blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:45:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Best Ever Bet
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Ever Bet  (Read 13902 times)
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2014, 01:25:14 AM »

Great story Nakor
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2014, 06:16:30 AM »

Great thread dewi you start all the best ones

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »

A mate rang me from a Thai brothel about 15 years ago.

He had been there for about 6 hours with a very famous snooker player.

They had been on the lash for over 24 hours and he estimated that the player had consumed 30 bottles of Chang and a decent sized bag of coke.

He was due to play his first round match in the Thailand Masters in about 90 minutes.

His opponent was 11/4.......

Probably JW? he's always there degening It up...
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »

£1 e/w norton coin when I was a skint student all those years back, 'twas a good night..
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:25:15 AM by Woodsey » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2014, 09:36:12 AM »

Loved Nakor's tale, I could relate to so much of that.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »

Incred stuff Nakor!

Adz gave me Ile De Re for the Chester Cup @ 25/1

We had a couple of nice touches on "our" next door, didnt we.

Cheltanian, when he won the Bumper, had every man and his dog on hat one, for months in advance, if I recall?

Still with pride of place in the Toilet gallery of heroes, will be the wonderful Richard Guest on Red Marauder winning the 2001 National. With a circuit to go I had a large bet on RM and a saver on Smarty and a decent RF. At this stage they were the only two left. No one else in the room had either and had lost interest, whereas I was squirming and watching every second through my fingers.

Good times.

Yeah, almost forgot that one... Probably because he spent most of last year frustrating us Cheesy

Definitely had a few free nights out on antepost touches!

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »

Probably my sweetest bet(s) ever were on England winning the RWC in 2003. I regularly rounded my party poker account down to the nearest $100 and put loads of small bets on England over an 18 month period up to the event. I probably had 50-100 small bets placed over that period that accumulated into probably around $5k placed, by far my biggest bet on one event. Obviously being a massive rugby fan and winning the bet you can how elated I was  Smiley
Rubbish2407

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »

1994, Wales v Scotland 5 Nations opening Match.

A couple of weeks before my mate and I had watched Cardiff play someone and Mikey Rayer scored a try where he had slid in from the 22 metre line. Fast forward a couple of weeks and Wales hosted Scotland.

It had pissed down for about three days and Wales had Ieuan Evans and Nigel Walker on the wings. Both were speed merchants and the ground was definitely against them. I popped in a Bookies, can't remember which one, and asked for a price on Rayer to score the first try. The guy behind the counter quite dismissively informed me that Rayer wasn't starting. I told him I knew that so he had a quick conflab with the Manager and offered me 50/1. My mate and I had a tenner each on it.

It must be said that back in those days there wasn't a slew of subs like there is today, especially not tactical ones. Nigel Walker was injury prone though and Rayer, even though he was a full back, was the Guy who would replace him.

This doesn't show the first try but you can see from the second why we wanted to be on Rayer.

We were actually sat not far away from where he slid in and celebrated like we had scored the try ourselves. Happy days.

"The Full Eso Kral": To back every possible outcome in an event and lose whatever happens.
Keith Hawkins 10/01/2014
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »

My best bet ever was probably my one and only Cheltenham experience. I had seen Denman lose to Madison Du Berlais at Kempton and felt he needed the run. He looked good in the paddock and all seemed well.

Got to Cheltenham and he was 13/2 without Kauto Star which struck me as a huge price. Having lost every race previous I chucked the contents of my pocket on it and it duly held on for 2nd to bank an extremely successful day.

Had 2 winning lucky 15's which annoys my dad no end as he has been trying for decades and yet to get one!

The number 11s bet on here was a great spot (by someone) was such value it was untrue looking at the games and duly obliged but shame it was max 25 quid.

Rubbish2407

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2014, 05:11:52 PM »

One of my other favourites was 1997-98 title race. I guess a young Dubai would have been all over this?

Man Utd were miles clear but Arsenal had games in hand and more importantly, United had to travel to Highbury. I remember one bookie actually paid out on United and I think Arsenal were 6/1. I convinced my mate we had to play and we had a ton each on Arsenal. Slowly but surely Arsenal won their games in hand and then beat United 1-0, I think, at home. I think the Gunners did the Double that year as well?

Me and the Missus, who was six months pregnant with my Daughter, traveled around France for a month on the winnings.

"The Full Eso Kral": To back every possible outcome in an event and lose whatever happens.
Keith Hawkins 10/01/2014
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »

Good stories Rubbish
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2014, 10:04:20 PM »

One of my other favourites was 1997-98 title race. I guess a young Dubai would have been all over this?

Man Utd were miles clear but Arsenal had games in hand and more importantly, United had to travel to Highbury. I remember one bookie actually paid out on United and I think Arsenal were 6/1. I convinced my mate we had to play and we had a ton each on Arsenal. Slowly but surely Arsenal won their games in hand and then beat United 1-0, I think, at home. I think the Gunners did the Double that year as well?

Me and the Missus, who was six months pregnant with my Daughter, traveled around France for a month on the winnings.

Great story.

Yep, they won the double that year.

On Boxing Day 1997 Arsenal were 13 points behind United with 1 game in hand. So a massive turnaround and a great bet. So much for the myth of United being better in the 2nd half of the season Smiley.  You are right about beating United 1-0 at home but that was actually with 10 games  to go.

Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2014, 11:19:51 PM »

Though with regard to BSQ, I sort of miss them now. A hark back at a more clueless age of odds-setting

*insert The Camel joke here*

I'd left Blue Squirrel many years prior to 2008.

Think you can lay the blame for this rick squarely on the doorstep of Mr Raab.

Was a joint effort but prob more me than Jon 

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »

Nakor - just wanted to thank you for posting that tale. Brilliantly written and really, really made me smile.

Allez!!
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »

My two favourite bets were tips from here.

Pab to win the BlueSQ GUKPT final in 2008 - $10 EW at 125/1. And I wasn't the only one from here - don't think they ran a book on poker ever again.

Also, Lord Chompy's in depth knowledge of the Swedish Eurovision scene - 9/1 for this guy to win Melodifestivalen. Let's all enjoy it together.

Think Stjernberg was my favourite bet of last year.

Best single hit was Ukraine in 2004 (ten years ago? really?), backed from 16-1 into 3-1, laid off on the night, and then re-backed at double figures around halfway.

Sickest near-miss was Belgium in 2003, backed at 125-1, 100-1, 80-1 and 66-1. Double-figure points clear with two juries left and nabbed on the line by Turkey. Still fumming.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:06:02 PM by Chompy » Logged

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: