blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:35:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197245 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: January 27, 2016, 10:41:10 PM »

Fucks sake hope this doesn't happen, that will totally balls up my 10 year plan  Cry

May as well go and do some shite lower paid job with less hassle....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/12115198/52-days-left-of-66pc-pension-tax-relief-boost-This-is-what-you-need-to-do.html

That potentially could really fuck up the personal pensions industry, the tax relief is the best thing about it.

I think if they do this, what they'll use as their go to response is that most workers will be better off because the new workplace pensions scheme encourages employers to make payments.

Obv I'll reserve judgement to see what this 'pension-isa' thingy is all about, but seems terrible to me.

I'd even vote for a centre left govt it they promised to retain this, that's how big a deal it is to me #Judas  Cheesy
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1801 on: January 27, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »

Fucks sake hope this doesn't happen, that will totally balls up my 10 year plan  Cry

May as well go and do some shite lower paid job with less hassle....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/12115198/52-days-left-of-66pc-pension-tax-relief-boost-This-is-what-you-need-to-do.html

That potentially could really fuck up the personal pensions industry, the tax relief is the best thing about it.

I think if they do this, what they'll use as their go to response is that most workers will be better off because the new workplace pensions scheme encourages employers to make payments.

Obv I'll reserve judgement to see what this 'pension-isa' thingy is all about, but seems terrible to me.

I'd even vote for a centre left govt it they promised to retain this, that's how big a deal it is to me #Judas  Cheesy

You bloody lefty tree hugger, get off to your drum circle with Corbyn.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: January 28, 2016, 03:22:00 AM »

Osborne is really cracking down on pension benefits for higher earners.

Doesn't feel like the type of policy you would see Tories follow.

The three main changes are the lifetime allowance reducing to £1m, reducing what any one earning over £150k can pay into pension from £40k per annum down to £10k in the most extreme case and then the very likely axing of higher rate relief.

Osborne is under pressure because as auto enrolment schemes kick in, his tax relief bill is significantly increasing as all employees get at least basic rate tax relief, more people are members of schemes than ever before.

There are transitional arrangements in place to give an increased potential pension contribution in this tax year but higher rate tax payers should get cracking now rather than waiting for the tax year end when it may be too late (the budget is 16th March).

One other idea he is considering is a move from what is know as EET (tax exempt going in, tax exempt during investment but taxed when taking income) to TEE (removing tax breaks going in, keeping funds tax exempt whilst growing but possibly tax exempt when taking an income - like ISA's).

Interesting to see what he does.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:24:21 AM by RickBFA » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: January 28, 2016, 12:54:49 PM »

this is an interesting and balanced article

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/01/labour-wont-split-mps-are-preparing-reckoning-jeremy-corbyn

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: January 28, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »

Probably the most balanced piece I've seen. 

I don't know what the answer is for Labour, there are far to many factions and rifts.  Corbyn, despite all his well held beliefs doesn't strike as the sort of person who can be ruthless enough to make an electable leader.   That said, there was nobody powering through with leadership credentials.   Of those in the background who could be leader, I'm not sure they have the personality to unite the party.   

A new party, would be possible but unelectable to office unless of course there was a shift in the election system.  That seems most unlikely.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: January 28, 2016, 03:33:35 PM »

Nobody going to discuss Cecil Parkinson?  Astonishing that he could go his whole life without meeting his disabled daughter.  I just don't understand how anybody could do that.

That just reminded me of the poem at the end of this piece I read post Bowie's death. It didn't seem to have a home here, but it is a brilliant piece of writing about parenting a disabled child.

http://dokearney.blogspot.ie/2014/08/the-son-i-never-had.html

I think of the poem many times whilst parenting, which appears to be an endless struggle to avoid fucking them up too much.

The Bowie piece that lead me there is here, and it is also an interesting blog.

http://dokearney.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/a-beautiful-exit.html

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: January 29, 2016, 10:45:26 AM »

Jeremy Corbyn at odds with voters over his policy on nuclear deterrent, new poll reveals http://bit.ly/1ORqBs8

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: January 29, 2016, 12:01:58 PM »

Jeremy Corbyn at odds with voters over his policy on nuclear deterrent weapons, new poll reveals http://bit.ly/1ORqBs8

fyp as 'deterrent' is an opinion.

52% v 44% on Trident. Not as resounding as the ES would have us believe.

Click to see full-size image.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: January 29, 2016, 12:41:15 PM »

The nuclear deterrent is not an opinion, it's a defined theory whether you agree with it or not.

"Deterrence theory holds that nuclear weapons are intended to deter other states from attacking with their nuclear weapons, through the promise of retaliation and possibly mutually assured destruction"
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: January 29, 2016, 12:45:46 PM »

So it's not just Corbyn who can come out with the wrong wording. Cameron is getting it in the neck, not just from Corbyn's gang, but also the likes of Yvette Cooper and Chuka Umunna, for calling refugees a 'bunch of migrants'. Surely it was a slip, not a planned expression?

FWIW I think Cameron did this deliberately.  Use a phrase the vast majority of the electorate aren't offended by but get Labour politicians wailing about it all over TV so reinforcing that Labour is fiercely pro-imigration.  Played a blinder imo.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: January 29, 2016, 12:56:25 PM »

The nuclear deterrent is not an opinion, it's a defined theory whether you agree with it or not.

"Deterrence theory holds that nuclear weapons are intended to deter other states from attacking with their nuclear weapons, through the promise of retaliation and possibly mutually assured destruction"

So we agree - nuclear deterrence is not definite; could be wrong.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: January 29, 2016, 01:01:49 PM »

It's a theory and could indeed be wrong.  But using "nuclear deterrent" in a question is fine?
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: January 29, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »

So it's not just Corbyn who can come out with the wrong wording. Cameron is getting it in the neck, not just from Corbyn's gang, but also the likes of Yvette Cooper and Chuka Umunna, for calling refugees a 'bunch of migrants'. Surely it was a slip, not a planned expression?

FWIW I think Cameron did this deliberately.
Use a phrase the vast majority of the electorate aren't offended by but get Labour politicians wailing about it all over TV so reinforcing that Labour is fiercely pro-imigration.  Played a blinder imo.

On reflection, I'm inclined to agree with you. I worked in two government departments and every Parliamentary Question, just for ordinary Ministers, was treated like something sacred. Everything else would be dropped if there was a PQ about your area and an extraordinary amount of attention was given to the detail and wording of the answer. Hours of work would go into what might end up being a very short answer. In particular, every possible Supplementry Question was pre-emptied and answered, as they were the real killers, to avoid the Minister getting into difficulty in the House.

PMQs is different, but that was a prepared piece, though politically-written rather than by the Civil Service.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:13:55 PM by MintTrav » Logged
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: January 29, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »

Use a phrase the vast majority of the electorate aren't offended by but get Labour politicians wailing about it all over TV so reinforcing that Labour is fiercely pro-imigration.  Played a blinder imo.

On reflection, I'm inclined to agree with you. I worked in two government departments and every Parliamentary Question, just for ordinary Ministers, was treated like something sacred. Everything else would be dropped if there was a PQ about your area and an extraordinary amount of attention was given to the detail and wording of the answer. Hours of work would go into what might end up being a very short answer. In particular, every possible Supplementry Question was pre-emptied and answered, as they were the real killers, to avoid the Minister getting into difficulty in the House.

PMQs is different, but that was a prepared piece, though politically-written rather than by the Civil Service.

And an added bonus for Cameron was that it has distracted from the Google tax settlement which should be examined in detail by parliament in my opinion.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1814 on: January 29, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »

And an added bonus for Cameron was that it has distracted from the Google tax settlement which should be examined in detail by parliament in my opinion.

Yes this.

Someone explain this whole Google thing for me. I understand entirely why we give tax breaks to big companies that employ lots of Brits and I am for that generally (for a couple of % not the huge amounts here). Why the hell would any Government not want to force Google to pay more?

I don't get the 'it's just an old boys club' argument in this case, I refuse to believe any political party would not pursue a big cash cow like this. I suspect they in some other way benefit from Google paying fuck all on their tax of course, but how?
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: