blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:49:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Paris horror attack
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paris horror attack  (Read 52002 times)
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: November 16, 2015, 10:31:02 AM »

Nick Wealthall posted this link on Twitter, which makes for very interesting (if very long) background reading on ISIS. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

Does anyone else have any other links as while I'm sure the above is a very good account I doubt it's going to be totally accurate based as it is on one man's interpretation of some fairly dodgy primary sources.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: November 16, 2015, 10:44:57 AM »

Nick Wealthall posted this link on Twitter, which makes for very interesting (if very long) background reading on ISIS. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

I defy anyone not to read that URL and immediately think of the Spice Girls.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 16, 2015, 01:13:46 PM »

I defy anyone not to read that URL and immediately think of the Spice Girls.

I read without any thought of them. Manage to get through most days that way too.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: November 16, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »

Sigh...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34835353

The older I get, the better I was.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 16, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »

Being devils advocate now but why sigh Tom? If it is proved that IS members are being allowed in to a country as refugees surely the right thing to do is stop it until a robust method of vetting is in place.

Ah! The element of surprise
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 16, 2015, 06:24:58 PM »

Paris attacks: 'France will destroy IS' - Hollande

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34836439
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 16, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/
Long but eye opening article about Isis.
Apparently their true motives are nothing like i imagined and I'm not sure if the reality is better or worse.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 16, 2015, 06:30:41 PM »

Being devils advocate now but why sigh Tom? If it is proved that IS members are being allowed in to a country as refugees surely the right thing to do is stop it until a robust method of vetting is in place.

Isn't that playing into the hands of IS? Stopping people from escaping the horrors.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 16, 2015, 06:34:45 PM »

Isn't that playing into the hands of IS? Stopping people from escaping the horrors.

I thought they were more concerned about causing harm to the West.

Ah! The element of surprise
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 16, 2015, 08:41:59 PM »

When you have wolves In sheeps clothing, you don't punish the real sheep Smiley
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 16, 2015, 09:00:56 PM »

When you have wolves In sheeps clothing, you don't punish the real sheep Smiley

Investigatory Powers Bill...?

scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 16, 2015, 09:13:52 PM »

I probably heard about 20 different guys saying these kind of misguided comments at the tables in the US about this.  All seemed to believe that bile that Trump had been saying about an army of 200,000 ISIS soldiers that will soon be arriving.

Can only imagine what the kind of political discussion is like now in poker rooms that border the bible belt states.
Ricardov83

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 16, 2015, 09:19:13 PM »

My understanding is that IS wish to establish a Caliphate which is a region governed by Shariah law. That's what they are doing in Syria and Iraq. Al Qaeda's MO included destroying the west.  That's one of the main differences between the organisations.

The attacks in Paris were retaliation for air strikes on their caliphate.  Not as a result of their hatred for the west.

Happy to have that corrected by someone more knowledgeable.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 16, 2015, 09:43:39 PM »

My understanding is that IS wish to establish a Caliphate which is a region governed by Shariah law. That's what they are doing in Syria and Iraq. Al Qaeda's MO included destroying the west.  That's one of the main differences between the organisations.

The attacks in Paris were retaliation for air strikes on their caliphate.  Not as a result of their hatred for the west.

"Exempted from automatic execution, it appears, are Christians who do not resist their new government. Baghdadi permits them to live, as long as they pay a special tax, known as the jizya, and acknowledge their subjugation. The Koranic authority for this practice is not in dispute."
(http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/)

Accepting any man made law above the law of the Koran is worthy of a death sentence so I think your wrong, although the quote above does exempt some people.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Ricardov83

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 16, 2015, 10:04:23 PM »

"Exempted from automatic execution, it appears, are Christians who do not resist their new government. Baghdadi permits them to live, as long as they pay a special tax, known as the jizya, and acknowledge their subjugation. The Koranic authority for this practice is not in dispute."
(http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/)

Accepting any man made law above the law of the Koran is worthy of a death sentence so I think your wrong, although the quote above does exempt some people.

Their motivation isn't the hatred of the western world though. It's their unwavering belief in the fundamentals of Islam. The western world don't share this belief therefore are wrong'uns along with a huge number of non-extremist Muslims and followers of most other religions.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: