blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:15:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 848 849 850 851 [852] 853 854 855 856 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2198318 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12765 on: May 20, 2018, 07:54:27 AM »

Are the hard realities of the Irish border issue beginning to drive the debate in the direction of common sense?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-week-theresa-may-picked-a-side-on-brexit-bgb0zr66f

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12766 on: May 20, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »

gets to the heart of how May’s Custom Union/backstop play poses real dilemmas for Dublin and the EU.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/0518/964505-tony-connelly-brexit/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12767 on: May 20, 2018, 07:56:17 AM »

Theresa May is boiling Brexiteer frogs

the water is getting hotter and none of them has jumped out of the pan

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-boris-johnson-soft-brexit-customs-a8359371.html

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12768 on: May 23, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »

Is Tony Blair right to say that Corbyn has been left with “the worst of all worlds” on Brexit?

on Labour's Brexit stance and a possible early election:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2018/05/should-jeremy-corbyn-back-second-eu-referendum-final-terms-brexit

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12769 on: May 23, 2018, 09:35:48 AM »

Editorial: Theresa May is being driven inexorably towards a medium-soft Brexit

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/brexit-backstop-customs-union-theresa-may-irish-border-a8363986.html

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12770 on: May 23, 2018, 09:36:24 AM »

EU rejects May's time limit on "backstop" alignment of UK with EU trade after 2020:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-northern-ireland-border-customs-backstop-time-limited-theresa-may-eu-michel-barnier-a8363996.html

My eyes are open wide
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #12771 on: May 23, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »

Is Tony Blair right to say that Corbyn has been left with “the worst of all worlds” on Brexit?

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2018/05/should-jeremy-corbyn-back-second-eu-referendum-final-terms-brexit

This is the same Tony Blair who told us there was no doubt that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction ,  that Gaddafi suddenly became a great guy etc etc etc.

I despise most of the fake news about Brexit but have a special place reserved for people.like Blair. Literally impossible to attribute integrity to anything he says.

sola virtus nobilitat
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #12772 on: May 23, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »

Immigration Minister Caroline Nokes may have been a rising star but her limitations were spectacularly exposed yesterday when she came in front of the Northern Ireland Committee completely unprepared, spoke some nonsense and revealed that she is left out of the loop by other Ministers and her own officials. She hadn't even read two important documents she quoted. It was embarrassing watching her squirming and hesitating, sometimes with eyes closed, as she struggled to get her thoughts together. I think she may have reached her level of incompetence - this may be the end of a promising career.

Humiliation 1: Hasn't read the Good Friday Agreement.
She said it was crucially important that the government upheld the Belfast Agreement.
Committee Member Sylvia Hermon: I'll just ask you if you've read the Belfast Agreement.
CN: Not in its entirety, no.
SH: So it is crucially important to the British Government to upheld the Belfast Agreement but you, as the Immigration Minister, looking at passports, looking at the issue that we were asking for evidence and inviting evidence this afternoon, did not think it fit to actually read the Belfast Agreement in its entirety.
CN: I haven't read the whole document, no.
SH: Have you ever read it in the twenty years since we marked its anniversary this year?
CN: No I haven't..........

Humiliation 2: Not in the Loop.
SH: The Secretary of State for NI has not actually spoken to you about this? [Military Service in NI]
CN: No, I don't believe so.
SH: That is absolutely astonishing.
Committee Member Kate Hoey: This is amazing. I find it quite shocking actually.

Humiliation 3: Hasn't read another document she referred to. Also doesn't know what her officials are doing.
CN: I think we have to respect the Equalities Commission on this.
KH: Have you read the Equalities Commission submission?
CN: No.
Chairman: I think, Minister, you really must read this....I would expect a report of this sort to be considered by the Minister making the decision ultimately, so that she can make an informed determination.
CN:  This is not a Ministerial decision.
Chairman: Minister, you are in charge of your Department. You need to know this stuff.
CN:  Absolutely, but you just said before a Minister made the decision. This was not a Ministerial decision.
Chairman: If your officials are doing this kind of thing without your knowledge, I would suggest you go back to officials and ask the basis on which they are making their decision.

Humiliation 4: She thought Revenue checks for red diesel along the Northern Ireland border would be comparable with those in Hampshire.
Committee Member Ian Paisley: With over £15 million stolen from the Treasury last year in Northern Ireland on diesel alone, I would be alarmed if it wasn't daily. [referring to the Revenue checks]
CN: I was merely reflecting upon the checks you might see on the M27 motorway in my own constituency and I think I've seen a red diesel check along there once since I could drive.
IP: Yes. I'm talking about on our border though - Newry, Armagh, Donegal. That border.

Humiliation 5: Immigration Minister hasn't been to the UK's only land border.
KH: It's not just red diesel. It's the fact that oil is a different price, so they are stopped quite regularly, cos there is smuggling going on. You must have seen....You haven't visited the Border yet?
CN: No I haven't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b49sbw/tuesday-in-parliament-22052018                11.34 - 16.15
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #12773 on: May 23, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »

This is the same Tony Blair who told us there was no doubt that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction ,  that Gaddafi suddenly became a great guy etc etc etc.

I despise most of the fake news about Brexit but have a special place reserved for people.like Blair. Literally impossible to attribute integrity to anything he says.

Maybe, but the "boy who cried wolf" was actually right eventually.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #12774 on: May 23, 2018, 08:34:46 PM »

Maybe but I'm pretty confident that Brexit (or not for that matter) is pretty academic in a directional sense to the way the world, led by corporations are taking us. People like Tony Blair are arch examples of the corporatism of politics these days. I'm pretty happy to align myself against that from an intellectual perspective.

I don't know what motivates people like him to go all Lord Haw Haw on a matter like this but I do have plenty of evidence that much of what he did has led to the casual slaughter and ongoing misery of millions worldwide. So sometimes, I find it better to not consider the motivation and just look at the results and determine that the result must have been what they set out to do and so when they stand in one place, I'll stand in another (pretty hard to do on everything, ever I grant you).

That he has any voice in the world is incredible to me and the only comfort I find is the knowledge that all the negative articles around Brexit, all the fear mongering etc is only read by people who listen and read within that bubble - this is why there is no popular groundswell to oppose Brexit - most people aren't listening and have moved on.

I really am starting to get concerned about what horrors may occur as the next steps in the continuing dread campaign against Brexit - HMRC had a good go today but not yet been able to discern if this was an anti brexit message or more about persuading Tories to one view or another on customs arrangements.

Whole dang thing is a farce, nearly as farcical as pretending everything is OK as long as we are in the EU.

sola virtus nobilitat
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #12775 on: May 23, 2018, 09:11:01 PM »

Maybe but I'm pretty confident that Brexit (or not for that matter) is pretty academic in a directional sense to the way the world, led by corporations are taking us. People like Tony Blair are arch examples of the corporatism of politics these days. I'm pretty happy to align myself against that from an intellectual perspective.

I don't know what motivates people like him to go all Lord Haw Haw on a matter like this but I do have plenty of evidence that much of what he did has led to the casual slaughter and ongoing misery of millions worldwide. So sometimes, I find it better to not consider the motivation and just look at the results and determine that the result must have been what they set out to do and so when they stand in one place, I'll stand in another (pretty hard to do on everything, ever I grant you).

That he has any voice in the world is incredible to me and the only comfort I find is the knowledge that all the negative articles around Brexit, all the fear mongering etc is only read by people who listen and read within that bubble - this is why there is no popular groundswell to oppose Brexit - most people aren't listening and have moved on.

I really am starting to get concerned about what horrors may occur as the next steps in the continuing dread campaign against Brexit - HMRC had a good go today but not yet been able to discern if this was an anti brexit message or more about persuading Tories to one view or another on customs arrangements.

Whole dang thing is a farce, nearly as farcical as pretending everything is OK as long as we are in the EU.

Good post. Only time will tell if the forecasts, usually made by the establishment are right.

I have a feeling that the extremely negative forecasts will be way off the mark.

Don’t get me started on Blair.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12776 on: May 23, 2018, 09:18:17 PM »

For Corbyn to call the departure of Ken Livingstone “sad” was badly judged, says

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/05/why-jeremy-corbyn-s-sadness-about-ken-livingstone-s-departure-was-ill-judged

A sharply worded statement – the words “door”, “hit you” and “way out” might have featured – would have helped heal the breach between Labour and the Jewish community.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12777 on: May 23, 2018, 09:19:17 PM »

How Nicky Morgan summed up the HMRC evidence on Brexit and customs -

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/may/23/pmqs-theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn-gove-ministers-accused-of-putting-country-in-jeopardy-through-cabinet-infighting-politics-live?page=with:block-5b057a68e4b05aef3eee9165#block-5b057a68e4b05aef3eee9165

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12778 on: May 23, 2018, 09:20:51 PM »

How did this max fac proposal for customs ever get anywhere near a cabinet sub-committee if it would cost £20bn a year?  Just makes UK look a negotiating laughing stock.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-uk-eu-customs-model-cost-business-trade-hmrc-jon-thompson-max-fac-20-billion-a8365576.html

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12779 on: May 23, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »

“so many propositions currently on the table from both the ex-Remainer and the ex-Leaver camps, to put it bluntly, delusional”

https://policyscotland.gla.ac.uk/blog-sir-ivan-rogers-speech-text-in-full/

- if you want to understand the state of Brexit and the UK debate, this by Ivan Rogers is the only thing you need to read

really very very good whichever side you come from

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 850 851 [852] 853 854 855 856 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: