blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  R.I.P David "Devilfish" Ulliott 1954-2015
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P David "Devilfish" Ulliott 1954-2015  (Read 30310 times)
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2015, 09:30:28 PM »

Poker players owe you Devilfish.

Miss you very much.

Bandit.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2015, 11:28:02 PM »

Some of this is bang out of order IMO.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/dave-ulliott-card-player-known-as-the-devilfish-who-emerged-from-a-life-of-crime-to-win-millions-at-the-poker-table-10160843.html

Disappointed in Des Wilson to be honest.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2015, 11:37:41 PM »

Yea, without knowing all the facts it did come across as a very blunt, assumptive article.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2015, 08:12:24 AM »

The Des Wilson piece looks mean spirited at best.

This is a little better
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11520059/Dave-Ulliott-poker-champion-obituary.html

Who'd have thought that Dave Ulliott would get obituaries in the broadsheets though? I bet he'd be laughing his head off at the idea.
I suspect he'd have preferred to be mentioned in the NME though.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2015, 08:34:12 AM »

The Des Wilson piece looks mean spirited at best.

This is a little better
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11520059/Dave-Ulliott-poker-champion-obituary.html

Who'd have thought that Dave Ulliott would get obituaries in the broadsheets though? I bet he'd be laughing his head off at the idea.
I suspect he'd have preferred to be mentioned in the NME though.

The Devilfish Obit in The Times was, far & away, the most balanced of them all, imo. Unforch, I can't link to it, as it is behind a paywall.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »

Yea, without knowing all the facts it did come across as a very blunt, assumptive article.

For balance, Des Wilson (who, I have to add, is a friend of mine) has written two books about Devilfish, so he knows him better than many of us do.

Des is also a quite remarkable man, one of the most remarkable people ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Wilson

Some of it did seem a bit mean, I agree. We should always try to be respectful to those who have passed away, especially if before their time, or had a family, both of which apply here.

Some of what Des wrote was simply untrue, but I doubt he did it for any other reason than try & provide a fair & balanced Obit. Dave was not an angel, & would not like to be so described. He was a great, great, poker player though, & he, unintentionally, very much helped advance the cause of poker in in these parts.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:55:23 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »

It's always interesting reading how heroic a Squadron Leader was, without a whiff of a question being asked of the morality.

Though he did not enjoy the business of killing, he recalled: “You had to. And because of the way the Japanese treated our people, I was really kind of glad to do it.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11479786/Squadron-Leader-Bob-Johnson-Hurricane-pilot-obituary.html

The Devilfish obituary is closer to that of Ronnie Biggs:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10524589/Ronnie-Biggs-Obituary.html

No obituary of the Devilfish should paint him as a saint or a great nobleman. But he was to a lot of people a symbol of aspiration within a legitimising game. He was the embodiment of the sexy, seedy side of poker; the smoky, back room of a snooker hall, with bald headed men in suits and full length coats minding the door. The bad boy going straight, but careful how you get your money, son, cos shouting your mouth off is a bad idea.

There's an odd allure to the smalltime gangster image in poker and - and this is the twisted romantic in me - the game is better for it. What a terrible film The Cincinnati Kid would be if Clancy didn't have that power? Matt Damon had to face off against Teddy KGB; not Teddy Tiltsischipsov.

I first saw him on Late Night Poker and, to be quite honest, he was the only one I remember from that first episode I saw. I was hooked.

I never had the chance to meet him but the beauty of these characters in poker is that they have given far more to the game than all the money they've taken out of it.

RIP

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »

Agree with Tal Bloke.

One thing I ought to add, in case someone wants to twist my words.

I've never seen Devilfish pull any strokes or angle shoots at the poker table, & as far as I know, he never failed to pay his poker debts. He was a proper bloke at the poker table, even though he liked a moan when he ran bad.

I've seen kids on blonde who are wet behind the ears boast about angle shooting & pulling strokes at the Table, because they want to win at any cost. Dave won & lost properly.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »

Some of what Des wrote was simply untrue, but I doubt he did it for any other reason than try & provide a fair & balanced Obit.

How can you write untruths and say it's to be fair and balanced?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »

Some of what Des wrote was simply untrue, but I doubt he did it for any other reason than try & provide a fair & balanced Obit.

How can you write untruths and say it's to be fair and balanced?

Factual errors & "untruths" are different.

Stories sort of get embellished over time.

I'd bet good money that Des intended it to be fair & balanced. Whether he achieved that, of course, is another matter.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2015, 10:43:23 AM »

I've met Des on a few occasions and had dinner with him once in the company of Tom and Lucy at The Vic when he was researching the first Devilfish book.

He spilled a full glass of wine all over me too!

I also met him during a tourney in Torquay and discovered that he is good mates with Nic Szeremeta,  but I did find that despite his huge intellect and many achievements, he gave me the impression of being a bit of a snob and I think that is what comes rather gratingly across in that obituary.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:04:33 AM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2015, 12:46:36 PM »

I'd simply elect not to write an Obit, rather than submit THAT.

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2015, 01:36:34 PM »

I think personally attacking the deceased is neither warranted or correct in an obituary..

Des has gone down in my opinion i'm afraid..

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »

Very sad indeed that Dave has passed away. Its been said before, but he did do more than anyone else in the UK to popularise the game and will be sorely missed.

From a personal perspective, its also very close to home for me, as I have just recently spent some time in hospital, having been diagnosed with chronic bowel disease, although my biopsy results for colon cancer were thankfully OK.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2015, 03:43:34 PM »

The paragraph about fame going to his head is totally out of order, wreaks of snobbishness and bitterness. Des got a book out of the Devilfish, why be so mean spirited for the sake of it?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: