blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:47:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272600 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 808 809 810 811 [812] 813 814 815 816 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197302 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #12165 on: March 22, 2018, 10:14:17 PM »

What is this I have here then?

http://ifcba.org/sites/ifcba/files/TaylorPresentation.pdf

Would you Adam and Eve it?

A presentation on good old British company De La Rue, strong believers in local jobs for local people.   They aren't the sort of cads who go round the World stealing business from local companies, are they? 

De La Rue – De La Who?

• The world’s largest integrated Commercial Security Printer and Papermaker

• The trusted partner of Governments, Central Banks, Issuing Authorities and  Commercial Organisations around the world

• Involved in the production of over 150 national currencies and a wide range of security documents including passports, driving licences, authentication labels and tax stamps

An International Business

UK and Ireland 19%; 81% of Total Trade is Export and 68% is outside the EU

I assume we are calling for them to give up all that export trade and to concentrate on sales to good old Blighty? 

Seems Joe Public is been told what to think, and have been treated as idiots after all...

just not by the EU.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: March 22, 2018, 10:19:28 PM »

Think this story will form part of a series of nonsenses in the coming weeks. There's nothing really to see here, Tories putting stuff out to tender and trying to save money so they can do great things to help the just about managings is not really news.

I think the announcements the other day about a transition deal and lots of green ink on the docs has sent the remainers into a bit of a tizz.

Within hours there was loads of news about the fisheries stuff; it's like the Brexit brigade sensibly decide to maintain integrity and honour existing arrangements during the transition and immediately there is lots of noise about what a blow this is to people who supported Brexit. Remainers sounded really upset that our waters weren't returning to the British womb more quickly but it's just disingenuous when their preference is the status quo.

I think there's been a change of tack from 'the sky will fall in' to 'we're so stupid we can't get a deal' to 'ner, ner, Brexit ct, you're not getting everything you think you voted for'. Only another few years of this too.

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: March 22, 2018, 10:37:09 PM »

Think this story will form part of a series of nonsenses in the coming weeks. There's nothing really to see here, Tories putting stuff out to tender and trying to save money so they can do great things to help the just about managings is not really news.

I think the announcements the other day about a transition deal and lots of green ink on the docs has sent the remainers into a bit of a tizz.

Within hours there was loads of news about the fisheries stuff; it's like the Brexit brigade sensibly decide to maintain integrity and honour existing arrangements during the transition and immediately there is lots of noise about what a blow this is to people who supported Brexit. Remainers sounded really upset that our waters weren't returning to the British womb more quickly but it's just disingenuous when their preference is the status quo.

I think there's been a change of tack from 'the sky will fall in' to 'we're so stupid we can't get a deal' to 'ner, ner, Brexit ct, you're not getting everything you think you voted for'. Only another few years of this too.

They're both true though aren't they? The economy is a disaster (mindblowingly so) unless you're rich and we're not really doing Brexit, just enough to appease the simpletons but only really trying to limit the damage.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: March 22, 2018, 10:55:38 PM »

They're both true though aren't they? The economy is a disaster (mindblowingly so) unless you're rich and we're not really doing Brexit, just enough to appease the simpletons but only really trying to limit the damage.

Agree with the second part but think simpletons is a bit harsh :-) Agree less with the first part but can readily understand your perspective.

sola virtus nobilitat
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: March 22, 2018, 11:34:32 PM »

Another point worth noting is that De La Rue are almost def the only UK company that could tender for this work, so a "sourcing the work in the UK" policy would likely result in a lot more than £50m extra cost.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:51 AM »

This is a classic situation and one of the reasons joe public voted to leave the EU.

We play by the current rules and accept bids from all EU businesses and others just ignore the rules and find ways to do wtf they like with no consequences from the EU.

Apart from joe public being sick of told how to think and how stupid they are, there is a desire to be able to control our own destiny (with good or bad consequences).

The remain side still don’t understand the strong attraction to people that this has. You might call it insular or little Englander mentality but it’s a big emotional pull for a lot of people.

I did smile at the usual suspects on here trying to link Brexit as a cause of the passport situation when the opposite is the case, it is us playing by the EU rules.

So basically this post can be summed up as:

The EU knockers completely make up stories,

people like you believe them without bothering to independently verify

and when your told you are an idiot you take umbrage

This is complete nonsense.

What it means is :

The passport story is nothing to do with Brexit (despite the comments on here). That was where this debate started in last few pages.

There are at best, anomalies in how certain countries work the EU rules for their national interest.

Both that and the perseption it has created contributed to leave winning.

Calling people like me an “idiot” etc when I point this out and taking some self imposed moral high ground is one of the reasons why remain lost the vote.

The only thing I take umbrage at is your condescending and wholier than thou responses  Smiley

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: March 23, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »

This is a classic situation and one of the reasons joe public voted to leave the EU.

We play by the current rules and accept bids from all EU businesses and others just ignore the rules and find ways to do wtf they like with no consequences from the EU.

Apart from joe public being sick of told how to think and how stupid they are, there is a desire to be able to control our own destiny (with good or bad consequences).

The remain side still don’t understand the strong attraction to people that this has. You might call it insular or little Englander mentality but it’s a big emotional pull for a lot of people.

I did smile at the usual suspects on here trying to link Brexit as a cause of the passport situation when the opposite is the case, it is us playing by the EU rules.

What it means is :

The passport story is nothing to do with Brexit (despite the comments on here). That was where this debate started in last few pages.

There are at best, anomalies in how certain countries work the EU rules for their national interest.

Calling people like me an “idiot” etc when I point this out and taking some self imposed moral high ground is one of the reasons why remain lost the vote.

The only thing I take umbrage at is your condescending and wholier than thou responses 

Good morning,

Only the original article and Woodsey said it was to do with Brexit.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: March 23, 2018, 08:43:29 AM »

It is to do with Brexit though:-), as it's an excellent example of the confused and misinformed nonsense that seems to have played a part in the decision making of some of the people who voted leave.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: March 23, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »

It is to do with Brexit though:-), as it's an excellent example of the confused and misinformed nonsense that seems to have played a part in the decision making of some of the people who voted leave.

And your an excellent example of spouting the sort of sanctimonious better than thou’ bollox that got some people’s backs up and made them get off their arse and vote out. Thanks for helping tip the balance to leave  
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: March 23, 2018, 09:03:43 AM »

And your an excellent example of spouting the sort of sanctimonious better than thou’ bollox that got some people’s backs up and made them get off their arse and vote out. Thanks for helping tip the balance to leave  

Morning,

It's hilarious really. Are we actually saying people voted to damage the economy and the country's standing in the world because they didn't like being called idiots? Doesn't sound remotely like something an idiot would do, oh wait, now it's me that's confused. I'll be sure to go and audit myself against Dunning-Kruger on Rational Wiki. I just love that website :-)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #12175 on: March 23, 2018, 09:11:12 AM »

Morning,

It's hilarious really. Are we actually saying people voted to damage the economy and the country's standing in the world because they didn't like being called idiots? Doesn't sound remotely like something an idiot would do, oh wait, now it's me that's confused. I'll be sure to go and audit myself against Dunning-Kruger on Rational Wiki. I just love that website :-)

And it was continually repeating the condescending bollox like this that helped too. Thanks for helping vote leave without even realising  thumbs up
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: March 23, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »

It's even more bizarre that you're still cheerleading leave. Yet again you seem to think that politics is like sport, you pick a team and stick with them through thick and thin. The more evidence stacks up against your team.....most comprehensively failing British government so far, Brexit a disaster etc, the more partisan you become.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: March 23, 2018, 09:16:20 AM »

It's even more bizarre that you're still cheerleading leave. Yet again you seem to think that politics is like sport, you pick a team and stick with them through thick and thin. The more evidence stacks up against your team.....most comprehensively failing British government so far, Brexit a disaster etc, the more partisan you become.

Thank you, keep it coming.   
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: March 23, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »

What it means is :

The only thing I take umbrage at is your condescending and wholier than thou responses 

Just to clarify - my original post (and the article) didn't say it was to do with Brexit (though it did imply it). It said the passport thing was happening after Brexit.

I've been amazed how you have tried to divert this into a discussion about which countries currently follow EU rules, what happens in France, etc.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with EU rules. It's about something that will happen after the UK has left the EU.

Just an example of our less competitive future.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: March 23, 2018, 09:26:15 AM »

Thank you, keep it coming.   

You think you won :-) but everybody lost :-(.
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 810 811 [812] 813 814 815 816 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: