blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:21:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Luton Calling.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Luton Calling.  (Read 115658 times)
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2015, 12:09:01 AM »

Evening Blonde!

I have to start work in about half an hour, but thanks to the snow that blasted most of the east cost of the USA earlier this week all of our American clients have cancelled their trips to the UK meaning I should have a nice stress free night. Up until about 6am when the grouchy UK guys start to wake up and make outrageous demands that go against the laws of physics. You can't make a car that's 15 minutes away get to you in 5 minutes. It's not possible, I can't do it, stop asking.

---

I am going to have to cut down on the amount of tournaments I'm playing in Luton for the next few months to make sure the Las Vegas bankroll is solid. I can imagine there's no worse feeling for a poker player than getting to the WSOP and realising that you don't have enough money to play what you want to play.

I plan on sticking to the cash games though for as long as the usual suspects will continue to splash about. £1/£2 is becoming more popular than the 50p/£1 now in Luton, and I never thought I'd see the day. There was a table of £1/£2 that was running from Friday night through to Sunday morning last weekend, which is great for cash action. Will be swinging by at 8am after a good nights sleep to have a go at those who are knackered and hungover at some point soon.

Awaiting the WSOP 2015 schedule to properly plan my events, but for now it looks like I am in the $1500 Monster Stack for sure. Turns out I booked the wrong dates and will miss the Millionaire Maker, but the Monster Stack has a 7 figure first prize anyway so it's not that much of a big deal for me.

Those Luton comps might be £40 a go on average, but with train fair/taxi/dinner and re-entries it all adds up over the months and grinding 7 hours for a £100 cash is just not on my radar anymore. Especially when people are just gifting 100bb pots at cash games still. I would rather save the £2000 it would cost in total to play them and just have 12 extra buyins for $1/$3 cash games.

Not sure of the process of getting a bundle of cash on the plane without any weird questions. I suppose if my flight ticket says Las Vegas they will put two and two together, but what would be the best way to get $10,000 from my bank to cash to my hotel room safe with the minimum of fuss? Just bundle it up and stick it in my carry on? Half and half? Use my bank card? Currency exchange in the airport on arrival? 10 bags is probably a pittance for most airport workers dealing with Vegas tourists, but it would be handy to know.

scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2015, 12:14:02 AM »

don't get at the airport.

use a company like FairFX who deliver it via secure delivery, or go into London and use Covent Garden FX IMO.

10k is fine.  you are allowed 10k dead without declaring it when arriving into vegas. 

its always been fine in my carry on bag.  don't think many mugger operate on aeroplanes.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 29, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »

If you change at the airport today you could easily be getting 1.40 when you could be getting 1.50. To spell that out, it is the difference between getting $10k for £6666 or £7142.

Not a personal comment aimed at you, it is very common amongst poker players. They will cut back on dinners and then give a monkey away on foreign exchange malpractice.

If it were me, I'd rather save a monkey in foreign exchange and enjoy several dinners with it instead.

The rest of it is standard - you can take $10k hassle free, but don't be casual about it. A penny over and you could in theory have it seized. Cooperate fully and try and have receipts/paperwork which proves it is legally yours. 5k in each pocket is fine to get there. $1k chips are easier on your pocket when there.

Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2015, 04:41:26 AM »

Evening Blonde!

I am currently in the middle of the most tilting session of my entire poker 'career'. The losses are $50 which is bugger all really, but I have won exactly one pot at showdown in the past 4 hours.

I'm playing $1/$2 Razz to get my Pokerstars VIP status up before it resets my VPPs for the month. It's like printing money 9 out of 10 times, but tonight I cannot win a pot. Bricking every single hand, losing to people who can't lay down J-2-3-T-8-8 when I am showing X-X-3-4-8-K-X (even though I managed to double pair). Almost every hand is unplayable, A-5-Q, 8-7-J, 6-5-6, A-8-A.

I have been in a 4 hour war with this chap from Brazil who never folds. Will defend a King up, and he has managed to get there every single time. I make a 75, he makes a 65. I have 2-3-4-5 and brick it all, and he wins with the 9 lo. Everyone who I have tagged as a 'Fun Player' seems to be on the world's biggest upswing courtesy of the bank of Ransom.

I'm getting the VIP points which is what I am after, my losses can be erased fairly easily, but it's the frustration of not winning a pot I am a huge favourite in every single time. Having to fold the 86 you made on 5th street because matey from Sao Paulo is raising you and you know he's made another 6 lo somehow.

I lost a near on £500 pot at cash this time last week, and was nowhere near as irritated. I am literally sweating spinal fluid over about £30. I'll get a $50 VIP Store credit shortly to cover the losses, but that just feels like cheating. Woe is me. Had a winning day yesterday, funny how that's the first thing you forget when you're on a bad one.

Today's graph for Razz is below. Using FreePokerDB for it, because no other tracking programs support Stud games. It looks like it's from the 90s and performs like it too.

Click to see full-size image.

The say in hell you play Razz. You start with A-2-3-4 and get dealt K-K-K. Makes me want to live a pure Christian life. Shame degeneracy is such fun.

UgotNuts

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »

No Updates in a while Ransom! Was enjoying your writing! ;-)
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2015, 07:14:51 PM »

Hello Blonde!

It's been a while! A combo of hardly anything interesting happening, a laptop with a knackered charger and a crippling illness have kept me away. A cold counts for a crippling illness right?

I find that when I play poker live, it's about 3/1 that I end up with a cold in the next few days. All those people in close proximity, passing chips and cards between each other. It's effectively a nuclear bomb to my weak immune system. I have survived car crashes, tumbles down a cliffside and a couple of late night kebab van kickings with barely a scratch. But cough in my direction and I am bedridden for a week choking down lemsip and sneezing into enough tissues that anyone going into my bedroom would think I was a chronic masturbator.

---

My last poker trip was last Monday. Headed to the Vic in the afternoon for some cash action with a plan to play at the Luton G in the evening.

Get into the cardroom at about 2:30pm, with £300 and a dream. Check the lists for games running, and there is one table of £1/£1, one table of £1/£2, and a £5/£10. Put my name on the £1/£1 and £1/£2 and decided to just sit whatever got called first.

First person I clap eyes on was Charlie Carrel. The guy is such a sicko. Heard he took a £60K PLO pot at the Vic that week, and won the Sunday $500 on Stars that week also. Not too shabby for a chap who started at the micros in 2013. I hoped that if I rubbed shoulders with him, then I might get a bit of the magic run good dust on me and I would take down some juicy pots. He was on the £5/£10 or something though so no such luck.

Got called for the £1/£2 and was in for £200. Was up some, then down some, then somehow managed to get it in with 88 vs ATo against a loose passive Indian chap and turn a straight after the 567 flop. All in all we made about £50 profit from the 3 hour session at The Vic. When I go to the cage to cash out my meager winnings, some kid who looks like he's not even old enough to be in a cardroom dumps £16,000 in chips on the counter. What a life.

If there's one thing I hate the most, it's the rush hour trains from London to Luton/Bedford. Packed in like sardines, everyone trying to look more important than everyone else in their suits with their ties done up to eleven, looking miserable as fuck on their way back to their two bedroom house in St Albans where they have to deal with their wives and kids until the rat race starts again at 6am. Just looking at them on that train makes me realise that the 9-5 lifestyle is not for me.

---

I get to the Luton G at about 7pm for the £30+£5 comp with a 30k starting stack. I have been vocal about how I feel about these smaller comps that get 20-50 runners having massive starting stacks, but this one seemed to be structured well enough that after the initial 4x30 minute levels everything leveled out nicely.

Managed to dust off the first 30k bullet within 6 minutes. I think it's a record for the most big blinds spewed in the first level.

4 handed table - We have   - blinds 25/50.

UTG opens to 200.
Button Calls.
We 3bet to 700.
UTG folds.
Button 4bets to 3000. - I have history with this player, and I am convinced he thinks I'm just an aggro internet kid who constantly 3to5 bets every hand. Does not like me at all.
We reraise to 7000.
He makes it 12000.
We shove for 32000.
He calls.
He has   .

We turn a diamond sweat but brick it and end up with about 800 left behind which we spin up to about 6k but dust off quickly. It was pretty well played by him, I feel he was anticipating my 3bet so by calling he keeps his range super wide and I just level the arse off myself.

---

I promised Scott I would post a hand we played but I have forgotten it despite me promising not to. Sorry mate, if you remember it stick it in.

---

I have this thing I like to call "Red Light/Green Light". This might make me seem like a nutter who thinks he has magic poker powers - but when something doesn't make sense in a hand, I will get an image of a set of traffic lights with the green light flashing - the more it flashes, the more suspect I feel the play is . I'm not sure if this is something other players experience, but it has served me well over the years in making some really thin hero calls. It's basically my bullshit alarm, and it's got a pretty high success rate.

We open   from the Hijack at 400/800/100. Called from the button.

Flop   .

We bet around 2k, and get snap shoved on for like 18k. On goes the green light.

Villain has been chatting about wanting to "outplay me like I outplayed him" (I think I 3bet shoved the river with T7 for a turned top pair and he folded - another Green Light moment)

I do a little speechplay about how I must have the best hand. I convinced myself I did, and make the call with King High with two cards to come.

He has     for the up and downer.

Binks the   on the turn.

We return the binkage by smacking the   on the river.

Many times we get this in drawing quite thin, but on this occasion we look like a mad poker Uri Geller. Spoons to table one.

---

Blinds are 4000/8000/1000, and Andy Lyew takes position on me. Andy is the player I have the most history with, and the unfortunate honor of losing flips to me all the time. I've got to know him quite well after we got sat next to each other for about 8 comps running in 2013. He knows that I know that he knows that I know and so on...much more fun and I always enjoy our battles.

I have about 100K at this point after losing a 70k all in to a flush draw that turned top pair. Andy opens to 16000 UTG.

I have   in the BB.

I know he is capable of making some possibly too tight laydowns after opening. I also know he is capable of opening extremely light with a shortish stack (we both have about 100k). So I pile the chips in. I regret it almost immediately. I pictured him just tank folding, he's done it to me tons of times.

He snaps my neck with   .

Flop Qxx
Turn 4
River is bullshit because we didn't win.

Andy is my Scooby Doo type nemesis in the sense that we seem to always be tangled up in pots for the sake of playing pots with each other. Jamming 45hh though? I would have gotten away with it....

---

Sat at 50p/£1 cash for a bit, super boring game. Got talked into DC. Lost £100 - most of it in a 6card Omaha hand where we have middle set, King blockers to broadway and the nut flush draw. River is the only king that would make broadway without giving me the nut flush. We check - he pots £55 - we curse our luck and fold.

Total damage for the day -£200.
Train fare back from London because I bought an Off Peak ticket - £14.50.
Cost of Lemsip, Sinex and Strepsils - £8.
Calling King high and being right - PRICELESS.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:35:29 PM by Ransom » Logged
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2015, 07:22:15 PM »

Is that trip to The Vic ever going to be +EV?

Afternoons there seemed to be full of the old school nits who are just racking up the hours to get into the freeroll.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2015, 07:29:16 PM »

Is that trip to The Vic ever going to be +EV?

Afternoons there seemed to be full of the old school nits who are just racking up the hours to get into the freeroll.

Not really IMO.

We get almost zero table selection, and poker in London during the afternoons is mainly people jumping from cardroom to cardroom to rack up loyalty points. On this occasion it wasn't all that bad, fairly typical £1/£2 fare. 5xbb open, 3 players to a flop etc. Middle aged Indian chap I mentioned was the oldest one there at that time.

If I went 50 times at 2pm, I know I would spend most of those hours trying to get blood from a 75 year old stone.
UgotNuts

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2015, 07:47:33 PM »

Hello Blonde!

It's been a while! A combo of hardly anything interesting happening, a laptop with a knackered charger and a crippling illness have kept me away. A cold counts for a crippling illness right?

I find that when I play poker live, it's about 3/1 that I end up with a cold in the next few days. All those people in close proximity, passing chips and cards between each other. It's effectively a nuclear bomb to my weak immune system. I have survived car crashes, tumbles down a cliffside and a couple of late night kebab van kickings with barely a scratch. But cough in moy direction and I am bedridden for a week choking down lemsip and sneezing into enough tissues that anyone going into my bedroom would think I was a chronic masturbator.

---

My last poker trip was last Monday. Headed to the Vic in the afternoon for some cash action with a plan to play at the Luton G in the evening.

Get into the cardroom at about 2:30pm, with £300 and a dream. Check the lists for games running, and there is one table of £1/£1, one table of £1/£2, and a £5/£10. Put my name on the £1/£1 and £1/£2 and decided to just sit whatever got called first.

First person I clap eyes on was Charlie Carrel. The guy is such a sicko. Heard he took a £60K PLO pot at the Vic that week, and won the Sunday $500 on Stars that week also. Not too shabby for a chap who started at the micros in 2013. I hoped that if I rubbed shoulders with him, then I might get a bit of the magic run good dust on me and I would take down some juicy pots. He was on the £5/£10 or something though so no such luck.

Got called for the £1/£2 and was in for £200. Was up some, then down some, then somehow managed to get it in with 88 vs ATo against a loose passive Indian chap and turn a straight after the 567 flop. All in all we made about £50 profit from the 3 hour session at The Vic. When I go to the cage to cash out my meager winnings, some kid who looks like he's not even old enough to be in a cardroom dumps £16,000 in chips on the counter. What a life.

If there's one thing I hate the most, it's the rush hour trains from London to Luton/Bedford. Packed in like sardines, everyone trying to look more important than everyone else in their suits with their ties done up to eleven, looking miserable as fuck on their way back to their two bedroom house in St Albans where they have to deal with their wives and kids until the rat race starts again at 6am. Just looking at them on that train makes me realise that the 9-5 lifestyle is not for me.

---

I get to the Luton G at about 7pm for the £30+£5 comp with a 30k starting stack. I have been vocal about how I feel about these smaller comps that get 20-50 runners having massive starting stacks, but this one seemed to be structured well enough that after the initial 4x30 minute levels everything leveled out nicely.

Managed to dust off the first 30k bullet within 6 minutes. I think it's a record for the most big blinds spewed in the first level.

4 handed table - We have   - blinds 25/50.

UTG opens to 200.
Button Calls.
We 3bet to 700.
UTG folds.
Button 4bets to 3000. - I have history with this player, and I am convinced he thinks I'm just an aggro internet kid who constantly 3to5 bets every hand. Does not like me at all.
We reraise to 7000.
He makes it 12000.
We shove for 32000.
He calls.
He has   .

We turn a diamond sweat but brick it and end up with about 800 left behind which we spin up to about 6k but dust off quickly. It was pretty well played by him, I feel he was anticipating my 3bet so by calling he keeps his range super wide and I just level the arse off myself.

---

I promised Scott I would post a hand we played but I have forgotten it despite me promising not to. Sorry mate, if you remember it stick it in.

---

I have this thing I like to call "Red Light/Green Light". This might make me seem like a nutter who thinks he has magic poker powers - but when something doesn't make sense in a hand, I will get an image of a set of traffic lights with the green light flashing - the more it flashes, the more suspect I feel the play is . I'm not sure if this is something other players experience, but it has served me well over the years in making some really thin hero calls. It's basically my bullshit alarm, and it's got a pretty high success rate.

We open   from the Hijack at 400/800/100. Called from the button.

Flop   .

We bet around 2k, and get snap shoved on for like 18k. On goes the green light.

Villain has been chatting about wanting to "outplay me like I outplayed him" (I think I 3bet shoved the river with T7 for a turned top pair and he folded - another Green Light moment)

I do a little speechplay about how I must have the best hand. I convinced myself I did, and make the call with King High with two cards to come.

He has     for the up and downer.

Binks the   on the turn.

We return the binkage by smacking the   on the river.

Many times we get this in drawing quite thin, but on this occasion we look like a mad poker Uri Geller. Spoons to table one.

---

Blinds are 4000/8000/1000, and Andy Lyew takes position on me. Andy is the player I have the most history with, and the unfortunate honor of losing flips to me all the time. I've got to know him quite well after we got sat next to each other for about 8 comps running in 2013. He knows that I know that he knows that I know and so on...much more fun and I always enjoy our battles.

I have about 100K at this point after losing a 70k all in to a flush draw that turned top pair. Andy opens to 16000 UTG.

I have   in the BB.

I know he is capable of making some possibly too tight laydowns after opening. I also know he is capable of opening extremely light with a shortish stack (we both have about 100k). So I pile the chips in. I regret it almost immediately. I pictured him just tank folding, he's done it to me tons of times.

He snaps my neck with   .

Flop Qxx
Turn 4
River is bullshit because we didn't win.

Andy is my Scooby Doo type nemesis in the sense that we seem to always be tangled up in pots for the sake of playing pots with each other. Jamming 45hh though? I would have gotten away with it....

---

Sat at 50p/£1 cash for a bit, super boring game. Got talked into DC. Lost £100 - most of it in a 6card Omaha hand where we have middle set, King blockers to broadway and the nut flush draw. River is the only king that would make broadway without giving me the nut flush. We check - he pots £55 - we curse our luck and fold.

Total damage for the day -£200.
Train fare back from London because I bought an Off Peak ticket - £14.50.
Cost of Lemsip, Sinex and Strepsils - £8.
Calling King high and being right - PRICELESS.

I know I'm not one to talk about stacking off with AK, but you got played about 1280 bb in the middle with the big drawing hand!

I know it's just a 30 quid fun comp..... Maybe I'm just being a nit
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2015, 08:07:06 PM »

I know I'm not one to talk about stacking off with AK, but you got played about 1280 bb in the middle with the big drawing hand!

I know it's just a 30 quid fun comp..... Maybe I'm just being a nit

Yeah assuming a Luton reg is capable of a 6bet bluff was a tad optimistic!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2015, 08:09:29 AM »

A most entertaining & enjoyable report from Luton, & I especially enjoyed this....

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2015, 07:42:53 PM »

Happy Friday Blonde!

My trip to the WSOP is inching ever closer. As usual my "Do now, ask questions later"  maverick approach to things has made things difficult for me. Three of the girls at work have already put holiday requests in for the same block of June. Part of me feels my plans for world domination, gold bracelets and Dollar Dollar bills are far more important than their trip to Magaluf to drink industrial chemicals passed off as summery cocktails and late night encounters with lads from County Durham called "Gaz",  I blame myself for not snap booking it off. It's a few months away, but we have already downsized our team this past month and there's only one other nightshift guy so it could be problematic.

I think my days are numbered at this job anyway. It's money for old rope, but I sit around doing nothing for 7 hours of an 8 hour shift and it won't be long before they realise they can pay someone to make an iPhone app that does my job for them.

Still the combination of Chinese New Year, half term in England and almost none of these corporate types working Saturdays means I should have a very quiet shift tonight.
---

I will be in Vegas from the 11th-18th of June, and I am set to play the $1500 Monster Stack to start with. The aforementioned maverick approach to planning things without thinking makes me feel my time there would be better spent elsewhere. It's a 5 day event, meaning should I be so fortunate to make the final table, I would have spend almost all of my time there in the Rio in the same comp. If that happened I would cash big enough to stay longer though, and I could leave my boring job.

If I bust day one or day two, it's not that big of a deal as I have plenty of time to go and do other things. If I min cash though, I've effectively spent half my trip in the same comp, and not made enough money to extend the trip at the expense of my job. Bit of a dilemma really. I want the shot at the gold, but I also just want to do Vegas things like play 25cent Video poker, low limit mixed games and walk around Fremont Street taking selfies with dancers while pissed out of my tree.

---

My friends have now cottened on to my poker playing, and are very keen about my Vegas trip. They're clueless enough to think that going to the World Series Of Poker means you are automatically on TV making $100,000 real money bets each hand. My ex-girlfriend was told that I was on EPT on Channel 4 by someone, which never happened but I haven't corrected her. I'd rather let her think I was balling rather than a Luton G punter for now.

Though I have had the following exchange with three people this week. - "So if I gave you £100, could you turn it into £1000 for me in Vegas?" - Trying to explain that they would have better luck sticking it on a split on Roulette is the most tilting thing.

Trying to explain poker to a non poker player is infuriating. For those who understand it, nothing needs to be said. For those who don't, nothing can be said to change their opinion.

---

Haven't had much poker action this week at all. Spent an evening sweating Shane/UGotNuts in his UKPC Mini online and trying offer insight where I could. I expected the play to be more standard as far as online play goes, but it was exactly how a £100 comp would play out live. Lots of limping, 3 people overcalling an open raise etc.

Quite unfortunate not to go into Day 2 Live with a lot of chips, as I feel the table was absurdly soft and full of passive players he had position on, and only a couple of nits behind him. I would have been in for it as well if the new PartyPoker software didn't seem to lock up my laptop everytime the action was on me. Shame really because I would love to punt those satellites.

I have no plans set in stone for any comps now until the summer. I will jump in the occasional one at the G I imagine and I am still about 80% to play an APAT schedule in a couple of weeks. But for now all I am thinking about is Vegas and the fucking Mirage.

We were overdue a Rounders reference.

See you soon!
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »

If I bust day one or day two, it's not that big of a deal as I have plenty of time to go and do other things. If I min cash though, I've effectively spent half my trip in the same comp

I min cashed this last year, was late into day 2.
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »

Evening Blonde, I trust you are all well and dragging in huge pots on the regular.

I have been invited to a pub poker game tonight - I am working at midnight and anyone who's played with me will confirm I like my poker loud and alcohol fueled, it would be a recipe for disaster, but I am going to tag along the next time I am free for it. It'd be nice to just play in a relaxed environment with the focus on having a laugh and not just be out to try and take souls from the unsuspecting.

I used to play in those games when I was hurting for a bankroll when I was living in Cornwall. £5 freezeout and a 10p/10p cash game in the corner away from prying eyes and anyone who might fancy their shot at being a do gooder and reporting it to whatever authority crack down on £20 buy in cash games in shitty Cornish pubs. Trying to squeeze an 11th player onto a table, self dealing with one eye closed for focus after one too many and getting through 6 decks of pound shop paper playing cards. Fold up tables, debates over the difference between a set and trips, and the miserable old nit telling us about the time he played in the Plymouth G Casino as if it was Binion's in the 1980s.

I get a massive pang of nostalgia thinking about it. Every time I start to feel a bit of tilt coming on, I think back to these backward little games and remember poker is supposed to be fun.

--

Not sure if I have mentioned this previously but my first experience of poker was in Belgium. I went on a school trip for my History GCSE to visit sites from the first World War. Ypres, Passchendaele and the like. For a trip that was supposed to boost my knowledge of trench warfare and The Battle of Le Cateau, it was really the start of my poker education.

Me and a couple of friends went on this trip under the guise of smuggling back as many little firecrackers as we could get into our bags. We were willing to endure tours around old battlefields as long as we got half an hour to fill our pockets with small explosives, and if we could get served for beer as well, all the better. We do the touristy things and visit the Last Post at Menin Gate before finding a shop that would sell us both beer and enough munitions to take over Jersey. Also throw a pack of porno playing cards into the mix as well, because we were drawn to boobs like moths to a flame as most 16 year olds are.

Returning to our hotel 200 Euros lighter between the three of us (massive stacks for a 16 year old on £3.25 an hour working as a waiter) we decided to drink our 12 cans of Jupiler, play poker and bet using these firecrackers. I was the only one who knew the rules well enough to get the game flowing. 1 firecracker/2 firecracker blinds, no limit holdem. The big sticks that resembled Dynamite we had counted as 10. I remember ripping a huge overbet shove on the river, and getting a fold. Even back then I was aggro as you like.

I managed to walk out a large winner, if only by default because I knew the hand rankings and the other two lads just went with it. The game was open to much manipulation, but I was the proud owner of about 300 small fireworks. They sat in my wardrobe for over a year until I sold a shoebox full to a kid from the estate for £20, who threw one into the traffic outside school and got expelled.

---

I played on a free to play site called TripleJack for ages around 2006/2007. It's still open, but it's completely void of traffic these days. I put massive volume into it, despite there being no reward other than raising your level and getting little badges next to your avatar for things like making a straight flush or winning a comp. I stayed up all night playing PLO for play money, and then I would go to school/6th form for 7 hours, and then play more in the evenings. I probably averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night for 3 months.

Once I got into 6th Form, EMA was still a thing. If your household income was shit enough, you'd get £30 a week to go to school. Being in the poorest area of Cornwall, we were all on it. And while everyone spent it on fags and alcohol, I made deposits on SkyPoker. £30 a week for a month. £120 and my first proper bankroll. It lasted about 5 days. Jumping into £20NL after playing play money games for a year, to be expected.

That trip to bustoville basically killed my like for poker for a while. I didn't get back into the game until I was 20, with an awful job serving sausage rolls at Cornwall's Seal Sanctuary. Someone told me they were going to a £5 game in the pub, and asked if I wanted to come.

Funny how things come full circle when you least expect it. While I'm not exactly setting the world on fire playing £30-£100 comps at the G with the odd night of 50p/£1 or £1/£2, I'm having fun. Maybe one day someone will ask if I fancy a go in the Monday Madness in Luton for £30 after I get the lot.

---

Massive trip down memory lane, but it puts my poker timeline into a lot of perspective. While there are sick kids going from $5 SnGs to $5000NL in a year, going from playing in a pub in 2010 to the World Series this summer isn't so bad.

VAMOS!
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »

Excellent diary imo ransom.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: