blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:32:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Bet different with I-Pools
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bet different with I-Pools  (Read 28332 times)
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2015, 12:03:39 PM »

Stakesandladders, the UK's pools betting network, has changed its name to I-Pools (www.i-pools.co.uk).

To celebrate this we are offering the following:

1. £10 referral bonus if you refer a friend to our site.
2. £25 matched deposit bonus for existing users.
3. Big guarantees on pools for the start of the PL Football season (there will likely be huge overlays to take advantage of).

We believe that peer-to-peer pools betting is the future of punting. Unlike the bookies, we don't turn anyone away... winners are welcome!

Rake on our pools (can be as little as 3%) is very low compared to either over-rounds at the bookies or other pools-based games such as fantasy football sites.

We have a huge variety of different pools games to play - I will be introducing many of these games in this thread. All our pools games have a few things in common though:

• They have a balance of skill and luck. Knowledge of sport and out-thinking the other entrants is important, but there is also plenty of luck involved which means everyone has a chance to win any pool, and those who enter just for a fun punt are not heavily penalised.
  • All our pools offer a great sweat. It is exciting and fun to be watching a sporting event whilst seeing your pool entry move up and down the leaderboard in real-time as the action unfolds, and comparing your answers to other users (with our easy to use interface) to know what you need to happen to win the pool.
  • Users are not betting against 'the house' - they are playing a game vs other users, backing their judgement against the other entrants.

I hope those Blonde members who have been playing on S&L over the last 18 months will continue to support I-Pools, and that those who have not had a go yet will give us a try and see what we have to offer. It is a different form of punting to what most people are used to, but the pools are very easy to enter and a lot of fun.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »

Introducing our Last Longest pools.

Pick a team every week to win. If your selection wins then you progress to the next week. If not, you are eliminated. The 'last man standing' scoops the prizepool.

Click to see full-size image.

There is a surprising amount of knowledge and strategy involved in these pools. Obviously it helps to be a reasonable judge so you can pick teams that are likely to win each week. But because you cannot pick the same team twice, it is also very important to think a bit about exactly when you pick each team: simply picking all the best teams in the first few weeks might not be the best strategy. This is especially important in knockout competitions, but also applies to league based ones.

If you do get knocked out in any week then you can still be in action because there will be another Last Longest starting the following week.

This week's Championship Last Longest closes for entry tonight, just before the first games kick off.

This week's Premier League Last Longest closes tomorrow, before kick off. We have put a ridiculous guarantee on the £1 entry PL Last Longest pool - a £250 prize pool! We are fully aware that this pool is likely to overlay chunks, but this is our philosophy with guarantees... we set them at levels where we EXPECT an overlay. It gives our users 'free value' and thus gives them an additional reason to keep returning to our site.

So come and get involved, snap up the value and see if you can outlast the competition!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:14:41 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »

We believe that peer-to-peer pools betting is the future of punting. Unlike the bookies, we don't turn anyone away... winners are welcome!

Rake on our pools (can be as little as 3%) is very low compared to either over-rounds at the bookies or other pools-based games such as fantasy football sites.

Probably best not to use the exact same marketing strategy that helped put Betfair way behind the other online bookies.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:04:26 PM »

Probably best not to use the exact same marketing strategy that helped put Betfair way behind the other online bookies.

Thanks, interesting point Smiley

Tbh, that is not the official I-Pools marketing strategy (I assume for good reason based on what you have said!). Everything I post on this thread is just gonna be my own stuff. Nobody at I-Pools writes (or 'signs off') my posts here. I am a founder and (small) part owner of the site and want to see it succeed obviously. So I appreciate the advice, as I will also appreciate any further ideas/feedback from you or anyone else on I-Pools.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:30:10 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 03:25:40 PM »

Introducing our Fantasy Pools.

We run fantasy-style games on many different sports, not just football. Most of these fantasy pools only last a few days, rather than an entire season (i.e. one game week for the PL pools, the duration of a single tournament for golf etc). Our aim has been to make our fantasy pools much simpler than the traditional fantasy football type of game. For example, in our football pools we do not have transfer budgets and users only choose 5 players (in a 1-1-2-1 five-a-side formation).

These pools are very quick and easy to enter, but there is obviously a decent amount of strategy involved in making your picks. You get a good sweat for a few days, but your money is not tied up over an entire season.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 04:39:04 PM »

Tbh, that is not the official I-Pools marketing strategy (I assume for good reason based on what you have said!). Everything I post on this thread is just gonna be my own stuff. Nobody at I-Pools writes (or 'signs off') my posts here. I am a founder and (small) part owner of the site and want to see it succeed obviously. So I appreciate the advice, as I will also appreciate any further ideas/feedback from you or anyone else on I-Pools.

No worries - it's just the 'winners are welcome' bit stuck out. Betfair used the exact same tagline, the exchange became filled with shrewdies and bots whilst ice creams got put off by all the scary numbers and put their bets on with PP or Bet365 at worse odds.
TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »

So I get a £5 signup bonus when I sign up? Is there any code to enter where I can get higher?
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 05:14:50 PM »

So I get a £5 signup bonus when I sign up? Is there any code to enter where I can get higher?

Yes that is correct. When you register we give you £5 worth of 'points' that can be used to enter a five £1 pools (or one £5 pool) to try I-Pools out.

There is no code to enter to get more. However, if you make a deposit onto the site we will match it (up to £25). All we ask if that you use the deposit to actually enter some pools. Once you have entered £25 worth of pools we will credit you with £25 worth of points to enter further pools with.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 05:42:20 PM »

Introducing our Predikta game, run in partnership with Predikta.com.

Predict the results of the weekend's PL matches. Choose one match to be your 'banker' and score double points. As with all our games, you don't need to get every result correct... you just need to be more accurate in your predictions that the other entrants. We do not have different entry levels for Predikta, just one £5 entry pool.

This is one of our more skillful games and obviously having a decent knowledge of football is important (of course there is still plenty of luck involved, so even an ice-cream like me has a chance). Nevertheless, it is extremely simple to enter. And you can end up with a great sweat, especially if you have scored well on the Saturday fixtures and know that if things go well in the Sunday/Monday fixtures you have a big chance of winning.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:45:06 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »

Introducing our Last Longest pools.

Pick a team every week to win. If your selection wins then you progress to the next week. If not, you are eliminated. The 'last man standing' scoops the prizepool.

There is a surprising amount of knowledge and strategy involved in these pools. Obviously it helps to be a reasonable judge so you can pick teams that are likely to win each week. But because you cannot pick the same team twice, it is also very important to think a bit about exactly when you pick each team: simply picking all the best teams in the first few weeks might not be the best strategy. This is especially important in knockout competitions, but also applies to league based ones.

If you do get knocked out in any week then you can still be in action because there will be another Last Longest starting the following week.

This week's Championship Last Longest closes for entry tonight, just before the first games kick off.

This week's Premier League Last Longest closes tomorrow, before kick off. We have put a ridiculous guarantee on the £1 entry PL Last Longest pool - a £250 prize pool! We are fully aware that this pool is likely to overlay chunks, but this is our philosophy with guarantees... we set them at levels where we EXPECT an overlay. It gives our users 'free value' and thus gives them an additional reason to keep returning to our site.

So come and get involved, snap up the value and see if you can outlast the competition!

Are you giving Blonde royalties for this? ( http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=64608.0 )

Doesn't have to be cash, I'm sure Vinny will accept Nando's.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 06:41:43 PM »

Are you giving Blonde royalties for this? ( http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=64608.0 )

Doesn't have to be cash, I'm sure Vinny will accept Nando's.

Ha ha. Tbh this has been a bit of an issue for me when posting about I-Pools/S&L on Blonde. I know there is already a culture of running pools games on the forum, especially by Mere Novice. And I do not want to undermine these. For example, when we ran our fantasy WSOP pool I deliberately did not mention it on Blonde at all until after entry to Mere's pool had already closed (I entered Mere's pool too).

I did make a suggestion that Blonde could use I-Pools (well, S&L as it was then) to host their Blonde pools games, and we would have given a big chunk of the revenue from these to Blonde. But it became clear that most people were happy to continue having them organised and run directly through threads on Blonde. I am guessing that this is still the case, and I can understand that completely. So I do not want to compete with the pools that run on Blonde, and definitely do not want to step on any toes in this thread.

If Blonde members (or anyone) ever do want to run private pools on I-Pools then this is great, and please get in touch. We already run quite a few private pools on our site... you just won't see them in the lobby since they are only visible to those with permission to enter.

In the meantime, I hope that Blondes will enter our pools AS WELL AS rather than instead of the Blonde-run pools.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 06:44:39 PM »

Introducing our Quickie Pools.

These are one of my favourite pools on the site, mainly because they are so simple and don't require much (any?) thought to enter. On the skill and luck continuum they are the closest to being heavily luck-based - which, as a mug who likes a punt, is what I am personally looking for first and foremost (I realise this will not apply to many of those reading this ofc).

All you have to do is answer 10 Yes/No questions. Most of the questions are designed to be roughly 50/50s. I feel I can just have a pure punt with these pools, pretty much choosing my answers at random, since I am not giving up too much. Of course, I am sure some users put lots of thought into their answers and gain an edge over a random button clicker like me. But I don't really care. I love the fact I can enter one of these pools in just a few seconds, but still get to have a sweat throughout the weekend.

Here is a screenshot of tonight's Championship Quickie:

We also have games that are not strictly 'Quickie Pools', but follow the same format. One of the most popular is the Both Teams to Score pool. I admit I do put a little thought into this one, mostly trying to decide on which questions I should go against the crowd and pick an answer that I think few people will choose. Of course, being an ice-cream I'm always biased towards saying that both teams will score, since this is the 'high morale bet' (you're still in it until the final whistle blows, and you are rooting for something to happen, not against it).

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:46:25 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »

Does somebody want to refer me in so they get £10 referral bonus?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »

No worries - it's just the 'winners are welcome' bit stuck out. Betfair used the exact same tagline, the exchange became filled with shrewdies and bots whilst ice creams got put off by all the scary numbers and put their bets on with PP or Bet365 at worse odds.

I can see people getting put off by decimal odds, but were they really put off by winners are welcome?  Most people either think they win or think they run bad and should win.   You just have to spend 2 minutes on their forums to realise all losers aren't put off!  And of course Betfair absolutely crushed all opposition in the exchange business and they certainly aren't behind several others online offerings either. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
engy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 09:23:41 PM »

ill refer you dazzler Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: