blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:36:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 1072 1073 [1074] 1075 1076 1077 1078 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180723 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16095 on: January 11, 2019, 09:12:08 AM »

Remember the quotes from Jaguar itt about how devastating Brexit would be

They announced all those job losses yesterday

In reality this was due to issues with China and diesel slow down

See what they did there. It’s like when bad news can be buried because of a bigger news story

As we’ve always been told itt....we haven’t left yet

In reality it is the combination of these 3 things and others, as was stated in many places yesterday.

Jaguar's press release on its sales performance doesn't even mention Brexit:

https://media.jaguarlandrover.com/news/2019/01/jaguar-land-rover-reports-december-2018-and-year-end-sales

We have seen a strong end to the year in North America, Europe and the UK. Sales were up despite challenging market conditions, including regulatory changes and diesel uncertainty, which have impacted sales performance throughout the year. The UK’s performance in particular has been encouraging in a market segment which is down. The economic slowdown in China along with ongoing trade tensions is continuing to influence consumer confidence.

and here, the chief exec doesn't mention Brexit by name in his discussion of the problems

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46822706

"We are taking decisive action to help deliver long-term growth, in the face of multiple geopolitical and regulatory disruptions as well as technology challenges facing the automotive industry," said JLR's chief executive, Ralf Speth.

but people spin it to support their argument, as Simon Jack does as he begins his comments at the bottom of the BBC story

Jaguar Land Rover has been saying for more than a year that Brexit uncertainty would eventually take its toll on the perception of the UK as a stable and competitive base for global manufacturing.

In July last year, the company said it needed more certainty around Brexit in order to continue investing in its UK operations and warned that a "no-deal" Brexit would cost the company more than £1.2bn in profit each year.

A less biassed view than that produced by you and Simon is included here:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103212/jaguar-land-rover-confirms-4500-job-cuts

The company blames a combination of the collapse in the Chinese car market (down 15.4% in October), US trade tariffs, Brexit uncertainty, the drop in diesel sales (which account for around 90% of the company’s sales), confusion over CO2 and the challenges in meeting the latest WLTP fuel and emission test standards.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16096 on: January 11, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »

Yes. You're right of course on this. Plagues just about every element of discussions around Brexit. What do you think of the Betfair odds that longines posted ?

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16097 on: January 11, 2019, 09:57:16 AM »

Yes. You're right of course on this. Plagues just about every element of discussions around Brexit. What do you think of the Betfair odds that longines posted ?

Ha, I have no idea what will happen anymore, it seems like a massive game of chicken between the MPs.  I am fairly surprised they have moved as far as they have, maybe I am too pessimistic?   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #16098 on: January 11, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »

No deal brexit is now almost certainly off the table.

Some sort of brexit will happen.Article 50 will probably need extending/pulling somehow.Then its just the small question of what sort of deal ,when and by which PM  Smiley

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #16099 on: January 11, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »

Seems as if no deal is an absolute no go, if the MP’s have to vote for it anyway.

This deal won’t go through, so when are we going to have this second ref?
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #16100 on: January 11, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »

Seems as if no deal is an absolute no go, if the MP’s have to vote for it anyway.

I may be wrong but I thought the Withdrawal Act meant a No Deal exit is guaranteed on March 29th unless other legislation is passed beforehand?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #16101 on: January 11, 2019, 12:19:50 PM »

Is it possible to reverse the decision on article 50?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #16102 on: January 11, 2019, 12:29:24 PM »

You can extend A50 or revoke it. I am not sure of the position if we keep on voting against deals and it suddenly ends up on 29 March. I think the MP's are clearly in favour of avoiding a no-deal scenario, so I expect them to somehow block it. I think it was clear by what Jeremy Hunt said, that it seems no-deal isn't an option.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #16103 on: January 11, 2019, 12:32:16 PM »

But, amuse me for a second, forget what you voted for or what you want to happen now. Let's say a second vote happens, which will ultimately choose the way to go, what should be on that ballot paper?

Remain / No Deal

Deal / No Deal / Remain

No Deal / Remain

No Deal / Deal

Remain / Deal

That must be a tough ask.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #16104 on: January 11, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »

You can extend A50 or revoke it. I am not sure of the position if we keep on voting against deals and it suddenly ends up on 29 March. I think the MP's are clearly in favour of avoiding a no-deal scenario, so I expect them to somehow block it. I think it was clear by what Jeremy Hunt said, that it seems no-deal isn't an option.

Sounds like it is more unlikely now, however there is still talk of May declaring a GE on April 4th meaning parliament is dissolved and cannot stop a no deal exit.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #16105 on: January 11, 2019, 12:58:02 PM »

But, amuse me for a second, forget what you voted for or what you want to happen now. Let's say a second vote happens, which will ultimately choose the way to go, what should be on that ballot paper?

Remain / No Deal

Deal / No Deal / Remain

No Deal / Remain

No Deal / Deal

Remain / Deal

Deal / New Deal / No Deal / Remain

Surely just so everyone can vote for a fantasy new deal that isn't delivered and we have a third referendum?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #16106 on: January 11, 2019, 01:02:51 PM »

Remember the quotes from Jaguar itt about how devastating Brexit would be

They announced all those job losses yesterday

In reality this was due to issues with China and diesel slow down

See what they did there. It’s like when bad news can be buried because of a bigger news story

As we’ve always been told itt....we haven’t left yet

In reality it is the combination of these 3 things and others, as was stated in many places yesterday.

Jaguar's press release on its sales performance doesn't even mention Brexit:

https://media.jaguarlandrover.com/news/2019/01/jaguar-land-rover-reports-december-2018-and-year-end-sales

We have seen a strong end to the year in North America, Europe and the UK. Sales were up despite challenging market conditions, including regulatory changes and diesel uncertainty, which have impacted sales performance throughout the year. The UK’s performance in particular has been encouraging in a market segment which is down. The economic slowdown in China along with ongoing trade tensions is continuing to influence consumer confidence.

and here, the chief exec doesn't mention Brexit by name in his discussion of the problems

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46822706

"We are taking decisive action to help deliver long-term growth, in the face of multiple geopolitical and regulatory disruptions as well as technology challenges facing the automotive industry," said JLR's chief executive, Ralf Speth.

but people spin it to support their argument, as Simon Jack does as he begins his comments at the bottom of the BBC story

Jaguar Land Rover has been saying for more than a year that Brexit uncertainty would eventually take its toll on the perception of the UK as a stable and competitive base for global manufacturing.

In July last year, the company said it needed more certainty around Brexit in order to continue investing in its UK operations and warned that a "no-deal" Brexit would cost the company more than £1.2bn in profit each year.

A less biassed view than that produced by you and Simon is included here:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103212/jaguar-land-rover-confirms-4500-job-cuts

The company blames a combination of the collapse in the Chinese car market (down 15.4% in October), US trade tariffs, Brexit uncertainty, the drop in diesel sales (which account for around 90% of the company’s sales), confusion over CO2 and the challenges in meeting the latest WLTP fuel and emission test standards.

Virtually everyone spins a biased view...not just me and Simon

Just logged onto Bloomberg business news to be greeted by the bolded headline..

JAGUAR TO SLASH 4,500 JOBS IN BREXIT SLUMP

Jaguar did spin a biased view during Brexit aftermath...Ralph Speth said no change to trade agreement would protect 40,000 jobs...which he has now ‘slashed’ by 11% before any change has been agreed or confirmed

I don’t want to spin a biased view but needs must when battling so many biased views

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16107 on: January 11, 2019, 01:48:54 PM »

Revoking A50 can be done unilaterally by the UK, as determined by the recent EU court case.

Extending A50 requires the agreement of the EU27 to do so.  The consensus seems to be that this would be feasible in advance of either a general election or 2nd referendum, but wouldn't be granted just to allow more time for the current Parliament to try and reach some sort of majority verdict on what it would like.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16108 on: January 11, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »

Remain / No Deal

Deal / No Deal / Remain

No Deal / Remain

No Deal / Deal

Remain / Deal

The best option for me would be a two part referendum done at a single poll.

Part 1: A simple in/out decision, equivalent to the previous one.

Part 2: Some form of question regarding the method of exit, assuming that the 1st one generates a majority to leave.  It could be based on a specific deal/no-deal scenario but might be better framed around single market + Customs union + no Irish border issue vs no customs union + no single market + Northern Ireland special status, which are the two distinct options.  The first vote's failure to tackle this issue is the fundamental problem we've been dealing with for 2.5 years, particularly as there was a widely held consensus that we could cherry pick our way into an impossible combination of these.

At least this way, anyone voting to Remain would still have a say on methodology of exit if the first vote was lost.  Doing it as two separate votes would be impractical and far less decisive as I doubt many remain voters would bother to vote in the follow up referendum.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16109 on: January 11, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »

Remain / No Deal

Deal / No Deal / Remain

No Deal / Remain

No Deal / Deal

Remain / Deal

The best option for me would be a two part referendum done at a single poll.

Part 1: A simple in/out decision, equivalent to the previous one.

Part 2: Some form of question regarding the method of exit, assuming that the 1st one generates a majority to leave.  It could be based on a specific deal/no-deal scenario but might be better framed around single market + Customs union + no Irish border issue vs no customs union + no single market + Northern Ireland special status, which are the two distinct options.  The first vote's failure to tackle this issue is the fundamental problem we've been dealing with for 2.5 years, particularly as there was a widely held consensus that we could cherry pick our way into an impossible combination of these.

At least this way, anyone voting to Remain would still have a say on methodology of exit if the first vote was lost.  Doing it as two separate votes would be impractical and far less decisive as I doubt many remain voters would bother to vote in the follow up referendum.

I understand where you're coming from but part 2 is way too complicated for the large majority of disinterested people. I think the most that can be expected from a referendum is for people to express a direction based on their feelings/preference/instinct - not based on a deep understanding or fundamental interest in the subject.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 1072 1073 [1074] 1075 1076 1077 1078 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: