blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:56:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1379 1380 1381 1382 [1383] 1384 1385 1386 1387 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2190923 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #20730 on: September 11, 2019, 05:45:35 PM »

Yes, that's what the English court said but whatever else it might mean in practice, senior judges in Scotland have ruled the the Prime Minister deliberately tried to frustrate Parliament for his own ends, then lied about it to the Queen and the country. 

Interesting times. Normally that would obviously play pretty badly but in this people v politicians type environment presumably it doesn't play badly to his core vote..ie he did it as a means to an end which is to get Brexit through with no further delays

I probably am part of his core vote to be fair  Wink

Are we not saying that the Queen is pretty thick if she has been misled on this though?

Also based on that paragraph, his motives were politically driven, so he is allowed to prorogue as he see's fit?

It’s a formality that she approves it, it was always going to be for the courts to decide if she was misled. I don’t think anyone doubts the reasons that were given are dishonest. The Supreme Court case will be interesting for sure.

EU decide how UK should operate on a range of issues
Remain decide what’s best for UK despite referendum
Courts decide what our Queen was thinking

Kinda see a pattern here..

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20731 on: September 11, 2019, 07:19:41 PM »

Should the govt be able to prorogue parliament prior to a Queens speech, Yes of course.
Did Mr Johnson do it for 5 weeks so he could avoid questions in parliament, Yes.
Should the Supreme Court reverse the 5 week proroguing? Probably not, perhaps force it to be 2 weeks, but meh.
Will everyone complain whatever the result? yes

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #20732 on: September 11, 2019, 07:42:40 PM »

Should the govt be able to prorogue parliament prior to a Queens speech, Yes of course.
Did Mr Johnson do it for 5 weeks so he could avoid questions in parliament, Yes.
Should the Supreme Court reverse the 5 week proroguing? Probably not, perhaps force it to be 2 weeks, but meh.
Will everyone complain whatever the result? yes

There was an act of Parliament in the 19th century specifically about the rules on proroguing Parliament, it was superceded by the Representation of the People Act (and parts of that have probably been updated since then) - but it all only applies to General Elections.

What would probably make sense would be if they just revised the existing legislation to include a few clauses about proroguing Parliament at the end of the sessions as well as a prelude to a General Election (and probably some other bits of Parliamentary convention that could be tidied up and specified at the same time).

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20733 on: September 11, 2019, 07:53:23 PM »

The Yellowhammer has landed:
https://t.co/z0rgHFhcWc

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20734 on: September 11, 2019, 07:54:00 PM »

Released as ordered by Mondays vote. No prorogation material yet

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20735 on: September 11, 2019, 08:12:58 PM »

One example

Yellowhammer doc confirms that there would be medical supply shortages in event of no deal because they’re so dependent on Dover crossing. They say the govt cannot stockpile all the medicines that we need.

My eyes are open wide
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #20736 on: September 11, 2019, 08:31:21 PM »

One example

Yellowhammer doc confirms that there would be medical supply shortages in event of no deal because they’re so dependent on Dover crossing. They say the govt cannot stockpile all the medicines that we need.

I did post about this a few weeks ago but it obviously fell on deaf ears.

The head of the FRENCH customs department was on the radio reporting how a scheme to ensure all the paperwork done at crossing time can be done in departure offices and online.

He also pointed out that as 33%  of all lorries have no cargo, as they are returning empty, it shouldn't slow down any current process, it may even speed it up.

I notice that Yelowhammer doesn't mention this.

Didn't even take much research.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
bunnydas8888

View Profile
« Reply #20737 on: September 11, 2019, 08:36:30 PM »

One example

The head of the FRENCH customs department was on the radio reporting how a scheme to ensure all the paperwork done at crossing time can be done in departure offices and online.

He also pointed out that as 33%  of all lorries have no cargo, as they are returning empty, it shouldn't slow down any current process, it may even speed it up.

I think part of the problem is that no one knows what will happen. All well and good being able to do it in an office, but if you set off on 31st Oct & reach the border at 23:59, you might suddenly not have any of the right documents.

The yellow hammer doc also states that business readiness is likely to be low, because this whole thing has dragged on for so long & people don't know what to expect, so would take (a short time) for businesses to catch up

*edit*
Also worth remembering this is not what will definitely happen if we do have a no deal exit, it's a worst case scenario
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:39:03 PM by bunnydas8888 » Logged
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #20738 on: September 11, 2019, 08:44:38 PM »

One example

Yellowhammer doc confirms that there could be medical supply shortages if no efforts are made to mitigate the effects of disruption to the short straits crossing.

Yellowhammer doc also says that DHSC is developing a multi-layered approach to mitigate these risks. It would actually be more worrying if the govt hadn’t been concerned.

Personally I have next to no requirement for medication if I ignore the anti-depressants. I understand that for people who rely upon their meds, or who have family who do, this is all f considerable concern. But the issue has been anticipated and is being addressed. As long as it’s not Chris Grayling doing the planning we can hope it will all be ok.

** I really don’t intend to minimise this because I understand the concerns.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20739 on: September 11, 2019, 08:46:29 PM »

Parliament suspension: Government refuses to publish No 10 communications

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49670123

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20740 on: September 11, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »

One example

He also pointed out that as 33%  of all lorries have no cargo, as they are returning empty, it shouldn't slow down any current process, it may even speed it up.

I think part of the problem is that no one knows what will happen. All well and good being able to do it in an office, but if you set off on 31st Oct & reach the border at 23:59, you might suddenly not have any of the right documents.

The yellow hammer doc also states that business readiness is likely to be low, because this whole thing has dragged on for so long & people don't know what to expect, so would take (a short time) for businesses to catch up

*edit*
Also worth remembering this is not what will definitely happen if we do have a no deal exit, it's a worst case scenario

On 5th August the same document appeared in the Sunday times headlined Base Scenario. Headlined changed in the release today lol.

6 Page's cannot be the complete report either, this is an executive summary essentially

Go back a few years and I feel confident that no responsible government would even contemplate this with public health and public order concerns particularly relevant to that view.

Times have changed

My eyes are open wide
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #20741 on: September 11, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »

I look at every position of each party & all I can see is the inability to compromise. But chuff me, the Lib Dem new position and Jo Swinson herself.

Moving to an all out policy of revoking isn’t acceptable. I’m all for remaining, but not just revoking. I contradict myself slightly as I said there has to be a point of revoking if we’re still at deadlock in many months time, but revoking isn’t fair.

All I’m thinking of in this election is who I’m going to vote for? Absolute no for Labour or Tory. Then the LD position isn’t one I now agree with, even though weeks ago I assumed I’d give in and vote for them.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20742 on: September 11, 2019, 09:11:27 PM »

I still don't get why inward flows will be affected at all - part of UK mitigation could easily be to carry on as we are now with European imports - why would we generate the issue - there's just no logic here that anyone can explain to me

sola virtus nobilitat
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #20743 on: September 11, 2019, 09:15:45 PM »

One example

Yep they confirm that the problem is the reliance on a single route...not the global availability of goods

So a big benefit of Brexit is that our reliance on a single route can be drastically mitigated...thus solving the problem EU membership brings

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #20744 on: September 11, 2019, 09:27:47 PM »

I still don't get why inward flows will be affected at all - part of UK mitigation could easily be to carry on as we are now with European imports - why would we generate the issue - there's just no logic here that anyone can explain to me

Under WTO rules don't you have to treat all countries the same, so you allow EU goods flow freely and tariff free... so you have to let US goods flow freely and tariff free... so you have to let chinese goods flow freely and tariff free?   So business as usual isn't possible.   Good luck getting a US trade deal when you are already letting their goods in tariff free. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 1379 1380 1381 1382 [1383] 1384 1385 1386 1387 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: