blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:32:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2191085 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2015, 07:14:48 PM »

The thing which is so refreshing about Jeremy Corbyn is he an honest man who says what he believes, not what his spin doctors think he should say.

This.

Mr Camel also wrote something on GE thread about voting for what you believed the country/populace needed ahead of personal want. And I believe this is pertinent here too.  Its important that the non sanitised voice can be heard in British politics rather then the continued arguments over which shade of grey is best.
JC wining will do more good for.politics long term then the short term gain of the Labour party in my opinion.

Your damn right he will do good for politics. Labour won't have a sniff at the next GE if he is in, that is awesome for UK politics! 
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2015, 07:21:51 PM »

The thing which is so refreshing about Jeremy Corbyn is he an honest man who says what he believes, not what his spin doctors think he should say.

This

The funny thing is, I actually pretty much disagree with everything he stands for, but honesty is none existant in politics, so I still like him more than 99% of his peers. Even though I don't want him running the country, I do want him challenging the opposition and also, hopefully, calling out all the political bullshit, especially in the media.

In a way I also like Donald Trump for the same reason, though I am much more fearful he will not only get in to the seat of power, but also nuke the first country to make fun of his hair.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2015, 07:30:18 PM »

This

The funny thing is, I actually pretty much disagree with everything he stands for, but honesty is none existant in politics, so I still like him more than 99% of his peers. Even though I don't want him running the country, I do want him challenging the opposition and also, hopefully, calling out all the political bullshit, especially in the media.

In a way I also like Donald Trump for the same reason, though I am much more fearful he will not only get in to the seat of power, but also nuke the first country to make fun of his hair.

Throw Boris into the equation at the next election too and it could get lively!!
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2015, 07:44:01 PM »

I think Corbyn being elected will be a disaster for Labour long-term, and will certainly make them unelectable in 2020.  It has the potential to be another Michael Foot scale defeat.

The election proved that shifting to the Left made Labour less-electable, rather than more so.  In response, the party looks like it will be taking another massive leap further left and the response to correct this won't begin to take place until after 2020.  It's not those close to politics that are the problem in this.  It's the floating voters who will be fed a constant stream of headlines from the largely right-wing media convincing them that it's 1983 all over again.

Labour needs a leader who can unify the core support and attract the so-called 'shy Tories'.  Corbyn won't do the first, so has no chance of achieving the second one.  The candidates I see as capable of doing this, such as Dan Jarvis or Chukka Umunna aren't standing for leadership anyway.

In the meantime, no matter how badly the Tories perform in Government, they can sit safe in the knowledge that the opposition will be in-fighting over this for the next few years.  It's the equivalent of the long-standing Tory splits over Europe, and I despair at the consequences.  However, it feels inevitable that it's going to happen now, so it's just a case of watching the train-wreck from here on in.

Tory supporters will be rubbing their hands with glee.  Having started 2015 looking at the prospect of a likely hung Parliament, they're going to end it in the knowledge that they've effectively won two General Elections this year.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2015, 08:13:52 PM »

and corbyn's view that the falklands should be argentinian?

no comment about his geopolitical views either i note Keith.

I think the Falklands should be an independent state.

Falkland Islanders want to remain a British Overseas territory

and his views on hamas/hezbollah, meeting holocaust deniers, promoting a united ireland, describing bin laden's death as a "tragedy"?

Margaret Thatcher spent many Christmases in the company of Jimmy Savile, does that make her a paedo or paedo sympathiser?

Talking with someone does not equal agreeing with them.

The Bin Laden quote was a very silly thing of Corbyn to say.

The Bin Laden quote is one that actually sounds worse when you put in context.  

Mrs Thatcher knew Saville was a paedophile?  I also think there is a difference between talking to someone and sharing a platform too.

Corbyn is a pacifist who is vehmently against the death penalty.

I didn't shed a tear over Bin Laden being killed, but I think capturing him would definitely have been preferable.

I understand what he meant, but he said it in incredibly clumsy way.  I am anti death penalty, but I would never equate the killing of Bin Laden with the war in Iraq or 9/11. 

In a clip from the Press TV show the Agenda, Corbyn is heard complaining that there had been “no attempt whatsoever that I can see to arrest him and put him on trial, to go through that process”. He went on: “This was an assassination attempt, and is yet another tragedy, upon a tragedy, upon a tragedy.

“The World Trade Center was a tragedy, the attack on Afghanistan was a tragedy, the war in Iraq was a tragedy.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2015, 02:57:06 PM »

Ladbrokes

cooper's speech yesterday saw her go from 10/1 to 5/1 and above Burnham

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »

ok a vox pop then

Corbyn wins as an "anti-politics" "anti-blairite" candidate, attracting not only the traditional left wing but new labour party sign ups from previous non voters,   

is he electable in a general election?

yes/no

do his views on hamas/hezbollah/jews/america/isis/bin laden matter to you?

are his economic views credible?

You should really be posting on here: https://twitter.com/hashtag/suggestacorbynsmear?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2015, 12:09:08 PM »

BBC say sources confirm Corbyn has won
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »

Congrats to the Tories on winning the 2020 election
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »

Congrats to the Tories on winning the 2020 election

Electoral suicide.

The Tories must be celebrating.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »

OMFG, I am literally choking with laughter. Do these idiots want to get elected or not?

That's 10 years of conservative rule sorted anyway 
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »

Just heard a funny line, Labour now run by Tom and Jerry :-)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »

A lot of people said Corbin was unelectable.

Now a lot of people are saying that Corbin will make Labour unelectable.

The older I get, the better I was.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »

Proper old school left v right politics now.  Not another right wing party pretending to be left like the labour party of the last 20 years.  Looking forward to it.  This is how politics should be.  Clear divides and choices for people.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2015, 02:02:45 PM »

Didn't think the delivery of his speech was very rousing. Interesting to see how he does in the chamber. Still think he won't last more than 2 years

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: