blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:51:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1199 1200 1201 1202 [1203] 1204 1205 1206 1207 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2196639 times)
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #18030 on: June 10, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »

I don’t think Boris Johnson is doing himself any favours with what’s coming out in the media. He’s banging on about no deal, holding back the £39bn & now he’s cutting tax for the middle class. It’s the complete opposite of what Labour & Corbyn would like.

What is the possibility of Corbyn immediately pressing the no confidence button?
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18031 on: June 10, 2019, 12:07:58 PM »

I don’t think Boris Johnson is doing himself any favours with what’s coming out in the media. He’s banging on about no deal, holding back the £39bn & now he’s cutting tax for the middle class. It’s the complete opposite of what Labour & Corbyn would like.

What is the possibility of Corbyn immediately pressing the no confidence button?

Given his stated position of wanting a GE, I would imagine he'd do this regardless of who ends up winning the leadership contest.  Whether he can get it to pass is another matter.

As stated earlier in the thread, if the intention is to 'resolve' Brexit then a GE is the worst way of achieving this.  That's essentially the reason the last one was called, and look how that turned out.

Any GE now would be against the backdrop of Tory and Labour parties with plummeting support, an unknown quantity in the Brexit party sucking votes from both (although far more Tory than Labour votes being lost), and Lib Dem / Greens picking up pro-remain votes from each (skewed towards far more Labour than Tory votes being lost).  Throw in SNP and resurgent Plaid in Scotland and Wales and you have a complete lottery as to what the outcome will be, even before everyone starts applying their own spin to it.  Chances are it's a bigger mess than currently.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #18032 on: June 10, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »

Given his stated position of wanting a GE, I would imagine he'd do this regardless of who ends up winning the leadership contest.  Whether he can get it to pass is another matter.

As stated earlier in the thread, if the intention is to 'resolve' Brexit then a GE is the worst way of achieving this.  That's essentially the reason the last one was called, and look how that turned out.

Any GE now would be against the backdrop of Tory and Labour parties with plummeting support, an unknown quantity in the Brexit party sucking votes from both (although far more Tory than Labour votes being lost), and Lib Dem / Greens picking up pro-remain votes from each (skewed towards far more Labour than Tory votes being lost).  Throw in SNP and resurgent Plaid in Scotland and Wales and you have a complete lottery as to what the outcome will be, even before everyone starts applying their own spin to it.  Chances are it's a bigger mess than currently.

It most certainly wouldn’t solve anything. It’d be a government propped up by 3/4 parties LAB/LD/SNP/GREEN.

But Boris is digging himself a hole. He could be PM in July and out by August. Ultimately, he’s picking up votes for leadership, but not thinking long term. He’s essentially the only person I see who’d lose the NC.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #18033 on: June 10, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »

The odds on next leader are fascinating.

Boris - Started 11/10, drifter to 9/4 when Gove announced, 1/2 data ago and now 4/6.

Hunt - started 16/1, drifts to 20s, into 11s late last week, this morning 8/1 and now at 4/1.

Raab having a nightmare. He was early and now 33s
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #18034 on: June 10, 2019, 01:27:49 PM »

We do keep looking at everything from a rather introspective viewpoint. Well at least the remainers do.

They don't seem to look at the big picture of how Europe seems to keep letting more in,(who next? Australia? Israel?)and those who have f all. Someone gotta fund them when they go bust.

Are we, sorry Doobs, claiming that Mays deal had all we wanted,.bar a suitable Ireland resolution?

I really doubt that very much.

It's not what I voted for, and to be honest, if you think about it, if S, Ireland wanted to be a part of the U.K. in the first place it wouldn't be an issue......

This isn't a trick question or meant to be overly challenging but what would you list as the things you voted for - I think if you could list say 5 solid things you thought you were going to get but wouldn't get via May's deal or 10 things before the referendum you'd be doing a lot better than most of us who voted for Brexit or Tory MPs for that matter

I'm sure sure that I know what May has actually asked for, and if you asked most people they would probably say the same.

What I hoped for.

To stop giving money to a union that seems to want more than it was giving back, and looked like getting worse.

Control the rules under which we govern ourselves. Not saying ours our perfect, but we can't hide or smudge issues by being able to blame Brussels.

End the gravy train for our citizens, that is Brussels. Been there many times and it's a joke.

Be able to trade on a more global basis on our terms and as much or as little as we like.

Better control on immigration.

Fishing controls.

No paying into an EU army etc. We still seem to get ourselves in scraps that the EU offer very little support to us in already etc.

Enough?

May's deal does all that I think if you look at with some kind of rational time perspective

I was just going to say just this but he wouldn't have believed me....

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #18035 on: June 10, 2019, 01:29:37 PM »

I can't see how a no deal Boris can possible tell the queen that he has the confidence of the house.  £10bn for the DUP this time?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18036 on: June 10, 2019, 02:32:39 PM »

this has got 1.2m views

a good use of 90 seconds

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1137689381639204865

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #18037 on: June 10, 2019, 04:52:00 PM »

Say what you like about Michael Gove but he is a brilliant speaker.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #18038 on: June 10, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »

Something I don't understand about the tories.

They are seen as the party for the rich yes? Not the common person. Hence why, historically, they don't get votes in the north.

Rather than try and change that perception Boris announces he wants to raise income threshold for 40% tax band from £50k to £80k.

So the above average earners get to keep more of their money? Yet police numbers, benefits, local government services continue to go underfunded?

If someone asked me the best way to spend £10 billion, I don't see how coming up with giving well off people more money would be the best most rational and impactful priority?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18039 on: June 10, 2019, 05:18:41 PM »

They are seen as the party for the rich yes? Not the common person. Hence why, historically, they don't get votes in the north.

Rather than try and change that perception Boris announces he wants to raise income threshold for 40% tax band from £50k to £80k.

So the above average earners get to keep more of their money? Yet police numbers, benefits, local government services continue to go underfunded?

If someone asked me the best way to spend £10 billion, I don't see how coming up with giving well off people more money would be the best most rational and impactful priority?

I agree.

The older I get, the better I was.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #18040 on: June 10, 2019, 05:27:24 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/10/esther-mcvey-lorraine-kelly-tv-itv-live-link

Bad day for a couple of the wannabe leaders on tv!    Comical scenes esp VD calling Hunt a *****!
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #18041 on: June 10, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/10/esther-mcvey-lorraine-kelly-tv-itv-live-link

Bad day for a couple of the wannabe leaders on tv!    Comical scenes esp VD calling Hunt a *****!

It happened on R4 a few years ago where twice he was called Jeremy C**t in a short space of time by different presenters

Ah! The element of surprise
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #18042 on: June 10, 2019, 05:38:49 PM »

It would seem this might catch him out in Scotland as it has different consequences. He was due to make a gaffe at some point.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #18043 on: June 10, 2019, 07:08:56 PM »

Well the north had a bigger % of Leave votes so all the Boris big talk about hard Brexit could target their support

Ironically if he delivered on that pledge the north would suffer more than the south post Brexit

Funny how the poor vote to make themselves poorer and then complain how the rich get richer and should support the poor more

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #18044 on: June 10, 2019, 07:44:14 PM »

Say what you like about Charlie Gove but he is a brilliant speaker.

FYP

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 1199 1200 1201 1202 [1203] 1204 1205 1206 1207 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: