blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:11:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530924 times)
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: February 09, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »

Week 2 session 1 completed at 6am and felt easier than week 1 so will try and up the reps to 17/18 for the 4 sets on Thursday

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 09, 2016, 10:34:26 AM »

Changed my squat technique today to get quite a lot lower than normal. I've not been going past parallel up to now but with my new confidence I thought I'd give it a go.

Only went up to 80kg and only did sets of 6 at that but I was getting much lower than previously. Going to stick to this for now so Harvey can calm down as I'm not going to be catching him up any more.

Haha, I did that transition about a year ago, I get as 'low as I can now', hopefully working on mobility I will be able to get lower. But my current strength/flexibility levels I am gong as low as I can on the given day.

Amazing what confidence can do though, I would not be surprised at all to see you up at 100.

Next Sunday? Possibility for a team session?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 09, 2016, 10:37:55 AM »

Read through posts since I've last been here. Good job guys keep getting them gains 😊

I took a 2 week break recovering from a concussion. Still feel it a little bit. The advice on what to do with one is varied. Complete rest is touted in places but also a progressive return to activity. That's what I have done, last few days I have been jogging, building up to a leg day at the gym tonight which went well. Feel ok. Feel like it will linger for a while though which isnt good.

Quick question. I generally have a rep range of 6-12. I want to know if I should be pushing to failure in that range, or is taking it easier at just shy of failure ok for better toleration (where I could probably do 2 more reps but I will be heavily strained)?

Ta.

Do not want to mess about with concussion, I am no expert, but I would always advise on the rest side with that. You just don't know what could happen. I know they are constantly trying to improve the research/guidelines/protocols for impact sports. You just don't know how these guys end up in X years.

The reason why you would choose a range like that is to get to failure. Choose 8-10, pick a weight where 8 is tough, rep out the sets until you can't get 8. If you can do like 25 sets, you weight is too light, if you go 10, 8, 8 you are pretty much bang on.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 09, 2016, 01:12:18 PM »

Changed my squat technique today to get quite a lot lower than normal. I've not been going past parallel up to now but with my new confidence I thought I'd give it a go.

Only went up to 80kg and only did sets of 6 at that but I was getting much lower than previously. Going to stick to this for now so Harvey can calm down as I'm not going to be catching him up any more.

Haha, I did that transition about a year ago, I get as 'low as I can now', hopefully working on mobility I will be able to get lower. But my current strength/flexibility levels I am gong as low as I can on the given day.

Amazing what confidence can do though, I would not be surprised at all to see you up at 100.

I noticed a big clicking noise in my knees on the first rep of each set which isn't ideal but doesn't cause any concern.

I have to use plates under my heels to be able to drive through my heels and maintain balance but again that doesn't worry me. I did notice that by going lower I was having to use my toes a little bit for stability on the last couple of reps. As long as it's minimal it doesn't bother me too much so I won't change anything because of it.

Legs are aching a bit at the moment but it's a good ache.

Next Sunday as in Sunday 14th? Can't see any reason why not at the moment. Certainly no plans for Saturday night so that particular problem isn't an issue.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 09, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »

Back to the question about the use of PED's.  I think we know by now that almost every sport in the world to some extent has athletes who are breaking the rules, that is not to say that every competitor is at it, but I almost certainly convinced that those at the top of their respective sports are using something.  The problem is, for me that we now have so much technology/science/different training techniques than what was available even 10 years, 15 years ago - so obviously there are going to be vast improvements.  And no doubt going forward records will be broken again. 

In my sport, I know of a handful of athletes who I have either trained with or competed against who were juiced.  That took various forms there were in the early days guys taking dianabol like it was going out of fashion looking to get that edge and there were guys using amphetamine based products to help with weight control and keep them in lower weight categories.  As time has moved on PEDS have become more advanced.  Each time a new drug gets tested there is someone cooking up something new to beat the testers. 

For PED use became more rife in the UK on the back of Lotto Funding, for competitive athletes there were so many incentives to keeping that funding.  It could involve giving up your job, training full time, gaining access to better coaching/facilities ability to afford good physio etc.   This is further multiplied in spectator driven sports where on the back of a few decent results you can pick up sponsorship.  In a sport like Weightlifting, there aren't many Brits who have an opportunity of hitting the top.  Our best chances of success are CW's but when you look at some of the lifting being done at European, Olympic and World level it put's things into perspective.   

You then look at results from particular nations and then you see the number of athletes who have been banned for positive tests.   I live in hope for a world that is clean, but for as long as there is money to be made then there will always be come level of cheating. 

Incidentally I know of 3 chaps who went to Sofia in the late 90's who trained under the great Abadjiev (sp) who made remarkable gains, I believe them all to have been clean.  The training they spoke of was lots of assistance work, training 6/7 times per day but doing sessions for as short as 10 minutes, then having some sessions for a maximum of 35 minutes.   Always working at 85 - 100% before tapering for comps.  Much emphasis was put on power work, plyometrics,  stretching, and working on every part of the body.  Dietary wise back then it was carb/protein overload but like the training it was eating small but eating often.  I also think this coincided with me seeing heavy weighted good mornings!!!  That made me weep, but it seemed to work.   

I have heard of 10-30 min sessions, but the only two coaches I know of that support it are certainly assisted athletes. So I don't know how helpful it is for a natural athlete.

Martin Mac who gives us some nutritional mentoring works with a female WL, not sure her name but he was over in the US last summer. Pretty sure she is natural and I think she placed. So not sure how much use is in female WL.

I find it so fascinating though, how you can use others to lower your markers etc. You are right though, when there is money in it, people will always try to be the best. i.e. fitness models, even the bikini girls are using now to keep lean all year round. Fascinating stuff, as I am including more walking I want to find some podcasts on it. I am not sure how many people actually understand it, as hormones are so complicated. Listening to a piece on insulin today and the amount of other hormones that get brought in just on one mechanism is crazy.

Who are the names you learn off in your circle? Do you go into nutrition with your athletes or do you let a dietician take over?

I wrote out a pretty detailed reply to this yesterday but I have managed to not post it.  In short. 

Dietary Advice - fast moving, always changing I give some basics but if the boys want a long term diet plan and a full assessment I'd suggest a nutritionist or dietician.  We have a decent link with Smart-tec and they are always willing to help out in that regard.    For the basic I advise try and have protein with every meal, eat often, carbs should only be before training, try and get a decent supply of iron and zinc. 

My circle - interesting one, I have a host of people on hand but my default is Alex Richardson, he's a top level coach, coached me for years runs a great club makes training fun and is always full of energy and passion for his athletes.  He has 2 sons aged 16 and 14 both are going to do big things in Weightlifting I feel.  The oldest has broke just about every British record on his way up and at 15 holds records in under 18/20 age groups at British level.  He's a little behind the Youth record (23 age group) but has a few years to make that.    His younger brother Blondie is ripping up Dan's records and is outgrowing him.  I suspect by the time Blondie is a senior he will be a 105kg or 105+ lifter.   Reminds me of Tommy Neil who competed at 3 Commonwealth games, only he's technically better and loves training. 

We done a group session on Saturday with 7 under 18's and the place was buzzing.  Record after record tumbling, they obviously don't count till comp but the belief it gives the young guys is amazing and then the praise they get from social media from their peers.  I sometimes wish we had facebook when I was younger.  Our "Wee Bear" Jason at aged 15 done a double clean and a jerk at 132kg weighing about 78kg.  He's a little over just now due to a 4 week break over Christmas/New Year.  So strong.  Him and Dan going toe to toe in the snatch balance, Dan has more flexibility, slightly better technically in the snatch but Jason lifts more being the heavier lifter.   On snatch Balance Dan was doing 122kg for singles, best snatch of 95kg.  So when he starts comp lifts he has a real strong base.  Jason done a treble at 120kg but couldn't get the 122kg.   He was raging.  I love how competitive our boys are but they are best of mates.   
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 09, 2016, 03:36:18 PM »

I noticed a big clicking noise in my knees on the first rep of each set which isn't ideal but doesn't cause any concern.

I have to use plates under my heels to be able to drive through my heels and maintain balance but again that doesn't worry me. I did notice that by going lower I was having to use my toes a little bit for stability on the last couple of reps. As long as it's minimal it doesn't bother me too much so I won't change anything because of it.

Legs are aching a bit at the moment but it's a good ache.

Next Sunday as in Sunday 14th? Can't see any reason why not at the moment. Certainly no plans for Saturday night so that particular problem isn't an issue.

I use plates under mine, although I got some new trainers with a slightly higher heel, so I don't use them at the minute. But no problem with them .

Sunday after, 21st I think Sean said?

Yeah never to sure what to make of clicking, I kinda just ignore it unless I am in pain.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 09, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »

Back to the question about the use of PED's.  I think we know by now that almost every sport in the world to some extent has athletes who are breaking the rules, that is not to say that every competitor is at it, but I almost certainly convinced that those at the top of their respective sports are using something.  The problem is, for me that we now have so much technology/science/different training techniques than what was available even 10 years, 15 years ago - so obviously there are going to be vast improvements.  And no doubt going forward records will be broken again. 

In my sport, I know of a handful of athletes who I have either trained with or competed against who were juiced.  That took various forms there were in the early days guys taking dianabol like it was going out of fashion looking to get that edge and there were guys using amphetamine based products to help with weight control and keep them in lower weight categories.  As time has moved on PEDS have become more advanced.  Each time a new drug gets tested there is someone cooking up something new to beat the testers. 

For PED use became more rife in the UK on the back of Lotto Funding, for competitive athletes there were so many incentives to keeping that funding.  It could involve giving up your job, training full time, gaining access to better coaching/facilities ability to afford good physio etc.   This is further multiplied in spectator driven sports where on the back of a few decent results you can pick up sponsorship.  In a sport like Weightlifting, there aren't many Brits who have an opportunity of hitting the top.  Our best chances of success are CW's but when you look at some of the lifting being done at European, Olympic and World level it put's things into perspective.   

You then look at results from particular nations and then you see the number of athletes who have been banned for positive tests.   I live in hope for a world that is clean, but for as long as there is money to be made then there will always be come level of cheating. 

Incidentally I know of 3 chaps who went to Sofia in the late 90's who trained under the great Abadjiev (sp) who made remarkable gains, I believe them all to have been clean.  The training they spoke of was lots of assistance work, training 6/7 times per day but doing sessions for as short as 10 minutes, then having some sessions for a maximum of 35 minutes.   Always working at 85 - 100% before tapering for comps.  Much emphasis was put on power work, plyometrics,  stretching, and working on every part of the body.  Dietary wise back then it was carb/protein overload but like the training it was eating small but eating often.  I also think this coincided with me seeing heavy weighted good mornings!!!  That made me weep, but it seemed to work.   

I have heard of 10-30 min sessions, but the only two coaches I know of that support it are certainly assisted athletes. So I don't know how helpful it is for a natural athlete.

Martin Mac who gives us some nutritional mentoring works with a female WL, not sure her name but he was over in the US last summer. Pretty sure she is natural and I think she placed. So not sure how much use is in female WL.

I find it so fascinating though, how you can use others to lower your markers etc. You are right though, when there is money in it, people will always try to be the best. i.e. fitness models, even the bikini girls are using now to keep lean all year round. Fascinating stuff, as I am including more walking I want to find some podcasts on it. I am not sure how many people actually understand it, as hormones are so complicated. Listening to a piece on insulin today and the amount of other hormones that get brought in just on one mechanism is crazy.

Who are the names you learn off in your circle? Do you go into nutrition with your athletes or do you let a dietician take over?

I wrote out a pretty detailed reply to this yesterday but I have managed to not post it.  In short. 

Dietary Advice - fast moving, always changing I give some basics but if the boys want a long term diet plan and a full assessment I'd suggest a nutritionist or dietician.  We have a decent link with Smart-tec and they are always willing to help out in that regard.    For the basic I advise try and have protein with every meal, eat often, carbs should only be before training, try and get a decent supply of iron and zinc. 

My circle - interesting one, I have a host of people on hand but my default is Alex Richardson, he's a top level coach, coached me for years runs a great club makes training fun and is always full of energy and passion for his athletes.  He has 2 sons aged 16 and 14 both are going to do big things in Weightlifting I feel.  The oldest has broke just about every British record on his way up and at 15 holds records in under 18/20 age groups at British level.  He's a little behind the Youth record (23 age group) but has a few years to make that.    His younger brother Blondie is ripping up Dan's records and is outgrowing him.  I suspect by the time Blondie is a senior he will be a 105kg or 105+ lifter.   Reminds me of Tommy Neil who competed at 3 Commonwealth games, only he's technically better and loves training. 

We done a group session on Saturday with 7 under 18's and the place was buzzing.  Record after record tumbling, they obviously don't count till comp but the belief it gives the young guys is amazing and then the praise they get from social media from their peers.  I sometimes wish we had facebook when I was younger.  Our "Wee Bear" Jason at aged 15 done a double clean and a jerk at 132kg weighing about 78kg.  He's a little over just now due to a 4 week break over Christmas/New Year.  So strong.  Him and Dan going toe to toe in the snatch balance, Dan has more flexibility, slightly better technically in the snatch but Jason lifts more being the heavier lifter.   On snatch Balance Dan was doing 122kg for singles, best snatch of 95kg.  So when he starts comp lifts he has a real strong base.  Jason done a treble at 120kg but couldn't get the 122kg.   He was raging.  I love how competitive our boys are but they are best of mates.   

Are they all intending on doing it further, i.e. Olympic level?

Huge numbers though, I watch some of the Chinese guys training and I am just like how do these guys do it.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 09, 2016, 04:01:40 PM »

Cheers for the reps advice. I am going to concentrate on getting a nice buzz from the last rep and work a little harder to get to failure and worry less about sets. I'm being under worked I think.

You say 10 8 8 Iraise. Does that mean 3 sets following those reps for each? Looking back whenever I feel I am working well I can never really do as many reps as I did on the previous attempt.

I am going to work from the buzz feeling after as well. I seem to get it much more with leg workouts because I am more confident with them and I go harder. I think it's a confidence issue with my upper body, it's less built and I'm being too wary of injury.

And btw Evilpie, I did squats two weeks ago for the first time and because I had never really done a leg movement where my hamstrings were getting worked past 90 degrees crunching close to my calves I had a harsh strain that took about a week to heal properly. I don't think i ever gave them work like that before in terms of type of movement. I hope you don't suffer as I did. At the time I thought all was well and a strain would never be on the cards because I felt good and I was careful but it happened anyway and became apparent a day later. I know for next time to build up really slowly to get my hamstrings used to the movement.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 09, 2016, 04:30:06 PM »

And btw Evilpie, I did squats two weeks ago for the first time and because I had never really done a leg movement where my hamstrings were getting worked past 90 degrees crunching close to my calves I had a harsh strain that took about a week to heal properly. I don't think i ever gave them work like that before in terms of type of movement. I hope you don't suffer as I did. At the time I thought all was well and a strain would never be on the cards because I felt good and I was careful but it happened anyway and became apparent a day later. I know for next time to build up really slowly to get my hamstrings used to the movement.

I'm pretty sure I'll be okay as I've taken it very carefully. I've spent a few months building up to 110kg not going past parallel and now I'm squatting deeper but with less weight.

My flexibility is really good and I stretch continually during and then after my session. My hamstrings are very supple at the moment to the point where I can almost get palms to the floor with straight legs. I'd be very surprised if anything untoward happened but you never know.....

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 09, 2016, 05:09:21 PM »

@ Iraise - the dream of any young athlete is to go as far as you can, in British terms I think you have to be happy making CWG's or Europeans.   We really are years behind other countries.  Is that due to PED's?  I'd say yes. 

Re Squats.  Deep squatting is best for all round strength.  the lowers you get should also allow your levers to kick in when coming back up.   Flexibility is key, rather than use plates (which are ok, over a short period) we use wood in the Gym of various thicknesses reducing the thickness over a period of time.  Obviously increasing flexibility generally is of huge benefit.  I am trying to get the boys to consider Bikram Yoga - they think its all a bit not too manly! 

Trainers aren't really great for heavy lifting at all they don't provide the support and can over the long term cause issues with joints/mobility.  If not prepared to pay for a decent pair of lifting shoes I'd go for a pair of boots.  You might look a bit daft but you know your providing a solid base to work from.   
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 09, 2016, 05:14:55 PM »

I like to lift barefoot when I can for that reason.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 09, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »

My flexibility is really good and I stretch continually during and then after my session. My hamstrings are very supple at the moment to the point where I can almost get palms to the floor with straight legs.

FFS can you give me something? Cheesy I thought I had better flexibility over you guys, but i'm crap at that too it seems Smiley
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 09, 2016, 10:15:23 PM »

I changed it up at the gym tonight. I did max 2 sets of everything and felt a lot better, got a good pump and felt like my muscles were really being worked for the first time on my upper body routine for EVERY set i did.

I think when doing four of some i was not going too hard in the early ones to save myself for the last ones, so a lot of the sets turned into a waste.

I went very hard with every set tonight with the second set always being slightly less as i pushed to failure again.

I found I enjoyed myself more and did things more quickly as i wasn't wasting time in an avoidant daunted state that i was only about to start set 2 of a tough movement and i would have to do four of them Smiley

Definitely is going to make me enjoy things more and it gives you the flexibility to do more different routines so I think things are going to be a lot more fun.

Probably such a rookie realisation, but its progress Cheesy
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 09, 2016, 10:26:23 PM »

@ Iraise - the dream of any young athlete is to go as far as you can, in British terms I think you have to be happy making CWG's or Europeans.   We really are years behind other countries.  Is that due to PED's?  I'd say yes. 

Re Squats.  Deep squatting is best for all round strength.  the lowers you get should also allow your levers to kick in when coming back up.   Flexibility is key, rather than use plates (which are ok, over a short period) we use wood in the Gym of various thicknesses reducing the thickness over a period of time.  Obviously increasing flexibility generally is of huge benefit.  I am trying to get the boys to consider Bikram Yoga - they think its all a bit not too manly! 

Trainers aren't really great for heavy lifting at all they don't provide the support and can over the long term cause issues with joints/mobility.  If not prepared to pay for a decent pair of lifting shoes I'd go for a pair of boots.  You might look a bit daft but you know your providing a solid base to work from.   

Agree with most of that, I love the wood idea with variety of thickness. I do keep saying I am going to get actual shoes. The platform they have at the gym is probably good/grippy enough for me to go bare foot.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 09, 2016, 10:34:28 PM »

Squats tomorrow, not overly looking forward to it. Want 3x5 at 110 which is incredibly inferior to some of the OL numbers that are flying around.

We shall see tomorrow if the confidence comes. I volunteer at the MS/Parkinsons class tomorrow and they normally do leave me with high morale. So could be a saviour.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: