blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  2014-15 NFL Discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014-15 NFL Discussion thread  (Read 75550 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2014, 09:47:04 PM »

Have been giggling about this all day at work:

What do Falcons do?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »

I've left this a bit late but there is a new bag policy at NFL games now. You are only allowed to take in clear bags of a certain size so they can search your bag by sight and don't have to empty them to see contents. It's pretty strict too, in the US they provide a locker service if you do have a bag but that's going to be a right pain trying to retrieve after the game. At most grounds their are people handing out clear bags if you don't have one but might be worth searching for the size restrictions before heading to the stadium as they often run out.

Defo not doing this at Wembley, can take any sort of bag in

People were taking holdalls in yesterday. It's all well and good saying that you'll be fine, but if I took a bag and then couldn't take it in, I'd be in right trouble!

Well in regards to phil's post, yes you would have been fine. Security/searches was as relaxed as I have seen for an NFL game at Wembley

I'm in club for the next game, so I'm expecting I'll be able to bring in a hamper, some opera glasses and my valet.

I expect it will be fine. Not heard from Jeeves for a goodly while, take him as your valet for the day  Grin Grin Grin
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »

As long as DJ Ray is there, I'm sure it'll be fine.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »

I've left this a bit late but there is a new bag policy at NFL games now. You are only allowed to take in clear bags of a certain size so they can search your bag by sight and don't have to empty them to see contents. It's pretty strict too, in the US they provide a locker service if you do have a bag but that's going to be a right pain trying to retrieve after the game. At most grounds their are people handing out clear bags if you don't have one but might be worth searching for the size restrictions before heading to the stadium as they often run out.

Defo not doing this at Wembley, can take any sort of bag in

Sorry bud hope I didn't mislead anyone.

I was lucky in the US that the first game I attended was in Philly and I was staying 10 mins from the ground so could take my stuff back to the hotel. It was strictly one clear bag per person at all the games I went to.I took these bags with me on Sunday after checking out the bag policy link on the email that came with my tickets which said it was adopting the NFL bag policy for the game.

The security was much lighter on Sunday at Wembley tho.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2014, 08:36:32 AM »

This guy isn't very happy

http://deadspin.com/radio-host-mike-francesa-rants-about-the-jets-for-over-1651419724

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2014, 02:21:46 PM »

haha, that is brilliant and you can just see the pain in his face too.

'He's never picked a player before he got here and you could still say the same thing now'

'Orton completed 10 passes for 9.000 yards'

' you know how long it takes a Jet's wr to get 157 yards?...3 years!!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:30:03 PM by bobby1 » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2014, 03:24:09 PM »

Excellent, didn't spot a NFL discussion thread. Saw the Fantasy Football one, but that's way over my head.

I'm sort of a new NFL convert. I used to watch a bit back in the very early Ch4 days and quite enjoyed it, but never really made time to follow it since. There's a friend of mine who's hosted a super bowl party for 20 years this February, and I've finally decided it's time to go to one.

Conscious that I had no idea what was going on in NFL these days, I had the idea of each week picking a few nailed on favourites and having an accumulator. That way I would have interest in several games and hopefully pick up info fairly quickly, so by Super Bowl time I had at least a feel for it. I've been keeping a nice spreadsheet of all the results and form and, after some early wobbles (I would start betting on NFL the year they're saying it stands for No Form League) have started having a bit of success.

I had a win weeks 5, 7, 8 and only got 1 wrong all the other weeks. I've got a bunch of guys from the Super Bowl party chipping in with a bit of advice on my picks, but now I know you guys are here, I'll tap you up for some feedback on my bets too.

This week, I've had to go for 5 games, which is more than I'd like, but some of them are so nailed on, to get over evens, I've had no choice. (I'm match betting, rather than betting the spread).

Week 9 I'm on:
Chiefs to beat Jets
Bengals to beat Jaguars
Seahawks to beat Raiders
49ers to beat Rams.
Browns to beat Buccaneers

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2014, 11:09:04 PM »

lol, seriously though WTF was going on with them getting a guy dressed like a teacher pretending to be a
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2014, 11:40:08 PM »

lol, seriously though WTF was going on with them getting a guy dressed like a teacher pretending to be a

All I could think of was Ray Von.

"Remember to hold on tight or you may die...

...Shabba"

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2014, 10:56:30 AM »

LONDON (AP) — An NFL franchise in London could generate more than $250 million a year for Britain, according to a study released Wednesday.

The study by accountancy firm Deloitte, commissioned by the NFL and a London marketing agency, also casts doubt on the feasibility of a Super Bowl in the British capital and warns of a negative reaction from the United States.

The prospect of a team being permanently based in London has been growing since the NFL first brought regular-season games to the city in 2007. With three games at Wembley Stadium this season, the British government recently offered its backing to persuade a franchise to base itself overseas.

The feasibility study forecasts the city enjoying an annual economic boost of 102 million pounds ($165 million) from hosting eight home games, largely driven by fan spending.

Including spending outside of the capital linked directly or indirectly to a franchise, Deloitte says a London team's total potential gross output in Britain is estimated to be 158 million pounds ($255 million) per season. Deloitte is assuming players and staff would play two games on four visits each season, rather than being based in London.

While the 30-page report paints a positive picture, there are reservations about Wembley hosting the Super Bowl.

A major hurdle to overcome with a Super Bowl in London would be selecting a suitable the kick-off time. Starting at 4 p.m. EST would be 9 p.m. in London and make transport away from Wembley challenging on a Sunday night. Deloitte says a 6 p.m. local time kickoff "may be unlikely to attract the desired television audience in the U.S.," where it would be 10 a.m. on the West Coast.

Predicting that fewer die-hard fans and season-ticket holders would be able to cross the Atlantic, Deloitte cautions that the atmosphere inside the stadium and on television could be affected and impact on the "wider global brand presence."

"The reaction from the NFL's core U.S. market could focus on the negative implications of moving a definitively 'American' event overseas for reasons that may be perceived as solely financial or commercial," the Deloitte report says.

If the NFL instead opted for expanding the International Series to four games in London, the city would still enjoy an annual financial boost of 58 million pounds ($94 million), Deloitte predicts.

The firm estimated that the two games in 2013 directly generated 32 million pounds ($52 million) for London, with league spending accounting for a quarter of that. Renting and securing Wembley cost 2.1 million pounds ($3.4 million) for the two matches.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »

All these figures of financial benefit to London from an NFL team are obvious bullshit.

There's no way the NFL does this without a whole load of financial chicanery ensuring that most of the money generated goes back to the US (remember, this is an organisation that pays fuck all tax as it is). Despite the horrific prices, I'm pretty sure the guys selling the hot dogs aren't going to make $250m from the games.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »

And I honestly doubt if a London team would garner the support of British people. Especially if they suck.

Most everyone who likes the NFL here has a team they follow already.

We are a more mature audience than the typical American one who "if you build it they will come"

Inventing a new team doesn't equal millions of new supporters.

MK Dons lack of support proves a new team isn't guaranteed be a success.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »

It might be different if it was a British team made up of British players, but any London team would just be full of American rejects from other teams who would commute in every month to play a couple of games - hardly something to get the juices going when they end their first season 2-14.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »

I don't really agree with these posts

Personally I would be happy to support a UK franchise as my second team

I would buy a season ticket for 8 home games if the pricing was sensible

it wouldn't be made up of rejects...for starters expansion teams are giving the number 1 draft pick in two drafts so theoretically you'd get a top quarterback for one of these. You could strike it Andrew Lucky, and have a poster boy for your franchise

for past expansion teams each NFL franchise has to make 3 of its roster available for transfer for the new franchise - teams have in the past chosen to get rid of some higher priced players to enable them to do their own rebuilding, so you would almost certainly have some familiar names as part of your new roster

yes an expansion team would typically take several years to have a winning record but it would be fun to watch a good GM build a team

i would imagine a UK team would be placed into the AFC or NFC East (so you get more east coast than west cost games as divisional games, reducing travel)

nothing to stop a london team repeating the success after formation of the panthers and jags who hit the play offs within 5 years of their start

blocks of four games at home make logistical sense.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »

it wouldn't be made up of rejects...for starters expansion teams are giving the number 1 draft pick in two drafts so theoretically you'd get a top quarterback for one of these. You could strike it Andrew Lucky, and have a poster boy for your franchise

nothing to stop a london team repeating the success after formation of the panthers and jags who hit the play offs within 5 years of their start

My biggest concern is how many players are actually going to want to play for a franchise outside of the US and presumably live in a different country for 6 months a year from the start of the playoffs to potentially a Superbowl?

Imagine the 2 QBs drafted with the first 2 picks in the '98 draft (Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf) are in a London team's 1st draft, and they have the #1 pick. The Eli Manning situation from 2004 happens with the guy (Peyton) you want to draft as your franchise QB. Instead of drafting the next Peyton Manning, you get the next Ryan Leaf, instead.

Is a London franchise going to be disadvantaged by having some significant % of players not wanting to play for a London team?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: