blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:41:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272623 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  2014-15 NFL Discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014-15 NFL Discussion thread  (Read 75560 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2014, 09:10:54 PM »

Lions injury list for Sunday is worse than Arsenal's for an average Premier League match.

Megatron playing must be 1.01 now tho. Then the falcons have to double cover etc.

I'm amazed they're only 1/2 to win. Matt Ryan must be wearing extra lumbar support for all the time he's going to be on his back.

Go on then, you can have some 1.05 with me. Very generous!   Grin

Hehe

Bank of Nit doesn't pay out in units of less than a penny, sadly Cheesy

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:23 PM »

Anyone else going?

Taking Jake for his taste of gridiron action.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »

Anyone else going?

Taking Jake for his taste of gridiron action.

I'll be there.

Will be on my own at the Jags-Cowboys game if anyone's up for meeting up beforehand.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2014, 11:25:53 PM »

Be there with my old man. What looked like a good matchup a few weeks back, I fear could be a big Detroit win.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »

I'll be there, group of five of us going
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »

I've left this a bit late but there is a new bag policy at NFL games now. You are only allowed to take in clear bags of a certain size so they can search your bag by sight and don't have to empty them to see contents. It's pretty strict too, in the US they provide a locker service if you do have a bag but that's going to be a right pain trying to retrieve after the game. At most grounds their are people handing out clear bags if you don't have one but might be worth searching for the size restrictions before heading to the stadium as they often run out.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2014, 11:13:42 AM »

Why is the game today @ Wembley described as "Detroit AT Atlanta"?

As it effectively costs Atlanta a home game, (revenue & psychological advantage), how are they compensated for this?

What are the practical differenves in being home or away in NFL?

How many people in total travelled across for this - I mean, the Team & it's entourage of coaches, physios etc. How many would each team comprise?

Do they charter a 747 to bring them across? With the 2 Teams, it must be at least half a Jumbo load. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2014, 11:22:31 AM »

this is a great read from someone who had to organise an nfl team's trip across

http://nflphilosophy.com/the-london-experience/

the home team is compensated. a significant portion of the proceeds (though that, as with most things in the NFL, isn't made public). The reasons vary; for example, teams with small home stadiums and/or difficulty selling out seats will likely make a profit, as Wembley Stadium is reasonably large and typically sells over 80,000 seats per game, buying relatively expensive tickets ($150-$200 depending on the exchange rate, which is on par for a large-market team and more than smaller market teams will typically get). That's why teams like Jacksonville and Tampa Bay agree to do this

its a big thing to lose a home game (you only have 8 a year anyway) so none of the "elite" franchises would lose one

practical differences, mainly timezones, practice times, sleep times

huge entourages

53 in a team, 20 coaches, same medical staff, trainers, admin, team bosses

"When we went on away trips, we typically traveled with 120-140 people. This included staff, coaches, players, and a few guests of marketing. My boss and I were responsible for making sure that everyone knew when and where they were supposed to be and to make sure everyone was accounted for. Similar to a long snapper, it’s one of those jobs where it’s better to go unnoticed. If I was getting noticed, then that usually meant something had gone wrong. With a trip to London, there are limitless opportunities to get noticed.

London, from an operations standpoint, is like a normal away trip on steroids. Lots of them.

Instead of being responsible for 140 people, our total London traveling party was in the neighborhood of 275. Instead of one hotel, we dealt with a total of four hotels. Instead of one or two nights, the team stayed seven nights. Not to mention that everything is different in London – food, driving, language, everything. And I had to work blind."

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2014, 11:25:02 AM »

to deal with some of the ancillary issues, travel times etc teams typically get the week after as their bye week. typically they play on the east coast the week before too

if and when there is a london franchise the team will play blocks of 4 weeks in london, then 4 weeks in the US etc

the most pressing issue for the NFL is to re-introduce a team to LA though, probably via relocating the Rams

My eyes are open wide
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:26 AM »

to deal with some of the ancillary issues, travel times etc teams typically get the week after as their bye week. typically they play on the east coast the week before too

if and when there is a london franchise the team will play blocks of 4 weeks in london, then 4 weeks in the US etc

the most pressing issue for the NFL is to re-introduce a team to LA though, probably via relocating the Rams

do they ever add more teams in or is it a set number of teams forever and one of thouse franchises has to be relocated?

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »

better answer

the NFL gives them the average gate revenue they’d receive at their home stadium in the U.S.
It pays for five-star accommodations for 140 traveling members of each franchise and picks up the tab for the international charter, usually a 747 or 777, which has a base cost of $600,000.

Source: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/02/nfl-team-in-london-international-series/

My eyes are open wide
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2014, 11:31:18 AM »

this is a great read from someone who had to organise an nfl team's trip across

http://nflphilosophy.com/the-london-experience/

the home team is compensated. a significant portion of the proceeds (though that, as with most things in the NFL, isn't made public). The reasons vary; for example, teams with small home stadiums and/or difficulty selling out seats will likely make a profit, as Wembley Stadium is reasonably large and typically sells over 80,000 seats per game, buying relatively expensive tickets ($150-$200 depending on the exchange rate, which is on par for a large-market team and more than smaller market teams will typically get). That's why teams like Jacksonville and Tampa Bay agree to do this

its a big thing to lose a home game (you only have 8 a year anyway) so none of the "elite" franchises would lose one

practical differences, mainly timezones, practice times, sleep times

huge entourages

53 in a team, 20 coaches, same medical staff, trainers, admin, team bosses

"When we went on away trips, we typically traveled with 120-140 people. This included staff, coaches, players, and a few guests of marketing. My boss and I were responsible for making sure that everyone knew when and where they were supposed to be and to make sure everyone was accounted for. Similar to a long snapper, it’s one of those jobs where it’s better to go unnoticed. If I was getting noticed, then that usually meant something had gone wrong. With a trip to London, there are limitless opportunities to get noticed.

London, from an operations standpoint, is like a normal away trip on steroids. Lots of them.

Instead of being responsible for 140 people, our total London traveling party was in the neighborhood of 275. Instead of one hotel, we dealt with a total of four hotels. Instead of one or two nights, the team stayed seven nights. Not to mention that everything is different in London – food, driving, language, everything. And I had to work blind."

great read tighty.  It amazing how much cash it must cost to ship these teams over for one game.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2014, 11:31:54 AM »

do they ever add more teams in or is it a set number of teams forever and one of thouse franchises has to be relocated?

no its not set. its been 32 teams since the intorudction of the Texans, and before that the Panthers and Jags

franchises do move, rarely, or else new franchises are created "expansion franchises"

these build a roster as follows

- first pick in each round of the draft in the two years after they are formed

- each NFL team has to offer the new team 3 players

the new franchise then picks the ones it want, inheriting their contracts

the aim is to get the new franchise competitive as quickly as possible

Cmpetitiveness is everything, for TV rights, stadium revenues etc

for the other teams, this is an opportunity to get rid of bad contracts, ageing players etc

LA is the 2nd biggest city in the US and has no team since the rams and raiders left

an obvious thing to rectify for revenues for the league

My eyes are open wide
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2014, 11:38:06 AM »

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »

That is awesome. Took me a while to spot it.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: