blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:43:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Competition Time........Moorman's book
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Competition Time........Moorman's book  (Read 12641 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »

We have 5 signed copies to give away

How to win one

Over the next week tikay and I are looking for the best posts and new threads on the forum

by "best" it might mean funniest post, busiest new thread, post most helpful to another poster...a blank canvas

I will give a shortlist to tikay this time next week (and probably put that shortlist on the thread here to be above board) and he will choose who gets a copy of the book

the following are excluded from the promotion* for always talking complete rubbish: Verndog158, Rexas

* possibly.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:11:16 PM »

If i am lucky enough to win , could i have my copy signed by Trigg.  Thanks.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 12:53:38 PM »

by "best" it might mean a blank canvas

Click to see full-size image.

have pm'd address
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »

Does it matter if your brain becomes a blank canvas when challenged like this!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:26:16 PM by The Wycher » Logged
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »

How to win one

Over the next week tikay and I are looking for the best posts and new threads on the forum

by "best" it might mean funniest post, busiest new thread, post most helpful to another poster...a blank canvas

I will give a shortlist to tikay this time next week (and probably put that shortlist on the thread here to be above board) and he will choose who gets a copy of the book

the following are excluded from the promotion* for always talking complete rubbish: Verndog158, Rexas

* possibly.

Id like to challenge that accusation, think it is increbibly harsh and totally untrue. I once called rexas a tosser, so I cant possibly talk 100% rubbish. I expect my signed copy in the post.
Thanks all, and good luck to the rest.

P.S. I would like to nominte theprawnidentity for a copy, after the total farce and comic genius that was his staking thread yesterday, one in which for a change, ended with him returning funds to investors, and not asking for a top up

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »

How to win one

* possibly.

Id like to challenge that accusation, think it is increbibly harsh and totally untrue. I once called rexas a tosser, so I cant possibly talk 100% rubbish. I expect my signed copy in the post.
Thanks all, and good luck to the rest.

P.S. I would like to nominte theprawnidentity for a copy, after the total farce and comic genius that was his staking thread yesterday, one in which for a change, ended with him returning funds to investors, and not asking for a top up

You also think Katy Perry is one of the top best selling artists of all time. After this, your opinion literally means nothing to anyone.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 06:40:06 PM »

Typical of you two to try and get in early with poor attempts at humour to win a book!

Pick me Pick me

*Formerly freshprinceofbetair

I work in the pokers. This does not make me good at pokers.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 06:47:57 PM »

Typical of you two to try and get in early with poor attempts at humour to win a book!

Pick me Pick me

Humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:31:04 PM »

How to win one

* possibly.

SHOTGUN by the way. im sure youll appreciate that shotgun rules apply Smiley

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
GlennDuskTillDawn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »

SHOTGUN by the way. im sure youll appreciate that shotgun rules apply Smiley

RELOAD.

Also.

How to win one

* possibly.

Locked.

*Formerly freshprinceofbetair

I work in the pokers. This does not make me good at pokers.
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »

Only just read this - best staking thread ever.

Just saying 
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »

Only just read this - best staking thread ever.

Just saying 

I nominated the thread to the other Mods

They said that the thread was started BEFORE the competition was announced, so your thread does not qualify, and you can go and do a one.

Just saying. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »

winners are as follows....

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »

everyone missing the point here imo.

I think deciding where to play there should be a load more important factors to consider before where the softest stnd of play is, whether or not you're going to make a big ICM mistake is, or if there will be a gaggle of Pro players hunting you for your money.

The best thing about being a recreational player is that you can play poker without a legitimate expectation of profit, and because of this you can base decisions about where to play on much more pleasant criteria than pro players; playing DTD tonight cos that fit valet is working, going to play some 50p£1 and get smashed with my pal, going to play Gala tonight cos it's a 10minute walk and I can have a drink etc.

Spending too much time deliberating about the "value" of certains games just seems like a drain on the enjoyment of playing recreational poker to me. I've spoken to with loads of guys over the years and heard lots of different explanations for there motivation to play poker, from "gets me away from the wife one night a week" - "I just like trying to break some pro's soul" - "I really like playing" (simple I know!!)

Basically if you wanna win at poker then you have to play in games with weaker players than you, as B+W as that sounds, and if you've ever run a variance simulation (not something I'd advise as it's quite confusing and probably the dullest thing that it's possible to do lol) but you'd see that if you play poker sporadically over a year then the difference between a -10% and +10% ROI is irrelevant. I would focus my energy on where you want to play, where is most fun to play, what satisfies you most - fast action, low exposure, rowdy table banter, chance to win big money etc and playing well within your means instead of trying to find game that you feel are +EV, when they might still not be, and even if they are you'll never really be able to beat the variance, and if you're going to be at the mercy of variance then you need to get lucky anyways, may as well go to where you like playing, play with people you like playing against in games you want to play and just accept you need to be slightly luckier than you would be playing elsewhere!

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=64460.30

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »

Nice idea for a thread.

The Good

Cheltenham November meeting a couple of years ago. Good ole' Swing Bill is in the last race of the day for David Pipe - an amateur rider's handicap. Pipe also has the jolly in the race - Alderluck....

Now the more observant have, over time, noticed that Swing Bill is rather handy fresh. Looking back at the previous years' form he is just always on the premises. First run in corresponding campaigns below:

2010 - 1st
2011 - 1st

Goes at Cheltenham and yet he's 25/1 in places in the morning which is, frankly, preposterous.

My friend Toby and I take prices in the morning over the Racing Post and a fry up at a ghastly greasy spoon we go to which is bang near the chute down to Paddington Station and the platform that leads to racing Mecca.

All aboard the 2hr+ train ride that culminates in winding through some lovely countryside - the first reminder that you are properly out of the rat race for the day.

Wander from the station, call in at a proper local's pub, couple of pints of Guinness and skip the ham roll as "eating is cheating until you've backed a winner".

Cracking afternoon at what must be my favourite place in the world as excitement builds for the last race. It's practically dark of course and the ring is increasingly deserted. In we go again at the last book that is 16/1 as cash money >>> electronic and there's not even really a sweat - hoses home.

Into the satchel he goes, and digs out our winning in Scottish £50 notes - I mean really. Petty from him as they're a bugger to spend, but by this point we are in such fine spirits we find it all hilarious. Couple of swift celebratory pints, train ride to Paddington, tube down to Wimbledon dogs and we back four of the last five winners there.

Strong day.

The Bad

Earlier this year I bought a small share in a chaser called Asian Prince in training with Alastair Lidderdale. AP had only run over fences the once, running creditably and jumping really neatly in hot company (Smad Place, Le Reve, Le Bec) at Huntingdon before completely emptying two out. Something struck me about the speed with which he had emptied, so when Alastair and Kev told me he had had a wind op, I was in for a share. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Off we go down to Fontwell on a grey and wet Tuesday. Me, Toby (see above) and a friend Robin twice our age and former seriously high up in the RAF/MoD. What a trio we must have looked.

Couple of bitters and a fish pie at The Fox Goes Free (up there with my favourite pubs) before driving on to the course. The money is already down at 7/1-8/1, and Timeform like him too which buoys spirits. I've had the biggest bet I've had on a horse, and naturally go in again at the track (see above!)

This time there is no fairy tale. He hates the ground which is much softer than expected, and is pulled up about half way through the race. He comes back safe and sound, which is more than can be said for my bank account.

Would I change any of the above? Not on your nelly.

Of course he dots up at Huntingdon next time out at 7/1. I've only had a token bet as Yard wasn't too keen - marv. What's more I'm down in Devon on hols so only watch it in a local Indy. I've let Hels have a fiver on him though to coax her out of the antiques shop so I can watch the race. We now have another nice crystal bowl, which somehow seems fitting.

Excited about a summer jumping campaign AP does a tendon about 10 days after and has been out since (6mths or so). Got to love horse racing.

The Ugly

Wednesday of the Festival, and somehow I'm there with Hels (normally a pursuit with a couple of racing chums, can't remember what led to this set of circumstances). She's obviously already got her eye on some rather spenny furs so we could do with a winner or two...

I'm on Rock on a Ruby for the Neptune at, effectively, 25/1 (ew) having got on for someone earlier in the year when (a) I had an account with Stan James (!) and (b) were doing a price boost each day in the run up to the Festival.

Helen and I are stood about half a furlong out, so where the run in has really started to get into a horse if any doubts over stamina. RoR runs a belter of a race, and over the last I fancy we might be in.

Helen's excitement reaches fever pitch as he and First Lieutenant come past us, RoR still a neck or so in front. She's mentally already wearing that hat with the little fox's head poking off the front of it.

I, however, know that our goose is cooked. As Helen screams with the rest of the crowd, I can see exactly what is about to happen. 1.05 RoR traded, probably about 50-60yds before they came past us. By the time they reached our spot I wouldn't have backed him with stolen money. Funny old game.

Of course Helen thought second place in such a valiant battle was quite an achievement. Whilst it didn't feel it at the time, I rather suppose it was. Hels still wears the consolation fur band we bought that day - don't think I will forget that one in a hurry.

NB. RoR of course went on to win the Champion the next year. Had I backed him? Nope, couldn't have him. Had my mate who I got the bet on for in the Neptune? Yep, including a fiver at 1000 on Betfair. What a life.

My eyes are open wide
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: