blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:51:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Changes in nottingham
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changes in nottingham  (Read 11842 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2005, 04:34:38 AM »

That is BIZARRE!

It's almost universal now, no smoking at the table, quite right too. (Yup, tikay gonna have to curb his smoking....).

Statistically, they upset 1 player in 10 by banning it, & please 9 in 10.

OUR SURVEY SAID - UH-UH
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 04:59:10 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2005, 04:45:34 AM »

It is bizarre in that the cardroom has only been open a few weeks, maybe they polled the members?
I personally smoke and i hate being told when and where i can, but............i also hate it when people blow smoke my way. I mean HATE it, so a ban is no problem for me. It's the principle of it that annoys me not the actuality (i could be a lawyer  Grin)
Any old road up, walsall disallow it and i'm happy with that, though if you sit near the cardroom entry everyone leaves their lit fags in ashtrays there and dash back and forwards to see their cards leaving the smoke to drift into the room!!
Ian

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2005, 05:00:25 AM »

Well that has to be the daftest thing I ever heard. You can smoke at the table if you stand up?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Yogi-Bear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2005, 05:40:17 AM »

Must be a Stanley thing.  HEHEHEHE

I really wanna bitch but i'm holding it in. STOP TYPING NOW>............................................................

Yogi
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2005, 11:34:55 AM »

Good to hear about the tenner no limit event on a tuesday, I will certainly be supporting that. It will be interesting to see how some of our rebuy maniacs play when they can shove all their chips in at once. Bagsy not at Paul's table.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2005, 12:48:19 PM »

At the risk of muddying the water here, whilst I am 100% in favour of lower buy-in comps at Notts, & have argued for it, a 10 NL rebuy does give me concerns IF not structured properly. Many deep-pocketed folks will just go all-in evey hand, which will spoil it for the genuine guys who can only afford one or two. Though the counter argument would be, "fine, this will benefit the more astute players, who will bide their time, & increase the prize pool.

I wonder how Walsall deal with this "problem"? - feedback please.

Maybe limit the rebuys to, say, 3, with a rebuy & add-on option at the freeze. But that's hassly to manage. In limited rebuy comps, tickets are issued which you use when the rebuys occur. I can see them being pased around by those not needing them, & all sorts of ensuing chaos.

ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2005, 01:29:09 PM »

It's just part of the game Tikay, you need the rebuy merchants to increase the prize pool and in turn this attracts the players.
The better players will go either way, try to get lucky or pick your spot.
I think most feel it's just the way it has to be and as such are used/prepared for it, but maybe it is a little different elsewhere cuz at Walsall the overall standard of play is very high (didn't realise till i went somewhere else) and you don't see it too much, maybe a couple of folks do it but mostly you get callers in late position purely for pot odds and once the rebuys end the game VASTLY changes.
Though the Friday night 5 chip throwing contest is an experience in itself, 500,000 chips in play last night with 119 runners!!
Danni will tell ya, they've done a lot of experimenting with buyins/rebuys etc. at walsall and the truth is you introduce freezeouts and you lose players, whether it's because of the lower prize funds or the 'one chance only' part of it i don't know.
Ian

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2005, 01:37:40 PM »

Smoking @ notts has never really bothered me that much until last night when I left with stinging eyes due to the smoke. Does make you wonder why you bother sometimes.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
The Truth

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2005, 01:44:37 PM »

Tikay makes a point about limiting rebuys in order to have tournaments for those with limited bankrolls. Afew years ago when Russell Square still had it's cardroom the most popular night was the 10 maximum 3 rebuy and a top up night. 100 runners pre poker boom. Maximum 40 liability. Whilst I know it will not suit some, many of the players I remember from those games are now playing some pretty heavy duty games and many more are still playing regularly at the Gutshot. My two penneth - oh that and introduce limit cash games.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2005, 01:46:05 PM »

Thanks for the feedback from Walsall Ian.

Bongo. It's astonishing, I must say. We had the poll - 90% in favour of a ban, but it's not moved forward yet. We will keep nagging, don't worry, & it will happen. If 90% of my clients wanted something, I'd find it hard to ignore, as would most. But you guys CAN help by continuing to lobby for it. The dam will burst eventually.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2005, 01:47:54 PM »

Good to hear about the tenner no limit event on a tuesday, I will certainly be supporting that. It will be interesting to see how some of our rebuy maniacs play when they can shove all their chips in at once. Bagsy not at Paul's table.

I hope I'm at Paul's table every time I go.  Smiley

For the extra chips and the entertainment value.  Wink
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2005, 01:48:37 PM »

the point is we have plenty of rebuy games. I am a big fan of playing super tight in these games and Tikay is well aware I've finalled on several occassions for only 20 in a 20 rebuy game, giving me a huge profit with a win compared to the looser players. What we're after is a lowish buy in freezeout. I like rebuy games and I like PL but I also want a NL freezeout game and that's what I'll be lobbying for at Gala
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 01:55:37 PM by AdamM » Logged
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2005, 01:49:56 PM »

and as to smoking, didn't they finalise the legislation yesterday. It's not going to be optional soon.
Roll on non-smoking card rooms.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 01:54:11 PM by AdamM » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2005, 01:51:25 PM »

At the risk of muddying the water here, whilst I am 100% in favour of lower buy-in comps at Notts, & have argued for it, a 10 NL rebuy does give me concerns IF not structured properly. Many deep-pocketed folks will just go all-in evey hand, which will spoil it for the genuine guys who can only afford one or two. Though the counter argument would be, "fine, this will benefit the more astute players, who will bide their time, & increase the prize pool.

I wonder how Walsall deal with this "problem"? - feedback please.

Maybe limit the rebuys to, say, 3, with a rebuy & add-on option at the freeze. But that's hassly to manage. In limited rebuy comps, tickets are issued which you use when the rebuys occur. I can see them being pased around by those not needing them, & all sorts of ensuing chaos.

Walsall has a rookie comp on Saturday afternoons Tony. 1 buy-in I believe.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2005, 01:52:16 PM »

saturday afternoon comp, that's tempting. more details please?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: