blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:16:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Cilla Black
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cilla Black  (Read 2125 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2015, 01:51:52 PM »

RIP

I know she obviously had achieved a great many things before it, but for me an absolute legend on a Saturday night in the 1990s. Catchphrase, then Blind Date, then Family Fortunes. That was when telly was good.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:00:04 PM »

R.I.P Cilla

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Pawprint

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »

Really weird how BBC News and BBC Online aren't mentioning this story at all currently.

(Story up now)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:49:15 PM by Pawprint » Logged

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 03:16:51 PM »

RIP Cilla. Part of everyone's growing up. 

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 06:08:44 PM »

the more you read, the more you realise what a remarkable career she had

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:52:42 AM »

This piece was written, surprisingly, in 1969, by Nik Cohn. WP him.

It's true—the British don't like their girl singers to be too good, they think it smacks of emancipation, and Cilla at least seemed safe. Obviously, she was quite a nice girl. Also, she was respectable and reliable, very clean and quite unsexy, and she played daughter or maybe kid sister, steady date or fiancée, but she played nobody's mistress at all. She wasn't like that. Everyone patronised her like hell, waiting for her to fall, but then she didn't fall after all, she floated instead and she's still up there now. She won't ever come down either—she doesn't sing much, she still comes on like a schoolgirl but she's liked like that and she can't go wrong. Genuinely, she's warm and she makes people glow. In her time, she will grow into a pop Gracie Fields, much loved entertainer, and she'll become institutionalised.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:59:28 AM »

RIP

I know she obviously had achieved a great many things before it, but for me an absolute legend on a Saturday night in the 1990s. Catchphrase, then Blind Date, then Family Fortunes. That was when telly was good.

Not sure I buy that, Barry, but I never watched "light entertainment" as it was known at the time, most especially at weekends, so I'm not best placed to comment.

For me, memories of Cilla are in her pop days, when she was a huge name. 

Very much looked after by the Beatles, who wrote most of her stuff. She was managed by Epstein originally, who I seem to recall had all the Mersey beat groups under management - Jerry & the Pacemakers, Billy J Kramer, all that lot.

Weird to think, but when Cilla Black (real name White...) burst onto the scene, there was no internet, no mobile 'phones, no I-pods or Walkman's. Seems a lifetime ago, & I suppose it was.

She loved her husband to bits, but he died in 1999. He had been her post-Epstein Manager, & after he died, one of her sons became her Manager, which must be quite unusual.

Doubt a breath of scandal was ever attached to her name, despite 50 years in the public eye. Impressive, that.

RIP Cilla.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »

Always thought she come across as a terribly fake two faced type on TV in her TV prime.  Living off this working class Liverpool image/accent (which was her act on TV pretty much - lorra lorra laughs etc so cringeworthy.  Would happily lay anyone 100/1 she ever said that phrase in real life surrounded by her upper class friends) whereas in real life she was just a massive social climber who had nothing at all in common with working class people from Liverpool and spoke in a totally different manner to her 'act' on tv.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:27:57 PM by arbboy » Logged
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »

Always thought she come across as a terribly fake two faced type on TV in her TV prime.  Living off this working class Liverpool image/accent (which was her act on TV pretty much - lorra lorra laughs etc so cringeworthy.  Would happily lay anyone 100/1 she ever said that phrase in real life surrounded by her upper class friends) whereas in real life she was just a massive social climber who had nothing at all in common with working class people from Liverpool and spoke in a totally different manner to her 'act' on tv.

If I were to accept your bet how much could I have on and what would you accept as proof that she did?

PS- I'm not much of a Cilla fan, especially after reading her biography, but I think your comments are unduly harsh, ill timed and unsound.

Edit.

My PPS comment was uncalled for. I apologise. I've removed it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:34:07 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:35:59 PM »

I was never a massive Cilla fan, mostly because she was the mother-in-law's favourite, but if her worst crime was having a different voice on telly, to that IRL, then she wasn't doing a lot wrong.
Really didn't like Surprise Surprise, but loved Blind Date.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 09:18:52 PM »

In very unsurprising news, Katie Hopkins can go fuck herself.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: