laptop out the back door and gone n kicked it a bit ?? ( like me !! )
Do you still enjoy playing ??
amcgrath1uk

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:41 PM »

Cheers for doing this Chris Smiley

In terms of live poker, was the biggest initial target to get a bigger score than your dad?? ( That was a fun night in Manchester way back!)

Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2014, 12:15:24 AM »

Moormans a good generous lad that deserves everything he gets. Can't believe I wasn't asked to write the foreword tho
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: