blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:23:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 834 835 836 837 [838] 839 840 841 842 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180113 times)
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #12555 on: April 25, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »

My main point is that we're being bombarded daily with the same messages. One of which is that our new trade deals are unlikely to be as good as our old trade deals - as per this article in the Observer.

You don't need to be an expert in anything other than common fkn sense to work that out.

And, no, we don't need to be told every day either - as if it was new news.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12556 on: April 25, 2018, 11:02:31 AM »

UK liable for 'divorce bill' even with no Brexit trade deal – NAO chief

yes its from the Guardian

posted for debate, not to be dismissed just because its the guardian please

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/24/uk-liable-for-divorce-bill-even-with-no-brexit-trade-deal-nao-chief?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews#link_time=1524601340

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12557 on: April 25, 2018, 11:04:11 AM »

How the Corbyn Board of Deputies meeting collapsed into excuses
Stephen Pollard reveals what went on behind the closed doors of the Labour leader's office

https://www.thejc.com/corbyn-jlc-meeting-what-really-happened-1.463018

My eyes are open wide
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #12558 on: April 25, 2018, 11:20:46 AM »

Stephen Pollard reveals what went on behind the closed doors of the Labour leader's office

Sounds like Jezza is making a right old mess of things.

He's probably worried about upsetting his old friends.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #12559 on: April 25, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »

Really? You read a biased article written by the Editor of The Jewish Chronicle and that’s what you take from it?
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #12560 on: April 25, 2018, 12:33:47 PM »

Really? You read a biased article written by the Editor of The Jewish Chronicle and that’s what you take from it?

You don’t have to convince me - when the people he met to find away forward still think he’s paying lip service to it, you know he’s still got a problem.

His objective must have been to defuse a political and image problem - and the headlines from the meeting cause more problems than he solved - that’s the reality of where he is now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:59:11 PM by RickBFA » Logged
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12561 on: April 25, 2018, 08:49:15 PM »

I don’t follow politics all that much but I find this whole Labour anti-Semitism (jew (my phone autocorrected that to new so it’s guilty too)) thing odd. Is it that big a deal or another media thing being constantly brought up? I can’t imagine the tories are any better?

Blue text
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #12562 on: April 25, 2018, 08:50:21 PM »

My main point is that we're being bombarded daily with the same messages. One of which is that our new trade deals are unlikely to be as good as our old trade deals - as per this article in the Observer.

You don't need to be an expert in anything other than common fkn sense to work that out.

We voted for worse trade deals?  I thought Brexit was sold as a golden opportunity for better trade deals with the rest of the World?    

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #12563 on: April 25, 2018, 11:36:17 PM »

We voted for worse trade deals?  I thought Brexit was sold as a golden opportunity for better trade deals with the rest of the World?    

Ha!

Didn't think you were one for sarcasm, Doobs.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12564 on: April 25, 2018, 11:53:53 PM »

Ha!

Didn't think you were one for sarcasm, Doobs.

So you're certain the trade deals will be worse. Remind me what the good bits will be again?
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #12565 on: April 26, 2018, 01:51:47 AM »

I don’t follow politics all that much but I find this whole Labour anti-Semitism (jew (my phone autocorrected that to new so it’s guilty too)) thing odd. Is it that big a deal or another media thing being constantly brought up? I can’t imagine the tories are any better?

Totally agree. The whole thing seems blown up into a much bigger issue than it warrants. Does Anti-Semitism exist to any real extent in the UK? I'm not aware of ever coming across it or anyone who was really anti-Jew to the extent of discriminating against them. There are other groups who have a much rougher deal in that they definitely do attract discrimination amongst certain groups. Seems to me that some Jews are very vocal and are on the lookout for anything they can call Anti-Semitism, irrespective of whether it really is or not. They currently have an opportunity due to support from media who it suits to get stuck in for political reasons.

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #12566 on: April 26, 2018, 07:34:36 AM »

Right now, that community is making complaints about Labour and it’s members - not the Tories.

I’m sure a group as vocal as Mint says they are, would be making complaints against the Tories if they felt it was merited.

Given their history, I would think they have reasonable grounds to be vocal about discrimination, wouldn’t you?

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #12567 on: April 26, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »

Totally agree. The whole thing seems blown up into a much bigger issue than it warrants. Does Anti-Semitism exist to any real extent in the UK? I'm not aware of ever coming across it or anyone who was really anti-Jew to the extent of discriminating against them. There are other groups who have a much rougher deal in that they definitely do attract discrimination amongst certain groups. Seems to me that some Jews are very vocal and are on the lookout for anything they can call Anti-Semitism, irrespective of whether it really is or not. They currently have an opportunity due to support from media who it suits to get stuck in for political reasons.

I don't think Labour (as such) has a problem with anti-semitism, I think The Left does (with it's obvious representation in Labour).

Many on the left have a problem with 'The Man' and all it's representations such as big business and big banks (etc.).

Many anti-semites associate Jews with 'The Man' (and big businesses and big banks etc).

This is why the emphasis is on Labour and anti-semitism.

Similarly there might be many more garden variety racists who seen the Conservatives talk tough on immigration and benefit clampdowns and in their minds they associate immigrants with taking all the benefits; so they veer towards the Conservatives.

Labour seems to have a particular problem though. When the racist Tories want to stand as councillors or MPs (and the like), the selection people see the racism (most of the time) and rejects them. When Labour selection people see anti-semitism they don't see it as much of a problem.

Part of the problem is the labelling itself - racism against Jews is called anti-semitism but racism against every other minority is just called racism; which fits in perfectly with the idea that 'there's not much of it, so is it really a problem'. If there's racism in Labour, or the Conservatives, or any other organisation - it's a problem. If there was an outcry against racism in the Conservatives I don't think many people would be measuring the amount of racism to decide whether it's an issue or not.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12568 on: April 26, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »

the far right and the far left have problems (islamophobia, anti-semitism)

Labour's problem is the tacit acceptance by those at the current head of the party..witness Milne's presence as Corbyn's right hand man.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12569 on: April 26, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »

Gove, Rudd and Williamson all amassing five figure sum war chests for leadership bids;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6144712/gove-rudd-williamson-accused-making-secret-bids-tory-leadership/

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 836 837 [838] 839 840 841 842 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: