blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:32:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 1199 1200 [1201] 1202 1203 1204 1205 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2192127 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18000 on: June 09, 2019, 10:59:14 AM »

re Boris' promises, i am reminded if this

To become Tory leader, a candidate needs the support of Conservative party members.

But to become Prime Minister, the new leader will need to have the confidence of a Commons which has voted against No Deal.

That is one hell of a Venn diagram.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18001 on: June 09, 2019, 11:00:45 AM »

Mark Francois, the (frankly awful) ERG loud MP: “The new PM will be a proper Brexiter, Michael Gove in my opinion is not”

Francois is entitled to hold the view that Gove is not a “proper Brexiter”, whatever that means.

But you can’t insist that the people knew what they were voting for at the same time as claiming that the co-convenor of Vote Leave apparently didn’t. :-)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18002 on: June 09, 2019, 11:01:43 AM »

This is an interesting article

"what's the tangible sign that Brexit has happened that a) reassures Leavers the government has really done Brexit and b) wins over nervous Remainers to Brexit?"

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/peterborough-by-election-conservatives-brexit/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18003 on: June 09, 2019, 11:02:28 AM »

a hard hitting one

"It no longer matters for the Tories if Brexit ends in a deal, no-deal, general election or referendum. There is now literally no circumstance in which the party survives, and it has only itself to blame."

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/brexit-conservative-party-tory-split-outcome-jonathan-lis

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18004 on: June 09, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »

John Bercow on Dominic Raab’s idea of proroguing parliament to get no-deal:

‘Parliament will not be evacuated from the centre stage of the decision making process on this important matter - that simply not going not happen it's just so blindingly obvious.’

My eyes are open wide
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #18005 on: June 09, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »

Just reading the Daily Mail coverage of the lesbian couple who was beaten up for not kissing.

One bloke wrote “I don’t condone the violence at all. But perhaps it’s about time the lgbt community started taking some responsibility for their own actions (such as kissing in public by their own admission and such repercussions might be avoided”

His name was Andy and his profile photo was a Brexit Party logo. I’m shook. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18006 on: June 09, 2019, 11:34:08 AM »

Aaron your implication just isn't helpful. You've been advised on this multiple times and just blithely carry on regardless

One commenter (i assume Andy is a below the line commenter) on the Daily Mail (lol) has a brexit party logo, and happens to have a LGBT view that doesn't agree with yours, which isnt exactly a surprise

You can't project that view on Brexit voters as a homogenous group. Same goes for racism

Yes there may be a subset of Brexit party supporters that hold more extreme views but in my opinion you need to moderate the implication you constantly try to make that "one size fits all" Its real life, I doubt it does

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18007 on: June 09, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »

reference my earlier comments, the sundays always throw up some good stuff

"The Brexit catch-22 - in order to win the leadership of the Conservative Party you have to promise to resolve Brexit in a way that won't actually solve it, indeed is already tried and failed. You wouldn't win the conservative leadership if you had a realistic Brexit plan."

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #18008 on: June 09, 2019, 11:38:33 AM »

Just reading the Daily Mail coverage of the lesbian couple who was beaten up for not kissing.

One bloke wrote “I don’t condone the violence at all. But perhaps it’s about time the lgbt community started taking some responsibility for their own actions (such as kissing in public by their own admission and such repercussions might be avoided”

His name was Andy and his profile photo was a Brexit Party logo. I’m shook. 

Only dumbos read the daily mail.....
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18009 on: June 09, 2019, 11:39:57 AM »

i did enjoy this

Leadsom became the sixth leadership candidate to admit previous drug use, in her case cannabis at Uni

Today her husband re Leadsom 'revelations': 'the surprise is that she got into university'

:-)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18010 on: June 09, 2019, 11:57:58 AM »

meanwhile David Gauke, who 3 times voted for Theresa May’s Brexit deal which would have taken the UK out of the EU on March 29, facing a no confidence vote in his constituency association for “wilful obstruction” of the referendum result.

really odd. Dominic Grieve you can sort of understand it, but Gauke?

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18011 on: June 09, 2019, 11:59:26 AM »

and this is very good

What all these “I took drugs” confessions reveal is the difference between recreational usage and life-ruining addiction is a combination of social support networks, affluence, and genetics, none of which are best dealt with by law enforcement:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/09/michael-gove-got-high-but-his-party-champions-a-futile-war-on-drugs

My eyes are open wide
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #18012 on: June 09, 2019, 02:42:27 PM »

Brilliant and devastating piece by Matthew Parris on Boris Johnson

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/let-me-assure-you-boris-johnson-will-fail-as-pm-hl7b6tkx5

It would be interesting to know if there are any articles out there that give us any hope in any situation, but I am sure they won't be posted....

Anyhoooo.

I am amazed at Boris being the saviour. Wasn't he the first to abandon, what we gathered were ,his principles, and accept TMs watered down version of Brexit when the going got a little tough?

Hardly the honest steadfast headliner the Conservatives need.

Used to think him and Trump would be amusing as a dynamic duo at the head of U.S./ British politics, but as about the only person on this thread capable of shifting their position, I'm now not so sure, and Boris is the bigger worry.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #18013 on: June 09, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/let-me-assure-you-boris-johnson-will-fail-as-pm-hl7b6tkx5

I am amazed at Boris being the saviour. Wasn't he the first to abandon, what we gathered were ,his principles, and accept TMs watered down version of Brexit when the going got a little tough?

No - David Davis was first to quit, then Boris followed. He’d have never quit if Davis didn’t resign.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #18014 on: June 09, 2019, 03:08:41 PM »

No - David Davis was first to quit, then Boris followed. He’d have never quit if Davis didn’t resign.

If you are going to call me out at least be more accurate than my guesstimate at the timeline and reality. Boris changed his allegiance to the full Brexit deal to follow TMs watery version, DD never actually did.

I never mentioned quitting.....

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 1199 1200 [1201] 1202 1203 1204 1205 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: