blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:59:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2199160 times)
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: January 18, 2016, 11:22:51 AM »

Specifically on Vanguard/Trident. Show me where he actually said it. I watched it twice just in case, he didn't say it.

The others are just obvious misrepresentations, he said there already is evidence that countries (didn't specify but obviously the Saudi's are implicated) are in contact with IS and that sensible discussion over the Falklands is a good idea. Nothing complicated or controversial there.

Yep watched it three times he was quite restrained on the issues tbh
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: January 18, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »

Corbyn said: “They don’t have to have nuclear warheads on them.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/17/jeremy-corbyn-trident-compromise-no-nuclear-warheads

so the sun bullet point seems a fair reflection of that?

faces a huge task to explain the logic of that in an election campaign...the uk electorate, middle ground of it anyway, isn't unilateralist and isn't anti-deterrent.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: January 18, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »

On the BBC issue, my perception (I know its a perception) is that employees of organisations funded by the public have a tendency to be left learning as a left wing Governments are seen to be more sympathetic to their organisations.

If this assumption were correct then the staff, even if subconsciously, would report the news with a more left wing leaning bias.

Same applies to NHS, teaching profession etc - Every individual I know personally in these areas supports the Labour Party.

In much the same way, the people I know who own their own businesses are Tory supporters.

When asked about the submarines:   "They don't have to have nuclear warheads on them.  There are options"

I'm sure you guys can argue about context, but if Labour List are running the headline "The UK could keep Trident without warheads", you're probably on your own!

http://labourlist.org/2016/01/the-uk-could-keep-trident-without-warheads-corbyn-says-he-will-accommodate-labour-divisions/

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: January 18, 2016, 11:26:39 AM »

Quote Fail - obviously that response is to Kush/Horsey on Trident!
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: January 18, 2016, 12:37:48 PM »

What is going on? Why are so many people who have non-British wives/partners being made leadera of their parties?

Nigel Farage, Nick Clegg, Jeremy Corbyn and Ruth Davidson of UKIP, Lib Dems, Labour and Scottish Conservatives all hear foreign accents at home, as does future Labour leader Stephen Kinnock. And Natalie Bennett, the leader of the Greens, is a foreigner herself, as is future Tory leader Boris Johnson.

How can these people understand the concerns of normal British people, when they have such an untypical home life? And how do we know where their sympathies really lie? Our newspapers haven't highlighted the foreign influences being brought to bear on our leaders at their weakest moments, suggesting that there is a conspiracy running through Westminster and the Press to prevent us asking too many questions about it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:39:23 PM by MintTrav » Logged
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1625 on: January 18, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »

What is going on? Why are so many people who have non-British wives/partners being made leadera of their parties?

Nigel Farage, Nick Clegg, Jeremy Corbyn and Ruth Davidson of UKIP, Lib Dems, Labour and Scottish Conservatives all hear foreign accents at home, as does future Labour leader Stephen Kinnock. And Natalie Bennett, the leader of the Greens, is a foreigner herself, as is future Tory leader Boris Johnson.

How can these people understand the concerns of normal British people, when they have such an untypical home life? And how do we know where their sympathies really lie? Our newspapers haven't highlighted the foreign influences being brought to bear on our leaders at their weakest moments, suggesting that there is a conspiracy running through Westminster and the Press to prevent us asking too many questions about it.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The older I get, the better I was.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: January 18, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »

Vote tory.  Traditional British family values. Grin  Must be a level right Mint surely?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:20:49 PM by arbboy » Logged
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: January 18, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »

Corbyn said: “They don’t have to have nuclear warheads on them.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/17/jeremy-corbyn-trident-compromise-no-nuclear-warheads

so the sun bullet point seems a fair reflection of that?

faces a huge task to explain the logic of that in an election campaign...the uk electorate, middle ground of it anyway, isn't unilateralist and isn't anti-deterrent.

He was correcting Marr on a matter of fact, like he did on the McCluskey Scottish union address point. He just said they don't have to have nuclear warheads on them, they don't and haven't since 2010 (according to various internet sources). He was then pressed by Marr on the point and committed nothing, quite appropriately given they haven't even started their review yet.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: January 18, 2016, 01:52:12 PM »

this is quite the headline, probably hyperbolic but still

interesting perspective

"Jeremy Corbyn's Falklands comments have surrendered the next election to the Tories "

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/01/18/jeremy-corbyn-s-falklands-comments-have-surrendered-the-next

My eyes are open wide
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: January 18, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »

Corbyn: UK could keep Trident submarines but without warheads

twat - that only works if you keep the fact that you don't have any warheads a secret like we do now.

Maybe it's a double bluff.  If he's talking like this then it reinforces that we do have them at present?

Anyway - don't we have any at the moment or is this just a theory? 

I had no idea that we actually might not have them at the moment, I was just being flippant and pointing you that you don't actually need nukes or be prepared to use them to have a deterrent effect. 

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: January 18, 2016, 06:10:15 PM »

The House of Commons is currently holding a three-hour debate (not in the main chamber) on whether to ban Donald Trump from the UK, which it is obliged to do as 570,000 people signed a petition requesting it. Total waste of time and they obviously won't do it, but quite interesting to watch:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12106002/Watch-live-MPs-debate-whether-to-ban-Donald-Trump-from-UK.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:21:21 PM by MintTrav » Logged
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: January 19, 2016, 12:14:25 AM »

On the BBC issue, my perception (I know its a perception) is that employees of organisations funded by the public have a tendency to be left learning as a left wing Governments are seen to be more sympathetic to their organisations.

If this assumption were correct then the staff, even if subconsciously, would report the news with a more left wing leaning bias.

Same applies to NHS, teaching profession etc - Every individual I know personally in these areas supports the Labour Party.

In much the same way, the people I know who own their own businesses are Tory supporters.

When asked about the submarines:   "They don't have to have nuclear warheads on them.  There are options"

I'm sure you guys can argue about context, but if Labour List are running the headline "The UK could keep Trident without warheads", you're probably on your own!

http://labourlist.org/2016/01/the-uk-could-keep-trident-without-warheads-corbyn-says-he-will-accommodate-labour-divisions/

The country is being annihilated by public sector cuts, while you're all Corbyn assessed. The NHS strike is a fucking massive event in all of British history, dwarves the rest in terms of being news.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:27:52 AM by kukushkin88 » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: January 19, 2016, 11:27:41 AM »

When asked about the submarines:   "They don't have to have nuclear warheads on them.  There are options"

The country is being annihilated by public sector cuts, while you're all Corbyn assessed. The NHS strike is a fucking massive event in all of British history, dwarves the rest in terms of being news.

the unfortunate thing is that there is no effective opposition. the Hard left's views are so "out there" that it dominates the news and gives the government a relatively free ride

the solution to this, given the press is predominantly right wing and that isn't going to change, is an end to labour infighting and some sensible policies that don't see the PR so disastrous. Neither look particularly likely, just yet

stopping putting the disastrous dianne abbott up as as a media mouthpiece on every outlet when every fresh mini-crisis appears would be a start too

My eyes are open wide
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1633 on: January 19, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »

The NHS strike really shouldn't even be a political issue. I'm quite certain a large number of Tory voters would be appalled at some of the changes if they were presented neutrally. Some would welcome them with open arms of course.

It's not a right wing/left wing issue, it's a significant ideological change to the nature of healthcare provision in this country and most people are unaware of the consequences.

All they see is a tired, battered NHS with long queues at A&E and moody rushed GPs and assume the government are fixing it. They aren't. They are trying to fundamentally change it by saying the current system is broken.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: January 19, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »

well said Alun

Sadly the country is only going to realise when it is to late

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: