blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:31:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Best Ever Bet
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Ever Bet  (Read 13561 times)
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 11:02:40 AM »

Managed to get 16/1 on myself beating a former colleague at table tennis with him playing with a bat, me with a polyurethane lunchbox from the canteen. I had been practising for a fair old while.

I'm decent at the old TT so in my old work I had to do similar just to attempt to even the games out. Was playing with DVD cases, empty 2ltr Coke bottles, and other ridiculous things we could find.

Well played.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 11:07:19 AM »

Jean van De Velde to win the 1999 British Open.  Had a small bet on him to win pre tournament at 100/1 but by the second day I had watched him a bit and was convinced he was going to win so I started backing him in running.  Backed him at all rates from 20-1 down to having my last bet at, I think 6/4.  It is one of the only times I have had a bet again and again.  Standing on the 18th he was two shots clear of the field and hit his drive and it it just missed the stream and I turned to my mate and said "that was a bit bloody close".  The rest, as they say, is history.  I still have nightmares about him chasing me with his shoes and socks off......

claypole

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »

Paul Lawrie in 1999 Open at Carnoustie. It was the early days of in running and Stan James were the trailblazer, Ironic as they are now so far behind 365, Paddy etc.

Conditions were horrendous and he was looking like posting a good score on back 9 so speculatively backed at 66/1 Ew 3 places, had £25ew and still needed the most historic blow up ever at the 18th and a play off to cop. I remember going metal when Van Der Valde kept losing his head at 18
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 11:12:04 AM »

LOL

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »

Managed to get 16/1 on myself beating a former colleague at table tennis with him playing with a bat, me with a polyurethane lunchbox from the canteen. I had been practising for a fair old while.

100/1 on myself beating a friend at snooker, him playing with a cue and me with a mop I found in the utility room. An attritional affair played out after a fair few bottles of red and I duly 'coasted' home.

Love these, vwp sir

Still in running but at the moment its gotta be 1/3 on Nicola Sturgeon next SNP leader. Wasn't mine though, Tighty pointed it out.

Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »

Best Winner

Romford jackpot had reached ~35-38K and was rolling onto a graded card on a Wednesday night where its 3-1 the field- we decided to buy it as soon as the doors open by covering every possible permutation in the 6 races for £46k, lose 27% rake straight away. In the end the prizepool was a record (still to this day) of 88k I think. So if we won it outright we won loads, if another perm won we would nearly break even and somehow if 3 or more won we would lose. 3 dog in 5th leg only had our ticket and smashed and won. Was obviously a great maths bet but whole buzz was good because needed cash in them days as didn't take card for tote bets, so trying to get the money together between Monday night and weds was good fun and got paid out in cash.

Best Loser

Must be 8-10 years ago id guess, we had a friend who was playing for West Ham Youth. West Ham had massive injury crisis and our friend had told us a centre half was going to be playing up front- think it was Ian Pearce will see if can dig it up- anyway was when I just had started in poker and gambling and remember bloke next to me saying just gotta go nut down on this, opportunities like this don't come around very often. I was nearly all in for net worth, managed to get £400 first goal 50/1 £1000 anytime 14/1 £400 last goal 50/1

Was the Monday sky game, West Ham at home v some average side. Boring game, 0-0 and in the 40th minute or so my man misses an absolute sitter. Still have nightmares about it to this day as betfair never had first goalscorer/anytime markets back then so you had to take your punishment.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »

Paul Lawrie in 1999 Open at Carnoustie. It was the early days of in running and Stan James were the trailblazer, Ironic as they are now so far behind 365, Paddy etc.

Conditions were horrendous and he was looking like posting a good score on back 9 so speculatively backed at 66/1 Ew 3 places, had £25ew and still needed the most historic blow up ever at the 18th and a play off to cop. I remember going metal when Van Der Valde kept losing his head at 18
Jean van De Velde to win the 1999 British Open.  Had a small bet on him to win pre tournament at 100/1 but by the second day I had watched him a bit and was convinced he was going to win so I started backing him in running.  Backed him at all rates from 20-1 down to having my last bet at, I think 6/4.  It is one of the only times I have had a bet again and again.  Standing on the 18th he was two shots clear of the field and hit his drive and it it just missed the stream and I turned to my mate and said "that was a bit bloody close".  The rest, as they say, is history.  I still have nightmares about him chasing me with his shoes and socks off......

Meh results orientated imo Claypole!!!!!!

Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »

"West Ham United 0
Southampton 1
by Gordon Thrower

Gutted. Again.
Another home match and another defeat. I've long since given up approaching any match with optimism these days but I was in reasonable spirits during the pre-match session in the Wakefield. I'd had a smashing weekend at the wedding of two good friends and both families and the vicar had forgiven me for my part in the candle-lighting incident that nearly burnt the church down so things were looking up.

The first shock of the evening came with the news that Kanoute was nowhere to be seen on the team sheet. This was despite earlier statements to the effect that Fredi was a definite starter. This bombshell was followed by the news that Ian Pearce was to play up front alongside Defoe with DiCanio dropping back to play just behind the front two. Pearce's elevation to striker meant a return for Repka, whose last appearance had been during the first half of the Leeds match.

We started brightly enough, once Southampton had actually turned up. Apparently nobody realised that there might be a bit of traffic about during the rush hour on a Monday in London so Southampton only arrived at 7.30pm. Which was fair enough as far as I'm concerned - I only arrived at 7.45 myself. We dominated the first half-hour with several good chances going begging. Defoe hooked a volley wide when unmarked from six yards. Sinclair headed wide from a DiCanio free-kick whilst Carrick, who had an excellent first half, produced a good, if comfortable save from keeper Niemi.

And what of stand-in striker Pearce? Well he did win a few in the air but he looked a lot like a player who hasn't played regularly up front for 10 years. His chance when one on one with Niemi was probably the most clear cut that we had. in the first half and I couldn't help feeling that had it fallen to a proper striker we might have gone in 1-0 up."

Found it. Wow 12 years ago, before played poker and was at uni. Doubt anyone got an xmas gift that year.

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »

Stan James

£25ew

Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 11:22:28 AM »

My first ever bet in a betting shop was £20 on Greg Norman to win the masters in 1996 @14/1

Dad offered to buy the slip for £200 on the Sunday morning. Obv told him to do one- even at 13 wasn't gonna give a 1/5 poke away at 1/2
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 11:24:49 AM »

Best Winner

Romford jackpot had reached ~35-38K and was rolling onto a graded card on a Wednesday night where its 3-1 the field- we decided to buy it as soon as the doors open by covering every possible permutation in the 6 races for £46k, lose 27% rake straight away. In the end the prizepool was a record (still to this day) of 88k I think. So if we won it outright we won loads, if another perm won we would nearly break even and somehow if 3 or more won we would lose. 3 dog in 5th leg only had our ticket and smashed and won. Was obviously a great maths bet but whole buzz was good because needed cash in them days as didn't take card for tote bets, so trying to get the money together between Monday night and weds was good fun and got paid out in cash.

Best Loser

Must be 8-10 years ago id guess, we had a friend who was playing for West Ham Youth. West Ham had massive injury crisis and our friend had told us a centre half was going to be playing up front- think it was Ian Pearce will see if can dig it up- anyway was when I just had started in poker and gambling and remember bloke next to me saying just gotta go nut down on this, opportunities like this don't come around very often. I was nearly all in for net worth, managed to get £400 first goal 50/1 £1000 anytime 14/1 £400 last goal 50/1

Was the Monday sky game, West Ham at home v some average side. Boring game, 0-0 and in the 40th minute or so my man misses an absolute sitter. Still have nightmares about it to this day as betfair never had first goalscorer/anytime markets back then so you had to take your punishment.

That is a great tale!

I can just imagine Team Dub walking into Romford Dogs with £46,000 in readies.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 11:25:06 AM »

Some great stories

Best would be a treble at Southwell a good few years back which gave me a nice roll at the time.

Worst would be a silly tricast that i still cant remember why i placed it at Lingfield one day with a friend.

66/1,33/1 somehow kicked way clear and i had Hayley Moore (Garys daughter) on a 20's shot to fill the frame and she dropped her hands 100 yards out

Painful even typing that now
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 11:26:08 AM »

Couple of years ago Dewi put up two horses both double figure odds

I accidentally had £20EW Double instead of £20 EW on each

Love Dewi, it was almost as good as his breakfast thread

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 11:26:54 AM »

Best Winner

Best Loser

That is a great tale!

I can just imagine Team Dub walking into Romford Dogs with £46,000 in readies.

Was me and Kev Allen. Both still talk about it to this day
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »

That must have been the perfect nightmare, watching it all unravel so slowly.

The commentary by Peter Alliss was quite something too, he was fit to bust.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: