blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 03:05:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272921 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  The TEMPORARY Nuts - First Hand.......
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The TEMPORARY Nuts - First Hand.......  (Read 12964 times)
elblondie

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2006, 09:46:58 PM »

it's the old is the glass half full or is it half empty.
I could have an accident on the motorway tonight driving to Glasgow but I think it is unlikely because most of the time I dont. (even though I am blind)

i'll walk a million miles for one of your goals
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2006, 09:49:52 PM »

If your blind I reraise

ariston

better lucky than good
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2006, 10:17:24 PM »

Quite compelling reasons for both the fold and the call. In my opinion its a question of utility. What is your aim of playing in the tourney?

If you are in the wsop for the first time, and the primary objctive is just to soak in the experience, play with the professionals, and generally experience the wsop fully, then the correct decision is most likely a fold.

If your goal is to maximize your EV, then its a really clear call.

Its similiar to the canonical "would you fold AA first hand" question, and the same principle applies.

So the answer isn't a yes or a no, the answer is to ask yourself  "what is my goal in the wsop", and through deriving that goal, you derive the correct answer to this question... because contrary to popular belief, not everyone plays poker with the sole objective of making money or maximizing their EV

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2006, 03:46:39 PM »

Excellent Post by Totalise, I don't play poker purely to win, it's something I enjoy imrnensely, & I want to be at the table as long as I can, which is maybe my biggest weakness as a player, but not necessarily as a person. But I think I'd call.

Great, & very thorugh, response by Monty, who came up with angles that nobody else had mentioned. I think he may have a future in the game.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2006, 03:57:43 PM »

Quite compelling reasons for both the fold and the call. In my opinion its a question of utility. What is your aim of playing in the tourney?

If you are in the wsop for the first time, and the primary objctive is just to soak in the experience, play with the professionals, and generally experience the wsop fully, then the correct decision is most likely a fold.

Its similiar to the canonical "would you fold AA first hand" question, and the same principle applies.

So the answer isn't a yes or a no, the answer is to ask yourself  "what is my goal in the wsop", and through deriving that goal, you derive the correct answer to this question... because contrary to popular belief, not everyone plays poker with the sole objective of making money or maximizing their EV

But surely a call and winning would enable you to maximise your chances of soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the event for longer. (As JungleCat said earlier)

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2006, 04:05:28 PM »

But surely a call and winning would enable you to maximise your chances of soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the event for longer. (As JungleCat said earlier)

Correct. And a loss would mean the greatest experience of my Poker Life, which I'd looked forward to for months, & would probably never be able to  play again, would be over after 1 hand.

But on balance, I think I'd call - if my nerve did not fail me!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2006, 04:10:31 PM »

After reading this thread through Tikay, I realised that you should have passed.

I mean at your age the long term EV might not come to fruition over the LOOOONNNNGGG haul, you have to take the wins when you get them and gamble less.

Surely you are due for the free bus pass off the government soon?

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2006, 04:15:43 PM »

After reading this thread through Tikay, I realised that you should have passed.

I mean at your age the long term EV might not come to fruition over the LOOOONNNNGGG haul, you have to take the wins when you get them and gamble less.

Surely you are due for the free bus pass off the government soon?

Yup, Bus Pass due in 18 years.

But to be serious, more & more I do think "this may be my last year". Not in a sad or morbid way, but it is what it is, & has to be faced. So I live for today, & on that basis, I guess I ought to call. I get blinded away a lot in poker, but it won't happen in life, I'm going out foot to the floor!!

Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2006, 04:19:42 PM »

Sorry about the joke I feel like a proper git nowv   , I had no idea this was going to be your last year mate.  The call was the right one regardless, If you dont get your money in with the Nuts then you should not sit down at the table.

I look forward to seeing you at Blonde Bash 2  Cool

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2006, 04:23:39 PM »

Sorry about the joke I feel like a proper git nowv   , I had no idea this was going to be your last year mate.  The call was the right one regardless, If you dont get your money in with the Nuts then you should not sit down at the table.

Not at all , I think we had a "whoosh" there. My (badly made) point is that I am 47, going on 50, & we don't live for ever. But I am hoping I have a year or two yet, you don't get rid of me THAT easy!

Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2006, 04:44:22 PM »

Not at all , I think we had a "whoosh" there. My (badly made) point is that I am 47, going on 50, & we don't live for ever. But I am hoping I have a year or two yet, you don't get rid of me THAT easy!

Yep  a whoosh for sure   

Well at least I have another year or so to relieve you of youyr bankroll. Cheesy

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2006, 04:59:46 PM »

Thought you were a Scot? You have NO chance my friend! They can't play up there. Stick to cheating in quizzes would be my advice.

See you at the next Bash!

Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »

Thought you were a Scot? You have NO chance my friend! They can't play up there. Stick to cheating in quizzes would be my advice.

See you at the next Bash!

Who mentioned playing, I am talking about mugging!!

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »

Oops. 1-1 in the Whoosh Stakes.

bundle

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »

Well I would just like to Thank the Pro's for popping in and giving us their view on it...I think it always makes a big difference to see what they would, or might do...Thank you.

Only on Blonde do you get this kind of thing..Fantastic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: