blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:27:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272573 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  9HighLikeABoss
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 9HighLikeABoss  (Read 104710 times)
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 24, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »

So Jan / Feb 2015 another 10 hours of coaching (MTTs).

So not long in, the ISOing comment comes, and i'm thinking to myself, is this going to work haha The first session was perhaps a bit ackward, some silences in between talking, that kinda thing, but what did come across very well was their knowledge of poker and how they viewed poker. At the end of the first session I wasn't sure at all if it was going to work for a further 9 hours. I also realised that it was going to be a lot more difficult than previous sessions with cash, where I could just load up and close tables as was required. I felt the best thing to do was record some footage of playing, which could then be reviewed. The 2nd and remaining sessions went really well. They had a great understanding of poker and also spoke very well about the game. It turned out to be a very good decision again, and was defiantly worth doing. It was close to the end of sessions (if not the last 1) looking at an online MTT the coach  had played, pretty much we agreed on most decisions apart from a couple, where I might have done something slightly different. There was also some cool stuff covered you would never really see on a training site. And again, I found that after a training session my results always seemed to peak in the next couple of days. As with the first time, it was a great experience. Thank you to you!

To me there is a lot more merit in paying for coaching > getting coaching via staking.
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 24, 2015, 08:44:06 PM »

In my opinion if anybody can afford to pay for coaching it is definitely worth it - and i think after a session you always play better

The other thing with coaches - its a bit like football - the best football coaches were/are in the majority no great footballers - it seems some of the best poker coaches are not great at playing the game but have a great knack in teaching others to play well

Good Hunting
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 24, 2015, 09:11:46 PM »

Would you pay for sports betting coaching which will probably make you more money than poker coaching?  If so i would be interested in providing it.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2015, 09:16:16 PM »

The only reason I can ever see for staking being a positive is if there good coaching involved as part of the deal, and even then I can't see it as being a good thing if it's over the super long term.
##

agree for improvement it can be a very good deal. esp in games where you have to battle for a place at your stake. i think this is why it can be good for cash game players.

basically to move up you need to increase your roll. yet if you are grinding your way up then having to withdraw can make that a time consuming task.

if you are playing a format where battling your way to acceptance is important such as cash, husng's, HU cash etc. then the variance that comes with having to play regs in order for them to leave your lobbies / tables / stop hunting you or simply applying bankroll pressure to move you down so they can have the rec action can be a drain on your roll.

when staked the backer simply sends you the bankroll when you want to move up. when downswinging you get topped up and dont need to move down when running bad. you are cushioned from all that variance when battling and not under bankroll pressure.

you can get established that much quicker.

shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2015, 10:25:51 PM »

Would you pay for sports betting coaching which will probably make you more money than poker coaching?  If so i would be interested in providing it.
Nope
In my opinion if anybody can afford to pay for coaching it is definitely worth it - and i think after a session you always play better

The other thing with coaches - its a bit like football - the best football coaches were/are in the majority no great footballers - it seems some of the best poker coaches are not great at playing the game but have a great knack in teaching others to play well

Good Hunting

If they are a poor player they will be a pretty poor coach - there is many offer coaching, who have hardly played any hands this year, a lot of them can't beat the games anymore. Coaching can be valuable, it was great for me, but for the vast majority of players there's so much free information available, or training websites can be a cheap alternative to coaching with videos being current and up to date. The most simple way for a player to improve, and perhaps the best, is to have a group of poker friends to discuss stuff with.

The only reason I can ever see for staking being a positive is if there good coaching involved as part of the deal, and even then I can't see it as being a good thing if it's over the super long term.
##

agree for improvement it can be a very good deal. esp in games where you have to battle for a place at your stake. i think this is why it can be good for cash game players.

basically to move up you need to increase your roll. yet if you are grinding your way up then having to withdraw can make that a time consuming task.

if you are playing a format where battling your way to acceptance is important such as cash, husng's, HU cash etc. then the variance that comes with having to play regs in order for them to leave your lobbies / tables / stop hunting you or simply applying bankroll pressure to move you down so they can have the rec action can be a drain on your roll.

when staked the backer simply sends you the bankroll when you want to move up. when downswinging you get topped up and dont need to move down when running bad. you are cushioned from all that variance when battling and not under bankroll pressure.

you can get established that much quicker.

Teddy my man, how have you been?

Of all the cases of staking I've heard about, yours must be about the most successful I've heard about, and has been going on for a good amount of time now (years).

I'm delighted it's going so well for you and you have benefited from it. I seen your comments in the staking thread about how it was a tight group and everyone gets on really well, that's awesome. Being backed was ideal for your circumstances and what you were looking for, but do you ever see a time when you go it on your own?

From a personal perspective I have no issue with staking, I just don't necessarily think it is good for the poker economy and longevity of online poker.

I would imagine a good % of HU Sit and Go players will be staked, and with the knowledge derived as part of the staking will have exponentially advanced the gap between "regs" and normal players. WIth Hu games there is of course an issue with technology aswell, increasing the "regs" egde, I just think anything that can be done to halt that advance and keep poker fun for normal players should be encouraged.   

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 25, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »

hey, kev. yah doing well and enjoying poker and life!

i agree that poor players will wont be great coaches, but 100% agree that the best coaches arent necessarily the best players and vice versa.

it takes a lot of commitment and very particular mental skill / mindset to reach the top of any format / multitable like a boss and crush games. a lot of the very best coaches lack either the commitment to reach the top or some of the mental skills to do so. i mean the best coaches can charge at least $300 p/h and that is varianc-free money on a nice timetable that doesnt involve having to stay upto 3am to hit the grindtime of that mega-whale you spotted last week. nor does it involve the mental stress of bankroll variance / having to battle for your spot at the top.

there are people who have great agile poker minds, can solve situations, use software to build strategies and are completely ace at breaking down these complex ideas for you to undertand. teaching is a skill in itself.

there are people that think that all forms of coaching are bad for the ecology. and i can see that argument. it certainly increases the number of good players in the player-pool. but from a selfish point of view peeling back the layers of poker only makes it more intriguing, and i'm glad there was resources out there to spike that interest. i dont know if i would have been as passionate about poker if knowledge was locked up by the few.

as for me going it alone. i dont want to be a pro. i work full time and love playing in my spare time.  love playing and learning, and so beign backed is perfect for me. no $$ risk and i get to play nice stakes and compete with professionals. wouldnt have it any other way.

shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 26, 2015, 01:52:16 AM »

nice post Sir!

It's been interesting the debate / chat on staking.
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 26, 2015, 11:58:28 AM »

Quick update, 2015 has been really good for poker.

The highlight of the year was winning a decent number of MTTs, 3-4 per month, and also playing live cash over the summer.

One regret, perhaps, is making to many withdrawals, and not moving up the cash levels. It's like you're in your comfort zone and go for the low variance route.

Looking forward to 2016, some stuff I would like to achieve:

-Reduce the amount of withdrawals and build up a 50 bi bankroll for 1/2 live cash.
-Increase the average bi for MTTs by a decent % and maintain a ~35-40% ROI
-Over the summer months grind live cash most weekends.
-Do more studying/work on my game outside of just playing, I've defo not done enough of that this year.

From a £ perspective
- On average make £1k per month from MTTs
-Increase this years (online) cash profit by ~10%
-Crush live over the summer.

It's been fun Smiley You always know it's Christmas time coming up when they start playing this song on the radio, have a good one!

Lambert180

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 15, 2015, 08:29:11 PM »

Just caught up on the last 2-3 pages of the diary that happened since I last popped in. Some very interesting topics/debates, always a good read in here.

How's things been going since your last update? Gonna be having another stab at the upcoming UKOPS? I know it's supposed to be a great time to play poker (December) and UKOPS is always good, but it's usually the one time I give it all a miss... spending time with family at xmas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> making a bit of extra at poker imo.

You gonna try any satellites for UKPC? I know it's a stretch for you to come a long way for the smaller events but £1k is a pretty chunky one (if you can get in cheap)
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 18, 2015, 01:55:01 AM »

Hey Paul

Well done on gaining your ukpc seat on Sunday, I was delighted for you.

And the other fts you made that night, hopefully the momentum
Keeps going for you.

I won't be playing the ukpc, when you factor in travel costs, hotels, food it's really not worth it for me.

I'm going to be playing a lot more live next year from May onwards, but it'll mostly be cash. The only live mtt I might play is a unibet 1 being held in Glasgow.

I'll be playing some of the ukops games, but it's mostly cash Ive been
Playing this month and that'll be the priority over ukops games.

It's been a cracking month so far, long may it continue!

shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 01, 2016, 02:49:38 PM »

Hey hey

Happy new year all, and so it starts again!

Looking forward to a great year.

Also going to be getting a dog in the next week or so. There is a couple of local dogs trust/ RSPCA places close by was having a look on gumtree too.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 29, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »

So, how was your day today?

Anything interesting happen?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 29, 2016, 12:41:28 PM »

So, how was your day today?

Anything interesting happen?

He told us on skype but we assumed he was telling porkies!
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 29, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »

OBV rigged! 

Well done mate....nice one.

Life has no rebuy options
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 01, 2016, 05:59:16 PM »

I moved house just before Christmas, it was such a hectic time, and certainly didn't feel like Christmas at all!

Had been looking for well over a year seeing loads of different places, but nothing really stood out.

Then about September, went to view this house which was amazing.

I negotiated with the seller there and then and we  shook hands on a  deal; job done, new house purchased.

All done at the first viewing!

Still not got a dog yet, been to a couple of dog rescue centres. A lot of the time they are looking for "experienced" dog owners, but still feel it would be better to get it from an RSPCA type place> buying from a breeder, the search will go on.

In the online poker world, I'm seriously considering dropping cash to concentrate on MTT's. I'm finding tournaments a lot more enjoyable right now.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: