blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 10:45:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2229495 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: January 07, 2016, 05:20:35 PM »

Leaving aside Corbyn, I think Cameron is getting worse at PMQs.  Might be complacency but this week like he had pre-prepared gags to stick to Corbyn and it came across badly and wooden in my opinion.

Corbyn stuck it to him on flood defence. a shame for him that its lost in all the drama swirling around on labour

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1561 on: January 07, 2016, 05:37:30 PM »

Leaving aside Corbyn, I think Cameron is getting worse at PMQs.  Might be complacency but this week like he had pre-prepared gags to stick to Corbyn and it came across badly and wooden in my opinion.

I have got the impression that Cameron has been phoning it in a bit the last few months, he even looks half asleep, slouches more and seems scruffier. Whatever you think of his politics he has always held court pretty well in that regard, doesn't seem as sharp of late. 
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: January 07, 2016, 05:39:53 PM »

People in this thread are conflating separate issues. I am objecting to Corbyn being painted as a terrorist sympathiser. Whether he can or will win a general election is a totally separate matter. You can say that one leads to the other to some extent, but that is not what I have been posting about.

I understand what you are saying, he hasn't helped himself though, has he?

There are definitely linked - no trust means no votes. Terrorism is a highly emotive topic. Look weak and you are dead politically.

Do you think Corbyn could have be more robust in his condemnation of the likes of ISIS?

Yes.

I agree with the comments above to the effect that he could have made things simpler for everyone by being clearer in all this.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: January 07, 2016, 06:39:31 PM »

People in this thread are conflating separate issues. I am objecting to Corbyn being painted as a terrorist sympathiser. Whether he can or will win a general election is a totally separate matter. You can say that one leads to the other to some extent, but that is not what I have been posting about.

I can understand why you think I may have come across a 'bit Tabloid' and I accept I might have been overly condemning of the man in my post.

However, what is your view on him firing Pat McFadden because he refused to blame the west on the Paris terror attacks? I could respect him firing someone for wanting to bomb Syria, god knows I am conflicted about that one. However, this action seems to me like he is absolving the attackers and condemning the west, which Britain is part of. That does not sound like someone I want charged with protecting this country, and it feels like an insult to the victims.

I may be wrong, I am open to having my mind changed about these topics as I have hundreds of times in these threads, but is that really an 'awful' viewpoint?

They say that he was sacked for a succession of incidents undermining the leadership and the item that McFadden has highlighted was just one of them. The leader can have who he wants and the relationship had obviously broken down, but the presentation has been terrible as usual.

John McDonnell - "What McFadden has done on a number of occasions is unfortunately distorted Jeremy's views and turned that into an almost personalised undermining of Jeremy. To be frank, if you want to do that, go to the backbenches and express your views".

Pat McFadden
@patmcfaddenmp
20 Nov 2015

"Good to hear John Reid on the radio this morning. Reminded me of when we were a champions league team."
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: January 09, 2016, 01:13:21 AM »

Gosh, I was harsh yesterday. Hope I didn't upset anyone.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1565 on: January 09, 2016, 08:50:23 AM »

Gosh, I was harsh yesterday. Hope I didn't upset anyone.

I don't think you were harsh at all, this is the politics thread, I think we all like it because it is provocative and challenging. As long as we don't resort to 'Yo Mama' jokes and occasionally are prepared to take a step back and reconsider what we've said, I think debates like the one we all had is what we came here for.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 10, 2016, 11:41:03 AM »

Corbyn's approval rating down to 4% (32% in Sept '15). In contrast w/ Cameron's approval:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12087246/Labour-voters-are-losing-faith-in-Jeremy-Corbyn.html

My eyes are open wide
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1567 on: January 11, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »

Really interesting discussion on Corbyn and his views on, let's call it, "foreign policy".

I'm reasonably old and I can remember when there were collections for "the troubles" and people who passionately supported that side of the conflict. Likewise there were and are still now passionate supporters of Palestine. Not neutrals, supporters. They don't want a resolution, they want Israel to lose.

That's not saying it's not a valid position, but it's not the same as being neutral and trying to find a resolution.

I'm not saying Corbyn or any of his cabinet are in either of these camps, but that is what is being suggested by many in the right (and left) wing media. And while the language is inflammatory I don't think it's totally unreasonable to call someone who is an active supporter of an organisation designated as a terrorist organisation as a terrorist sympathiser.

Again, not saying that's my view (or his) but it's not all spin and smear.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: January 11, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »

^^^^

Welcome back Alun, you've been missed. Not by me, I should add, obv.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1569 on: January 11, 2016, 12:11:01 PM »

Haha! The king of the backhanded compliment.

Just to add to my point above what I was trying to get across is it's wrong/dangerous for Corbyn supporters to just totally dismiss the language used by the other side.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: January 11, 2016, 12:19:03 PM »

thee has long been an "anti Zionist"/pro palestine view on the hard left of the labour party

the full text of Jeremy Corbyn's address to the Labour Friends of Israel reception, when he was heckled for not using the word 'Israel' is an interesting read

https://www.politicshome.com/party-politics/articles/news/jeremy-corbyns-full-speech-labour-friends-israel-reception#sthash.iMr1W9SU.dpuf

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 11, 2016, 12:40:02 PM »

Shadow attorney general Catherine McKinnell resigns, citing concerns over Labour's direction under Jeremy Corbyn http://bbc.in/1nd3cIq

the sooner this lot stop looking at themselves and fighting and start looking out and fighting the government, the better, surely?

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 11, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »

Question for Shadow Cabinet is whether they will think there is no point serving on frontbench for good of party etc

http://specc.ie/1mPTY58

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 11, 2016, 01:35:59 PM »

"It's not inconceivable that in a years time there'll be a new Tory leader and PM"

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/01/11/its-not-inconceivable-that-in-a-years-time-therell-be-a-new-con-leader-and-pm/

My eyes are open wide
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1574 on: January 11, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »

Question of the day

Should Britain stay in the European Union, and why do you think that?
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: