blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 04:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2229301 times)
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1590 on: January 13, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »

Surprised we haven't seen any discussion of the junior doctors strike. I've been pretty appalled at the BBC coverage of it. Seems really biased against the doctors and the government while Mr Hunt gets a complete free pass and is allowed to put out PR without ever being interviewed or answering questions. This post on Twitter just now did make me laugh.

https://twitter.com/cbrookmyre/status/686871591498723328

In what way? No need to give concrete examples, just an idea of general sentiment. It surprises me that the BBC would appear biased in such a way (Sky News seemed pro doctors for this bits I saw).

In fairness reading some of the coverage this morning the tone appears to have softened a lot. Maybe they had complaints. It was leading with the government line, pushing comment from BMA way down the piece, talking about how 11,000 doctors had not gone on strike (despite this being pre agreed for emergency cover) and operations being cancelled (when they had been postponed) and so on. It felt pretty biased to me at any rate. More than language and the way the facts were presented. Here is what's happening (mix of government line and populist scaremongering) and here is an alternative view (what the strikers say). Same way with tube strikes to be fair.

Without a doubt someone had a word with Beeb after the coverage two days ago which was so far in favour of Hunt it was beyond belief.

without a doubt? 

Every report I hear seems to suggest that Hunt thinks they are close and then states BMA thinks they are much further apart.  They have also been reporting survey results that suggest the doctors have public backing.   They reported the ballot results etc.  I heard a five live report the other day where both doctors were very much for the strike and against the Givernment.  I suspect one of them was supposed to be pro Government, as you could hear the presenter desparately trying to lead one of the doctors to say something to support the other side. 

Though you sometimes hear stuff that appears biassed, a lot of the time they do bend over backwards to give the other side even if it means bringing some right lunatics in front of camera.

That's because broadcast news organisations (unlike the print media) are obligated by law to be unbiased. They don't have a choice.

That's why it surprised me so much at how the BBC was treating the story at first. Within the margins they are allowed it seemed quite heavily one sided to me. They rarely challenge the statistics and "facts" that Hunt provides for example.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1591 on: January 13, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »

meanwhile in the daily mail, henry is looking up how to perform a triple heart bypass on himself

I would love to cut his bollocks off and then send him round to his uncle Kevin (who is a really good reader) to have them sewn back on again.

The older I get, the better I was.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1592 on: January 13, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »

meanwhile in the daily mail, henry is looking up how to perform a triple heart bypass on himself

I would love to cut his bollocks off and then send him round to his uncle Kevin (who is a really good reader) to have them sewn back on again.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 13, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »

ICM (#EURef): REMAIN 44 (-1) LEAVE 38 (=) Dates 8th-10th Jan N=2,055

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1594 on: January 13, 2016, 06:24:19 PM »

Question of the Day

Does the BBC have a left wing bias? Give reasons for your answer.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 14, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »

Project Fear: James Forsyth reveals how Cameron plans to scare us into staying in the EU http://specc.ie/1Zm2qF1 

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 14, 2016, 04:45:27 PM »

Labour lost election because of the SNP, benefits, immigration and Miliband

the beckett report etc

http://polho.me/1SkjKLk 

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: January 15, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »

We already know exactly why Labour lost. But nobody in the party cares,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/12101832/We-already-know-exactly-why-Labour-lost.-But-nobody-in-the-party-cares.html

My eyes are open wide
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 15, 2016, 03:06:22 PM »

Question of the Day

People say this but it isn't supported by any evidence.

They don't have the extravagant bias of Sky, (did anybody see Boulton's disgraceful behaviour towards the junior doctor on Tuesday?, even by his own appalling standards that was poor) but they have been right leaning for a long time.

The BBC:

Chris Patten, chairman of BBC trust.
Andrew Neil, Spectator chair and former Times editor, seems like a decent enough chap but has stridently right wing views.
Robbie Gibb, editor of Sunday/Daily politics and this week is a former Francis Maude Chief of Staff.
Nick Robinson was the Chairman of the Young Conservatives.
Thea Rogers was political producer, now she works for George Osborne.
Guto Harri former political correspondent at BBC went to run comms for Boris and now works for Murdoch, was replaced by Boris with Will Walden, also of the BBC.
Business Editor Kamal Ahmed writes in The Telegraph.
Dimbleby former Bullingdon Club.

There is a subtle right wing bias at the BBC, more obviously they are a mouthpiece for whoever is in government.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: January 15, 2016, 03:15:44 PM »

This is hilarious, it's amazing how warped people's minds have become.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: January 15, 2016, 03:16:52 PM »

I think I read some time ago - and it always seems fairly relevant - both the government and the opposition always claim the BBC is biased towards the other side; no matter who is in government.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: January 15, 2016, 03:18:39 PM »

Question of the Day

They don't have the extravagant bias of Sky, (did anybody see Boulton's disgraceful behaviour towards the junior doctor on Tuesday?, even by his own appalling standards that was poor) but they have been right leaning for a long time.

The BBC:

Andrew Neil, Spectator chair and former Times editor, seems like a decent enough chap but has stridently right wing views.
Robbie Gibb, editor of Sunday/Daily politics and this week is a former Francis Maude Chief of Staff.
Guto Harri former political correspondent at BBC went to run comms for Boris and now works for Murdoch, was replaced by Boris with Will Walden, also of the BBC.

There is a subtle right wing bias at the BBC, more obviously they are a mouthpiece for whoever is in government.

I'd say the BBC are pretty balanced these days.  But historically it is left biased if former Director Generals are to be believed.

Mark Thompson talks of "massive left wing bias" in the 80s.

I don't they have these issues now though.

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1602 on: January 15, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »

As I said earlier due to Ofcom requirements they have to, at least attempt to, be balanced and therefore everyone on both sides think they are biased.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1603 on: January 15, 2016, 03:29:06 PM »

I think it's more that the BBC are establishment-biased, and are loath to do/say anything that will rock the boat, no matter which party are in power.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 15, 2016, 03:39:25 PM »

Question of the Day

The BBC:

When you live in another country with access to the BBC, you see just how true this is. It makes it more obvious that the British population is routinely lied to by the television companies. You see the same stories presented very differently, with British government statements presented as facts, as has been said, even when other governments have made statements taking different positions.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: