blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:09:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273072 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 632 633 634 635 [636] 637 638 639 640 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2234022 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9525 on: June 08, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »

Always funny watching people who have never had a fight in their life, have a fight Smiley
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9526 on: June 08, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »

There was a guy outside the polling station asking for my polling number, what's that about? Crossed my mind he was Working for one of the parties so he could chase people up, I guessed probably Labour as they always seem to have a lot of boots on the ground. Politely told him to do one....

I had the same thing - a guy with a Lib Dem rosette on.

He said it was so they would know who voted and then knock on doors of those that hadn't voted and offer to take them to the polling station.

Said everyone does it, so I asked him where the fook is everyone else then?

That seems really dodgy, is it allowed?

I have no idea, but he couldn't be more obvious if he tried, so the polling staff obviously know what he's up to and I assume they would have done something to stop him if it wasn't......

I had that last election from some Labour people - seemed incredibly dodgy to me as well, but it must be fairly common.

Later in the day they'll go round to people who haven't voted yet to give them a reminder, or ask if they need a lift to the polling station or whatever - asking people their numbers as they go in just means they don't waste time knocking on someone's door who has already voted.

All perfectly legit - though I do hope someone from Labour pops round to Woodsey's to ask if he needs any help.
buffyslayer1

View Profile
« Reply #9527 on: June 08, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »

I had the same when I voted today and I think it's happened every election I have ever voted in including local elections. No party affiliation that I could see from the one that took my polling number. I assumed they were part of the polling process to be honest, guess not.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #9528 on: June 08, 2017, 02:01:19 PM »

I had the same when I voted today and I think it's happened every election I have ever voted in including local elections. No party affiliation that I could see from the one that took my polling number. I assumed they were part of the polling process to be honest, guess not.

That's the part that bothers me about it.

Now that it's been explained what it's for I don't have any problem with what they're doing - I just think it should be clear to everyone they ask that this isn't part of the process and it's being done for party political purposes.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #9529 on: June 08, 2017, 02:02:54 PM »

Must only happen in marginals, I've never seen it in the safe seats of North Herts. I definitely don't think it should be allowed.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9530 on: June 08, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »

there should definitely be some kind of services that help facilitate people getting to vote as it's such an important part of our system. but it sounds dodgy as fk when its described and given none of us seem to know about it seems like there isn't much oversight meaning it could easily be abused.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #9531 on: June 08, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »

there should definitely be some kind of services that help facilitate people getting to vote as it's such an important part of our system. but it sounds dodgy as fk when its described and given none of us seem to know about it seems like there isn't much oversight meaning it could easily be abused.

Bank Holiday and free public transport on the day seems democratic.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9532 on: June 08, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

Just on the debt, we know that the tories have increased it year on year right? 

buffyslayer1

View Profile
« Reply #9533 on: June 08, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »

That's the part that bothers me about it.

Now that it's been explained what it's for I don't have any problem with what they're doing - I just think it should be clear to everyone they ask that this isn't part of the process and it's being done for party political purposes.

agree I think they should say what they are doing and why. Did  quick Google search and it doesn't seem nefarious but still people should be informed about it

neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9534 on: June 08, 2017, 02:50:19 PM »

The UK prints its own currency, it does not have a debt problem or a deficit problem.

Both labour and tories speak utter rubbish on this subject, usually knowingly but often out of sheer ignorance which is worse.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9535 on: June 08, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »

Both labour and tories speak utter rubbish on all subjects, usually knowingly for profit but often out of sheer ignorance which is worse.

fyp!
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: June 08, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »

The UK prints its own currency, it does not have a debt problem or a deficit problem.

Both labour and tories speak utter rubbish on this subject, usually knowingly but often out of sheer ignorance which is worse.

This is probably basic economic literacy, so forgive my ignorance - on the ONS report it shows in 16/17 central government paid interest payments of £49.1 billion gross and £36 billion net on Government debt.

Where is that interest payment going to if we don't have a debt issue?

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: June 08, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »

It would be great if you could expand on this, I think I nearly understand but some explanation would be helpful.
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9538 on: June 08, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »

It would be great if you could expand on this, I think I nearly understand but some explanation would be helpful.

Will do later, but want to watch trump get beaten up on Capitol Hill first.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9539 on: June 08, 2017, 03:07:19 PM »

Will do later, but want to watch trump get beaten up on Capitol Hill first.

I imagine this will be pretty uninteresting compared to what we are expecting as it's in open discussion not closed + the people asking the questions are not on the side of truth! GOP bias ftw.
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 634 635 [636] 637 638 639 640 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: