blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:19:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1467 1468 1469 1470 [1471] 1472 1473 1474 1475 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180774 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22050 on: November 17, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »

Breaking - Russia may have had an impact on the result of the Brexit referendum, according to a secret intelligence report suppressed by Downing Street. See Sunday Times tomorrow

Thank God for Prince Andrew 😉

At least that interview drew a line under the whole thing.

What could he possibly have hoped to achieve with that interview ? One of the problems with being accused of something is that unless you have a cast iron alibi it's very hard to defend yourself. So why do it unless you're actually in court. Just looked like he was lying the whole way through

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22051 on: November 17, 2019, 12:02:49 PM »

I think my experience is very limited with women - loved the line where he had to rack his brain to think if he'd ever had sex in one of Epstein's homes. In my rather sheltered life I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to rack my brain to remember if that had happened

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22052 on: November 17, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »

Sky News confirms Prince Andrew's PR adviser Jason Stein resigned over the Duke's decision to agree to the interview with the BBC

Woking 9-to-5 for the royal familly, what a way to make a living

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22053 on: November 17, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »

I was faffing around in my garage yesterday and a young lady bowled up sporting a red rosette. I asked her if she was the Labour candidate and she was. She chatted with me for 20 minutes or so which really quite surprised me as I made clear from the outset that I would struggle to vote Labour this time.

There were a lot of points where I found myself reaching a bit for reasons not to vote Labour in the knowledge that they would probably out spend the Tories in the area of benefits, social care, NHS.

I asked about things like the universality approach on free fibre broadband and she could only come up with 90% of Japan has high speed, i explained that I remember dial up and since I'm not a gamer or a designer I found my internet speed just fine and didn't feel I needed free faster broadband. I also said if the plan was to give all people without an income a free PC and free broadband I might support that but I could never support her giving it to me for free. The best she could come up with was that it's more expensive to differentiate/means test versus giving to all. Such a lazy argument. Somehow in this segment of the conversation she threw in that Tories, especially IDS wanted to 'punish the poor'. I asked if she really believed that anyone sets out to do that and she was certain that's exactly what they aimed to do.

I asked her why she thought a Government should intervene in failed businesses like Mothercare and Thomas cook. The answer to that was some kind of marxist perspective on the bosses taking all the money out of these businesses and so why should the workers suffer and had I seen what was happening in our high streets. It felt like a strand of Marxist/Canutism but I could be persuaded that we should all wear the same outfit and all shops be owned by the state.

I asked her why the Labour party had changed their view on implementing the result of the referendum - she said they hadn't - I guess you pay your money and take your choice on that.

I asked her why she felt someone should be given the right to buy a home that I might own and rent out. She gave me a long discourse on Thatcher selling council houses and people owning empty second homes in Cornwall and she wanted to ensure they paid 'much higher tax' for the privilege.

I asked her why we would pay £500m a week more for drugs if we implement Brexit - cue discourse on Tories wanting to sell the NHS but no supporting info.

There were a lot of other things that I don't remember. As we parted, I told her she had nearly persuaded me but not quite - still might vote for her because I have voted on other criteria than politics in the past, she was young, female, Asian and so, genuinely, she ticks quite a few boxes on my diversity and inclusion check list. Also her boyfriend was a refugee from the job situation designed by the EU in Greece so I felt a bit sorry for her.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22054 on: November 17, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »

One other thing, she asked me something along the lines - 'when has the press or other Media ever been positive about a Labour leader other than Tony Blair ?'. She did a simultaneous eye roll when she said Tony Blair.

I mentioned, Harold Wilson, Neil Kinnock began to gain some traction and positive reviews that ultimately resulted in an electable Labour party, John Smith and to a small extent, even Gordon Brown. The conversation didn't go anywhere but this belief that 'everyone is against them' rather than 'not everyone agrees with them' is a major reason why they don't gain the mass appeal that Labour under Blair achieved.

sola virtus nobilitat
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22055 on: November 17, 2019, 12:52:51 PM »

That 500 mill drug thing is complete horseshit. The NHS is really effective at keeping the cost of drugs down in the UK, we pay a lot less than a big chunk of other European countries because of that. There is no reason why that will change unless a govt deliberately chucks a load of money at the NHS specifically for that which just wouldn’t make any sense.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22056 on: November 17, 2019, 12:54:49 PM »

One other thing, she asked me something along the lines - 'when has the press or other Media ever been positive about a Labour leader other than Tony Blair ?'. She did a simultaneous eye roll when she said Tony Blair.

I mentioned, Harold Wilson, Neil Kinnock began to gain some traction and positive reviews that ultimately resulted in an electable Labour party, John Smith and to a small extent, even Gordon Brown. The conversation didn't go anywhere but this belief that 'everyone is against them' rather than 'not everyone agrees with them' is a major reason why they don't gain the mass appeal that Labour under Blair achieved.

It goes back to when has the press had any real reason to be positive about a labour leader? They keep choosing terrible ones, if they had chosen David Milliband they would be on a completely different path now and could well be in number 10.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22057 on: November 17, 2019, 04:56:10 PM »

There were a lot of other things that I don't remember. As we parted, I told her she had nearly persuaded me but not quite - still might vote for her because I have voted on other criteria than politics in the past, she was young, female, Asian and so, genuinely, she ticks quite a few boxes on my diversity and inclusion check list. Also her boyfriend was a refugee from the job situation designed by the EU in Greece so I felt a bit sorry for her.

Not sure where you are in the UK, but hopefully it wasn't Zarah Sultana.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #22058 on: November 17, 2019, 05:37:59 PM »

Not sure where you are in the UK, but hopefully it wasn't Zarah Sultana.

If it was IDS's constituency it was Faiza Shaheen. Often on TV political shows....so knows how to answer tricky/impossible questions  Smiley
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22059 on: November 17, 2019, 05:52:27 PM »

Here she is with Jeremy.

https://www.hemellabour.org.uk/news/2019/11/02/61/

sola virtus nobilitat
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #22060 on: November 17, 2019, 06:07:08 PM »

A couple of days ago I asked Facebook who they are voting for by just naming their party only. It got 40 comments the last time I looked.

Most of it was predictable, but I was surprised that not one person said they would for Brexit Party.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22061 on: November 17, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »

latest Brexit Blog post on the week's developments including analysis of Farage's new stance, prospects for the remain vote, why Swinson is making a mistake, problems of a 'Canada style' deal, how we are flying blind into Brexit - and more.

Just up: https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2019/11/and-there-are-still-four-weeks-to-go.html

He talks a great deal of sense, as always, it’s a crazy world when the Lib/Lab alliance has to be organised without the involvement of either party.

Great to see you back David, hope you are feeling better now.

Good morning

Long way to go but I should be confirmed cancer free on December 3rd 😊. Just incredibly lucky that I got glandular fever, or it almost certainly would have been found too late.

Good to see you back here and sounds like good news for you. Did you undergo a bunch of treatment?

Partial kidney removal, still waiting on a suspect mass in my lung but all signs are good and I’m feeling more well than I have in about a year, no immunotherapy at this stage. Would be gold if Boris rolled up in The Lister cancer ward on Dec 3rd 😊.

All the best - sounds positive.

+1 fingers crossed  Smiley

Good luck for December kukushkin.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22062 on: November 18, 2019, 03:37:14 PM »

"How could such a sane, stable democracy so lose its way? I always struggle for an answer."

"The pollsters think a Conservative majority more likely. If they are right, Britain will leave the EU at the end of January 2020 and then spend the next several years trying to decide what that means."

One thing is certain: Britain’s election will not settle Brexit
Fundamental questions about the country’s direction will remain unanswered

https://www.ft.com/content/3a48356e-0629-11ea-a984-fbbacad9e7dd?segmentId=635a35f9-12b4-dbf5-9fe6-6b8e6ffb143e
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 03:39:13 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22063 on: November 18, 2019, 03:38:40 PM »

With CON at 42% in the polls So far, and contrary to what Twitter Land has told us repeatedly since late summer, it seems that the Boris Johnson strategy of unifying the various Leaver clans by framing this as an existential, high-stakes contest is ... working.

Remain side far less unified, sleepwalking into a hard Brexit by the inability to think strategically and partner up

My eyes are open wide
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #22064 on: November 18, 2019, 08:35:16 PM »

The Sheffield Hallam seat looks like one of the most interesting

2017:

Labour - 21,881
Lib Dem - 19,756
Con - 13,561
Pages: 1 ... 1467 1468 1469 1470 [1471] 1472 1473 1474 1475 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: